Let's talk about the next big tech event

Album art possible on the lock screen, another Windows Phone feature added. :slight_smile: Next up ā€œGlance screenā€ please, which Iā€™ve seen rumored as well. Maybe when the new iPhones come out, not announced today.

Donā€™t neglect the emoji lock screen!

And I think this is the first time Iā€™ve ever used the iPhone PIP for anything. Letting the live presentation play in a corner while browsing the net.

1 Like

@Dellaster funny, Iā€™m also using it on my iphone mini as one of the rare times.

Hm, there might be a hardware surprise after all.

I just bought a Mac mini so itā€™s gotta be that. An M2 Mac mini. :vb-agree:

1 Like

Theyā€™re talking about the M2, so you might be right :+1:t2:

Edit: first device is an M2 MacBook Air

1 Like

And MacBook Pro 13, both available in a month. Not the mini. I do plan to upgrade but not so soon! Whew, dodged the bullet.

1 Like

OMG the native weather app is coming to the iPad in iOS 16, hallelujah!

Introducing fast charge makes me believe we will see it for iPhones and iPads in the not too distant future.

Next Apple event rumored to happen on Sept 7:

The latest The Verge article on the next Apple event (coming in two weeks).

Expected changes to the iPhone Pro line

• always-on display (2015 Lumia 950XL says hi)
  • bigger camera sensor
  • camera cutouts instead of a notch
  • faster (duh)

2010 Nokia N8, C7, C6-01 and E7 say hi. Well, the 2009 N86 before that even. And Iā€™m sure there are even earlier examples.

1 Like

The MS Surface Event is scheduled for Wednesday October 12, three weeks from now.

Edit: already being discussed in the speculation thread

Itā€™s probably not going to contain much of interest to folks here, but it is a tech event that happens tomorrow, Oct 6:

Iā€™m curious about the Google Pixel Watch and how it compares to Apple & Samsung.

1 Like

Interesting, I was seeing lots of Google related announcements in my tech feeds, and assumed something was already going on. Apparently not!

It should see the formal release announcement of the new Google tablet. Though some rumors say it may not actually be called Pixel tablet, so itā€™s unclear what that means besides the name.

It also should be the first full feature implementation of USI 2.0

3 Likes

Itā€™s a ā€œPixel Tabletā€ but more like a detachable Google Nest display, base unit sold separately or maybe in a bundle. No stylus shown or mentioned. Hmm. Itā€™s also the only announced product that isnā€™t up for pre-order yetā€”unlike the others it isnā€™t even mentioned on Googleā€™s siteā€”nor is there any writeup in the tech websites yet so specs are unknown. Itā€™s like itā€™s an afterthought.

1 Like

Yeah, got some clarification on this. Apparently, itā€™s dependent on a next gen Tensor chipset which allegedly isnā€™t ready yet (delayed.)

OTOH, claims are that it will be an iPad Pro competitor so youā€™d think that would have to mean it has pen support.

Allegedly they are now shooting for a CES 2023 release.

2 Likes

The Pixel Tablet will use the same Tensor G2 chipset as the Pixel 7 & 7 Pro so the delay till ā€œsometime in 2023ā€ must be due to production limitations and priority. The docking speaker indeed also turns it into a Nest Hub.

Edit: the article mentions unspecified pen capability near the end.

1 Like

Unofficially what we hear is that itā€™s actually a tablet specific variant of the Tensor G2. Similar to what Apple did with the A12 which was in the iPhone and the A12X in the iPad Pros.

And we have specific confirmation from Google that the pen will be USI 2.0, but no precise feature list yet.

3 Likes

Weā€™re less than a month away from CES 2023, starting on Jan 5th in Las Vegas. Anybody hear any good rumors yet?