Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella admits giving up on Windows Phone and mobile was a mistake

I still, to this day, believe that MS missed the biggest opportunity ever. Minecraft.

They ‘should’ have slapped a really great version of Minecraft or ANYTHING to do with Minecraft, on their phones/devices. Get the youngsters, the adults will follow. Looking ‘cool’ is, after all, one of those things.

P.s. The Duo did not look like a cool device. It needed colour. The Duo 2, with the bumpers, wasn’t as bad.

3 Likes

Windows phone didn’t stand any chance with Google’s concerted efforts to keep all their apps away from the platform. Can’t blame Google either because Windows phone would have sunk Android.
Ms’s constant reboot of the platform made sure devs never trusted them in any way.

3 Likes

Eh, YouTube is really the only one and there are a fair few workarounds for that even now.

Google were never going to damage their own search and productivity suite.

Microsoft just didn’t bung enough developers and the right developers enough cash.

It’s the banking, insurance, healthcare, etc. apps that you really need. Plus a smattering of social media ones.

2 Likes

Banking was a big one for me. I had Windows phones for a long time, but when my bank dropped their app from Windows phone was when I finally switched to Android.

1 Like

I don’t remember which app it was but when it finally stopped working, it was time to dump my phone. That HP Elite X3 was the best phone I have ever owned.

4 Likes

I loved mine. It was the last Windows phone I bought, and just enough wider to make the aspect ratio better.

RIP.

2 Likes

Maybe I’ve been a bit too harsh with Nadella - with Google-Apple so deeply in bed on search, how was M$ going to compete in the mobile market:

1 Like

No. You have not. Microsoft profits in 2021 were $115,856B. In 2022, they were up by 17.6% at $135,620B. Ms stockholders have no reason to gripe.

The Surface is a revolutionary device that has rekindled interest in Windows as an OS. Windows as an OS is still the touchstone for all of MS’s other products. AI is largely smoke and mirrors and I think the world is catching on a bit. Don’t get me wrong, the level of predictive accuracy that is the by-product of “AI” modeling has its place. But, AI is clearly artificial and is not intelligent.

5 Likes

Here’s a theory: AI accuracy/efficacy will map against a bell curve similar to human IQs.

1 Like

Heaven help us then…

1 Like

Yes. That’s probably true. And, yes. Heaven help us.

1 Like

Even AI itself appears to agree…

4 Likes

The AI singularity nears.

I just wish they’d ****** well hurry up with it!

1 Like