Let's talk about the next big tech event

Latest we heard yesterday was that a new Nothing Phone, would make its debut there, with at least one major US carrier 's support.

1 Like

Didnā€™t you also say that we could expect some smaller form factor WOA devices, but sadly without OLED? Is CES the event where we will see these?

I heard that back in the fall, but nothing since. It was at least two of the big OEMs. The big thing was that they were going to use a new gen of the Snapdragon 7xx, but so far Qualcommā€™s been quiet on that front though perhaps a joint announcement is possible.

1 Like

Well, if both of those OEMs are listed here, thereā€™s a chance. Are they? Iā€™m thinking commenting on that would not be breaking an NDA, since thereā€™s so many on there.

Six days to go until CES 2023, and we already have two things to look forward to:

Hoping for a few more surprises, preferably small and running WOA.

1 Like

PC Mag weighing in on what they expect at CES

What We Expect to See at CES 2023 | PCMag

1 Like

Apparently thereā€™s a Samsung event on Feb 1st:

1 Like

MWC (the Mobile World Congress) is coming up in a few weeks, Feb 27-March 2, Barcelona. Curious if weā€™ll see any WOA devices.

Have not seen anything even under NDA that is going to be announced. That being said the companies do sometimes surprise.

Also the two new WOA devices we heard about last fall are still MIA. Not sure if they are just delayed or killed outright, however.

PS: that could be down to the dependence on a new, so far unannounced Qualcomm chip which rumor says has been delayed

1 Like

MWC is about to start. Hereā€™s an early announcement, letā€™s hope thereā€™s many more - hopefully good ones - to follow!

Anyone here ever see this kind of display in person?

Hereā€™s another announcement: the ideapad 3i

And another one:

1 Like

We tested the previous version last year. The TLDR is it has a mediocre display generally with some minor issues with uniformity, linearity, and color accuracy (runs toward the cool end in color balance).

OTOH everyone that used it with a pen really liked it saying that it was among the closest ā€œpaper likeā€ feel you could get in a tablet.

BTW: The biggest concern I have with TCLs android devices is their so far almost complete lack of coherent/consistent OS/security update policy. eg. the one unit we have in the company has gotten exactly two minor security updates since its release with no answer if/when it will get Android 13 or beyond, despite numerous inquiries by both us and customers.

1 Like

Iā€™m not attending MWC this year, but we do have one of our salespeople in attendance.

So far what she found getting the most interest at the Lenovo booth was these two devices. They are upgrades to existing products, but both the new touchpad tech and the Dolby Voice tech microphones will provide significant benefits for something that we all do far more of since the onset of the pandemic which is video calls.

Lenovo ThinkPad Z13 and Z16 Gen 2 hands-on: Slick updates for hybrid work | Engadget

PS: The article doesnā€™t explicitly mention it. but MS teams already has built in support for both features

1 Like

Well, you called it! Itā€™s been a pretty disappointing MWC so far. No sighting of the device I want most right now: a sub 11ā€ Windows tablet with pen, OLED and kickstand, that is not slow as molasses. On the upside, Iā€™m not spending a lot of money on tech these days!

Well, MWC finished with not too much excitement.

Next up: Appleā€™s Spring event. Last year it was March 8 2022 and featured the Mac Studio and Studio Display, a new iPad Air, a new iPhone SE, and a new color for the Fall 2021 iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro (green).

Hereā€™s hoping for a new iPhone mini (not likely) and an iPhone XMax Scribe (even less likely).

Iā€™m guessing youā€™re referring to the iPad mini since the Mac mini just got updated. Those have been coming out in September:

So yeah, not likely for this month. But Apple isnā€™t locked into that September cadence so thereā€™s hope. It usually mirrors the Air as well, exact specs just downsized, so we can expect an M2 etc. Might be tempting if they throw in 120Hz Pro Motion as an apology for the jelly scroll thing last time. :smile_cat:

1 Like

dā€™Oh! Sorry, I meant iPhone mini.

Rumor sources in our chain say donā€™t expect a new iPad Mini until at the absolute earliest when the iPhone 15 comes, and more likely some time in early 2024.

And Apple has a history of letting certain product lines including the mini go 18 months plus before getting even a minor update.

Ha ha, I actually forgot there was a mini iPhone. I would be tempted if it came back with a decent camera.

1 Like

Better camera would be great, and the battery life of the 12 mini is the other reason Iā€™ve be stealing glances at an iPhone 13 mini. Wouldnā€™t mind having that fancy satellite SOS feature either, but not a hard requirement.