M2 iPad Pro 11

1 Like

The M2 iPad Pro may bring a new Magic Keyboard with it, that looks to be a winner (per patents discussed at Max Tech at the 7:30 mark):

Been waiting for this new keyboard with better angles since I saw the original patent for it over a year ago. Iā€™ll be super excited if it actually happens.

Clickbait video. Cherry picked patents from among many approved patents that are mutually exclusive. Could Apple go with this rough design? Sure. Or one of probably dozens of others, or none of them. Thereā€™s not even a Gurman (or other leaker) rumor of a new Magic Keyboard yet.

2 Likes

Killjoy! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Macrumors put up a new article yesterday with ā€œdisplay analystā€ Ross Young reiterating the stuff I donā€™t think any of us wanted to hear, namely that only the 12.9ā€ is getting mini-LED again. The article sort of comes across as not being based on new information, but more like a reposting of what they thought weeks or months ago just to get some fresh clicks, but I donā€™t know.

This whole thing about ā€œweā€™re only giving the 12.9ā€ a cutting edge display because weā€™re trying to hold out until we can put OLED in everything in 2024, and finally catch up to Samsung after like 5 yearsā€ also just doesnā€™t seem to add up to me, but who knows.

1 Like

Think those comments were made by Young on their show 7/12 if I read the article correctly

1 Like

Yeah just noā€¦,

The reason that the 11 Pro doesnā€™t have mini LED yet is they are having significant challenges downsizing miniLED. Even the one used in the Pro 12.9 allegedly has way below typical yields from what we hear from our display partners

Which also BTW is why though youā€™ve seen some discounts on the 11 pro, the 12.9 ones are much more rare.

1 Like

I know I chirp a lot about wanting an upgraded iPP11 screen, but before I saw the MacBook Pro 14 mini-LED I would have said my iPP11 is the best screen Iā€™ve used, even compared to the Samsung Galaxy Book and HP Spectre x360 OLEDā€™s - I know, screen HERESY. But at the 11ā€™ size the pixels are invisible to my old eyes, and overall display quality is just that good.

1 Like

By the way, I tried very hard to see the halo effect on an iPad Pro 12.9 in the apple store in broad daylight, and I couldnā€™t convince myself that I could detect it. I went as far as drawing some white crosses and putting some white dots on an all-black screencap and zooming. Whenever I thought I was seeing it, I would pinch zoom and the halo would grow in size, and Iā€™m thinking thatā€™s not how zone backlighting works. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve actually been kind of a mini-LED fan for a little while now, almost like it took the place of how much I was pining back in 2019 on the old board for, like, Wacom professionally calibrated OLED screens. Oh how I spend my life :wink:

Desertlap wrote a really interesting post recently in another thread about OLEDs having problems with color drift after only a few months ā€” itā€™s like maybe Samsung has solved burn-in but Iā€™m over here wondering if this is still a real issue with their recent AMOLED Tabs. Bottom line is I think he likes the Liquid XDR displays the most right now and Iā€™ve been really onboard with that.

This is messed up but I even kind of get into the halo effect, sort of like how way back in the day I couldnā€™t wait to get off TN panels and onto IPS and literally either liked ghosting as some sort of abstract effect in my video games, or thought it was well worth it for the other perks. I just thought it was weirdly pleasant, or at least it wasnā€™t practically migraine-inducing like the viewing angles of your average 2000s-era TN.

I canā€™t remember which thread I posted it in, but the 12.9 miniLED iPad Pro has the best display weā€™ve ever tested in a mobile device , period.

The displays in the MacBook Pro 14 and 16 come in a very close second and third respectively.

Iā€™m a fan generally of OLED, especially in phones like my iPhone, but they have their own sets of issues too. Yes they have great contrast ratios compared to LCDs, but they are 99 times out of 100 not as accurate and they are extraordinarily hard to keep calibrated even under normal conditions as they drift significantly over their lifetime or for that matter even when doing something seemingly as basic as displaying a large swath of one color for more than a few minutes at a time.

No to mention that they also drift significantly with an ambient temperature change as little as 2 degrees Celsius. There are good reasons why Appleā€™s XDR and studio displays use LCD, or for that matter HPā€™s $5k plus DreamColor displays

3 Likes

So say we all!

1 Like

I feel like this is why they should Not move to OLED for the Pro model. There are enough artists who have switched over to primarily using the IPP that benefit from the better accuracy of the display. I would be very happy with miniLED as the standard for Pro and move to OLED for Air/Mini models.

1 Like

Thank you. Iā€™ve been hesitant to opine the same thing, even wondering if my eyes deceive me or senility is setting in. The only difference is that I have yet to see a miniLED screenā€¦ and now I shall endeavor to never do so unless and until I intend to buy one. Why spoil my feeling that Iā€™m using the best screen I have ever used? :wink:

1 Like

One thing I always keep in mind is never say never with anything in technology. And OLED is a much newer tech than conventional LCD tech and thus is still in relatively rapid improvement stages compared to LCD where the biggest improvements in the last decade, nano aka QLED and miniLED are in the scheme of things , incremental improvements.

In other words Iā€™m not ruling out OLED in anything, I just hope Apple hold off on that until they can get an OLED that at least meets (and hopefully exceeds) current LCD tech.

And there are a bunch of promising new OLED related developments in the works that may do just that, and we should start seeing them in actual products, possibly as soon as late this year

2 Likes

DO NOT compare to the iPad Pro 12.9 or MacBook Pro 14 - miniLED is stunning - BUT - it AINā€™T ever coming to iPad Pro 11, so no loss there, if you get my drift.

And you and me ARE RIGHT (old eyes or not) the iPad Pro 11 screen is terrific in its own right.

1 Like

Intreresting, the Adonit Neo Pro pencil magnetically attaches and inductively charges on the iPad. Looks like pretty close match to the Apple version, but at less than half the price ($45). Not yet released, but the website looks like this will actually happen. Preorders available.

https://www.adonit.net/neo-series/#NeoPro

1 Like

Tilt but no pressure sensitivity on the $45 Pro. That said, I liked my previous Adonit for note taking on my iPad mini. It had neither tilt nor pressure but you donā€™t need either for annotations.

1 Like

Wow, how did I miss that! Thatā€™s a pretty important downside. Otherwise looks like a good product.