M2 iPad Pro 11

But think about an example where you have to quickly pull together case files to send off or back up. You’d have to individually assemble all those specific searches into a new folder, instead of searching one keyword and bam, zipping up the search results.

The system indexes the files regardless if you use tags, but tags provide that optional added layer of searching speed.

But that has a MAJOR human failure point - ME! If I fail to tag a document; mis-tag it; or just fail to use the same tag EVERY TIME, it won’t be found by that search.

Even in those cases, tagging wouldn’t be slower; you could fall back to your old method of searching.

Think about it like this, you are too lazy to tag consistently, ok granted, but sometimes you may want to flag a few files for a specific reasons (high priority, doubtful source, needs editing, etc.).

In these cases, it would be easier to recall the tag, than to do a specific search string for every included file, right?

I’m LAZY old buddy and I just want the computer to do the searching for me.

In reality, this goes back to the early days of computing. In the DOS and early Windows days you really needed to use “keywords” associated with each file (primitive tags) or even index your files by keyword in a database or spreadsheet. It was a LOT of extra work to me.

1 Like

Ugh^*%! Remind me never to get into an argument with a lawyer. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

:rofl: :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Pretty illuminating there my old friend. Glad to see you are happy with your transition. I’m sticking to my trogodyte ways.

2 Likes

@dstrauss @Marty @Bronsky You guys make me chuckle at times. And just to throw fuel on the fire of all this. Apple is allegedly woking on unifying the functionality between finder on the Mac and the files app along with Tags on IOS with possibly the first version appearing in IOS16

No idea what the end result will be yet, though I hope it won’t be what they did to iMovie a few years ago, especially the Mac side, which dumbed down or hid a bunch of functionality.

BTW @Marty have you become a convert to tags?

I’m a junior initiate, let’s say. :wink:

Over the past couple of days, I’ve been examining my data storage to see how tags could enable more streamlined filing and retrieval. I’ve found (counter-intuitively to the dinosaurs :stuck_out_tongue:) that tags enable you to use file trees more naturally, since you never have to worry about accounting for multiple relationships when creating directories.

My main barrier to ‘full conversion’ is finding a way to read (and hopefully write) Apple tags on Windows devices. Do you happen to know of any utility/shell extension to interact with APFS extended attributes on Win11?

That’s the current Achilles heel at this point. I know of at least two companies that are developing file system “plug ins” which are new to Windows 11 and that are in Alpha at the moment. I can’t disclose who yet due to NDA, but both expect to have releases later this year.

And yes tags has become a major productivity boost on my Mac, now that I have some workable knowledge in using them.

1 Like

Sounds promising, please keep us updated where possible.

:bulb: I just saw a use - if I Tag (keyword) a document with the tag “Form” and then the type of form, like “Deed” I wouldn’t have to keep all my forms in any one place - they could turn any client document into a form and could find all my deed forms that way. Does that make sense?

2 Likes

So the old dog can learn new tricks!

And it only took about 10000 words of (derailed) forum posts to get there. :laughing:

3 Likes

Never heard this euphemistic expression before. Is that it’s new name?:joy:

Its actually very old. Grew up with the euphemism when I was a kid in Philadelphia. Could be a local saying.

2 Likes

I’d say it’s even regional in the US. I heard it as a kid growing up in Michigan, but when later living and working in Georgia they have their own colorful terms…

1 Like

I’ve heard that term on tv, but also locally here in Hollywood as a kid.

1 Like

Right up there with “Luca sleeps with the fishes.” I used to hear it across the lake from @Desertlap in Wisconsin…

1 Like

Thank you for that bit of advice. I might have made a regrettable mistake otherwise. I was able to find a Magic Keyboard for $187 via an expired Slickdeals listing (not the first time—such deals sometimes come back into stock without anyone noticing). Supposedly new but we’ll see.

2 Likes

Gurman predicts M2 iPad Pro refresh this coming autumn. MagSafe charging; no mention of miniLED for the 11”.

Comments lean to “what’s the point unless they do something with iPadOS?”

Yup.

4 Likes