Let's talk about the next big tech event

Throughout the year there are many product releases and tech conventions. If you spot a new event coming up please post here. For any of the big ones we can make a dedicated thread so we can discuss product announcements as they’re made.

Some key events and approximate dates:

January: Consumer Electronics Show (CES)
February: Mobile world congress (MWC)
March/April: Apple’s random new stuff Spring event (Mac Studio, iPad Air, iPhone SE)
May: Microsoft Build developer conference
June: Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference (iOS, MacOS)
September: Apple’s Fall event (iPhones, iPads, Apple Watch), Microsoft’s Surface event
October: Apple Macbook event, last time including audio products

This year’s Mobile World Congress hasn’t even started, but @Desertlap already spotted the world’s first ARM-based ThinkPad!

1 Like

Next up: Apple’s Spring event at March 8th. The Verge mentions a new iPhone SE and maybe a new iPad Air. And a commenter mentions that there’s a chance of Apple’s rumored AR/VR offering.

And guesses from Ars Technica

1 Like

Apple’s spring event is happening today, let’s see what they’ve got!

1 Like

Was hoping Apple would have something on AR, as unlikely as it was.

2 Likes

Yeah, new iPad Air, new 5k 27" monitor, 27" mac discontinued, a new iphone SE, and a new “Mac Studio”: a compact powerhouse with doubled-up M1 max (huh?). Did I miss anything?

1 Like

Probably doesn’t count as a “big event”, but Google I/O is currently going on, May 11- May 12.

Edit: surprising no one, the Pixel watch is indeed coming, Fall 22

And the Pixel 6a will include Google’s top of the line SoC for $449, not bad!

1 Like

Gotta say, I like how it looks. But since it’s Google I’d feel like I was wearing one of those criminal parole monitor bands, being watched all the time. Not something I watch; something that watches me. :fearful:

2 Likes

Apple’s WWDC coming up on June 6

Apple is expected to showcase iOS 16, iPadOS 16, watchOS 9, tvOS 16 and the next version of macOS during the conference. The company might also talk about its upcoming M2 chips that it’s reportedly testing on at least nine new Mac models.

1 Like

I had completely missed that MS Build has started.

1 Like

Apple’s WWDC will start on June 6. Will it involve Apple Avatars and an AR/VR push?

:roll_eyes: Whatever. I’ll keep my expectations low for iPadOS so I can’t be disappointed again.

1 Like

Ars’ thoughts on WWDC:

Doesn’t it have a gigantic bezel?

No idea, I was just going by the images.

So was I, hence the question.
But yes, it looks better than the Apple Watch.

I don’t think they’ve let anyone see the real thing, or those people are under NDA. If it has huge bezels then it won’t look nearly as good. I’m not sure I’d say that I like it better than the Apple Watch but I certainly like it a lot better than the Samsung watch.

1 Like

I think there were some images where you could make out the bezel if you boosted the contrast. Looked pretty small.

1 Like

MacRumors did a decent wrap up of past WWDC hardware announcements. Except for the much-delayed Mac Pro in 2019 they were all new products that developers might need to get up to speed on. The last one being the Apple Silicon Transition Mac Mini for developers. People hoping for an iPad or MacBook product refresh to M2 will almost certainly be disappointed. But I guess just because it hasn’t happened before doesn’t mean it can’t happen. I mean, it’s a magical event, right? :mind_blown:

1 Like

Apple Keynote underway:

https://live.arstechnica.com/apples-wwdc-2022-keynote/