M2 iPad Pro 11

Agreed.

BTW: We’ve heard through our display supply chain contacts that Apple would like to have miniLED in the 11, but it’s proving to be much more difficult than anticipated to get below the 12.9 size and have acceptable yields. Even the 12.9 is much lower in that respect than a conventional LED lit display.

2 Likes

BINGO - the M1 is already overkill; M2 would be like putting a Indy-class engine in a Chevy Spark…

#boomer #getoffmylawn #noteforlater #peguinsinsandals

Do you think there’s still a chance for a Pencil refresh coming along with M2, or would the analysts have picked that up by now?

This is raw speculation from someone who is not an engineer, but I’ve been thinking if they just upgraded the BT in it, maybe it would have less issues with tilt detection on the far edges of the screen. Sometimes if I’m shading at a low angle towards the edge of the screen, then move back in towards the middle while lifting the pencil back up to a normal writing-style position, there will be a delay in recognition — it will continue to make larger brush strikes like I still have it tilted, until I lift it off the screen and wait a few seconds for it to re-orient/re-acclimate itself.

I never did get down to an Apple store to see if this is common. Maybe I should try soon since my Applecare+ expires in, like, a month or less and this might have been the kind of thing you could request a replacement over, but I don’t know.

Bottom line is it’s not hard to confuse the Pencil going in and out of tilt at the edges of the screen in my experience, even if it has that strength over EMR of never going offset.

1 Like

Hm, I never noticed that before but I see the problem in Procreate. Oddly it’s limited to the right and bottom edges (held in portrait). Like probably most people, I move the canvas instead of drawing at the edge so the phenomenon never gets noticed.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that sometimes tilt gets confused, but it’s not always just edge of screen stuff. Sometimes when I change the size of my brush, then undo something, it thinks I’ve still got the pen tilted when I don’t.

1 Like

Sadly I’m suspicious that even if they do - only the most expensive iPad Pro 12.9’s will benefit.

BITE YOUR TONGUE! It better at least work with the 11" M1 iPad Pro…

More evidence that the M2 will likely be a minor performance jump. So first off, the idea of them being “stuck” is just, once again, clickbait. :frowning:

We of course are by no means authorities on what Apple will or wont do with their chips, but OTOH this is far more inline with the rumors /speculation in the supply chain.

TLDR; Apple is likely focusing on efficiency for the next gen, which will however set the stage for performance gains down the road.
which may mean that boasting a major chip improvement could be less important for this device.

iPhone 14 Pro and Redesigned MacBook Air Reportedly Stuck Using Technology Behind A15 Chip - MacRumors

2 Likes

Ah, but clickbait is the name of the game in today’s tech “journalism”. I expect to see a lot of headlines declaring to the effect that the Apple silicon momentum has stalled. :roll_eyes:

I do wonder if there’s any truth to the speculation that they might do something like increase the number of graphic cores from 7/8 to 9/10 while maintaining 8 compute cores and improving efficiency. Also, if they could bump it up to 32 GB max for the base M2 devices a lot of people will be happy. Not to mention if they could expand it so that more than one external monitor could be attached…

1 Like

Those are good questions. Our own chip expert has speculated that there are two potential issues with that. First of which is the law of diminishing returns when it comes to more cores, either general purpose or graphics. eg. a 4 core chip, with real world workloads are not twice as fast as a dual core chip, but at best ~80% or so faster.

The other, perhaps more concerning issue is the unified memory architecture in all of the ARM designs. In other words the memory interface and management of it are going to be increasingly the potential bottleneck and “faster RAM” like the new DDR5 and even DDR6 coming down the road are increasingly hitting the same constraints as CPUs such as clock speed etc.

I think Apple did some really smart things to get around that, especially with the M1 Ultra, but I suspect they are already looking at where to go next.

1 Like

It might be a “don’t hold your breath” situation anyway.

… so maybe next year around March when they usually announce stuff? An M2 in name only in the meantime?

Interesting, alternately an M1A???

Or M1S(nooze)…

1 Like

Tech journalism will be the tabloids it is.

But Apple, like many others before them, have picked all the low-hanging fruit. And like many others again, their advancement lies in many ways out if their hands.

TSMC to a lesser extent Samsung (though they’re in a spot of bother), and Intel (now that they seem to have sorted themselves out) are the ones that really matter.

New rumors on an M2 pro.

Now it seems just a chip change in the near term, with a design revamp in 2023…

Gurman: New iPad Pro Models With M2 Chip and Wireless Charging to Debut in September or October - MacRumors

Just in time to take advantage of iPadOS 16.

1 Like

I’ll drop this here since the general Apple category doesn’t let me make a new topic and it doesn’t quite fit any subcategories.

(There should be an Apple Silicon topic but I can’t make one.)

Anyway, it looks like it’s a worthwhile upgrade, at least for a workhorse device like my Mac mini. Which I had planned to upgrade to M2 from the start. The one I have has always been considered an interim device.

… I had more to write but my cat is being insistent about her morning walk.

Walking the cat

2 Likes

So do we think the iPad mini line will get the M2 with Stage Manager support? That would be pretty sweet. The most portable iPad, while still being able to do big-screen stuff when needed.

1 Like

That would be a real interesting development, but only if at least 512gb storage. My concern would be a travel keyboard because surely Apple won’t spring for a mini magic keyboard