Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella admits giving up on Windows Phone and mobile was a mistake

From theVerge:

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella admits giving up on Windows Phone and mobile was a mistake - The Verge

Really, Nadella? NOW, you figure this out…???

7 Likes

Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa…

1 Like

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. And, the only guy who could have pulled it off is now working for Amazon. How is that guy still in charge?

3 Likes

When the insane run the asylum…

Peter Principle? Actually Wall Street loves him - cuts workers, programs

You are so gracious. I’d call him a seagull manager.

2 Likes

A seagull? Pls elaborate.

As for Nadella’s actual comment -

NO DUH, and add Surface Duo and Surface Neo…

6 Likes

I just saw this quote from that squirrel Nadella on WindowsCentral:

“Yes. The curation of culture, and the holding of standards as a leader, becomes the most important thing. Because everybody can sense the difference between what you say and what you do. Over the years, I would sometimes say some stuff, but not really mean it. And then, well, that doesn’t work. That’s why getting what you think, what you say, and what you do aligned is a struggle. That’s not easy. It might be easy to say, but it’s not an easy thing to practice.” (emphasis added)

You mean it is HARD to tell the truth?

1 Like

Nadella:
Star Trek GIFs

I don’t know how he even became CEO. There’s no imagination in him. I don’t get the impression he has any passion (other than for cricket).

Gates and Ballmer were weird, greedy, conniving, ruthless, made lots of mistakes, and probably weren’t great to work with, but they had passion, enthusiasm, and ingenuity. Oh, and were successful.

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

He says this with a straight face while killing Surface Duo and is actively working on gutting the Surface Devices devision… wow.

5 Likes

My choice of caricatures above was intentional, not just comic…

4 Likes

Always found it a shame they did not reduce number of devices and investments and just hold a foot in the door. They would have had synergy with the then growing Surface devices, xbox apps and eventually replace WP with WOA + phone skin (kind of like Asus does with the Ally). Than foldable screen for almost Surface Go like experience.

4 Likes

Agreed. They had a hit with the ridiculously affordable and surprisingly functional Lumia 650. Imo they could have kept selling devices like that worldwide in high volume for years just to keep WP app development alive. Something like that plus the Lumia 950XL for the enthusiasts. Then again, they would have also had to keep Here Maps actively updated, because Google boycotting maps on WP and killing Waze on WP didn’t help. Instead MS chose to roll over.

6 Likes

Microsoft very easily have the spare money to have had developers make and maintain apps for all the key services.

$69 billion on a very profitable, but not really influential anymore gaming company yet a few million to keep their foot in the door elsewhere is too much. Not to mention money bonfires like Redfall.

2 Likes

, yeah I think they could have (continued) to cover the basics at least in Europe (where whatsapp is dominant and in eg Italy MS had a good market share). Than offer like 4-5 years of security updates to have an easy advantage over other budget phones. MS Maps was also not that bad iirc and I believe there are workarounds for Google apps on WOA.
I really liked my 950 XL (except for some bugs) and ability to run UWP apps, but oh well at least there are other good Samsung phones with decent Windows integration. Also curious what the future will bring for Fairphone and Nokia XR (I read that HMD will start producing phones in Europe, most of there phones are very budget but the XR21 is a solid rugged phone).

2 Likes