iPad Pro with "Pro Mode" and/or dual booting Mac OS?

It’s much more minimalist than that sprawling feature-full Notepad!

2 Likes

I use Scrivener–since it also exports epub, and it has a windows version. With the emergence of Atticus, I don’t even need a mac for Vellum anymore. :slight_smile:

I, also, would find it distracting…like you said–each to his or her own…

IS IT REALLY COMING AT WWDC?

Some respected developers have been have been pointing to new multi-tasking features in WebKit as signs of a real change in iPadOS:

Like Troughton-Smith I have severe reservations from having been burned so badly by iPadOS rumors that sunk like a brick, but is this a glimmer of hope?

3 Likes

Hard to tell, but to possibly pour cold water on this, WebKit is cross platform between MacOS and IOS and since day one there has been stuff in each that is unique to each OS.

TLDR: not impossible, but also improbable IMHO.

2 Likes

:crystal_ball: :cry: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

Are some of us (even noted developers) so desperate for a real iPadOS that we cling to any bread crumb…

YOU BET YOUR SWEET A$$ WE DO!

Tim just weighed in…

SUCKERS!!!

2 Likes

For folks who were confused by this (I was), please see:

2 Likes

Would prefer something like Dex
Just need the following when connected to docking station etc

• duplicate / extend when connected to external monitor
  • able to run free sizing windows that don’t sleep @ background

I don’t believe Apple will allow dual boot due to the clunky mechanism of needing to resize partition for diff OS and rebooting to access

Oh man, I would so switch back to the mac ecosystem if I can use mac os on my iPad Pro…

But it ain’t happenin’.

@Eltos - I know in my heart you are right, and it is even sadder because this would be the perfect solution for so many power users. In fact, a special sku of the iPad, my fabled MacPad, based on a 12.9" iPad Pro with 16gb ram, 2tb ssd (for the necessary two partitions), and updated Magic Keyboard would sell out in a heartbeat…

PS - I’d even live with total lockdown - on keyboard MacOS only; off keyboard iPadOS only; all data stored on a common partition…

1 Like

@dstrauss - You are so correct! iPads would go from the odd tech out to outselling the Macbook Air…Maybe if we all cross our fingers? :smiley:

1 Like

Basically they would replace the MBA, which on the surface looks like a good idea, but when you dig in, a MacPad Air, with the magic keyboard and dual OS for docked/undocked, would be significantly more expensive than the MBA. So now you’ve got the power user MBPs which cost the same as the MacPad Airs, and nothing for the folks who want a cheaper, but still overly priced Apple laptop. The MacPad Air would either eat into the MBA’s margins too much, or it wouldn’t sell enough units at all at the price point it would need to be.

While I very much would love one, (though I want an 11", not 12.9), I don’t know how much I could stomach dishing out $3k for a device that the only thing it offers over my 2 piece combo MBP and IPP, is basically lighter weight when carrying it around. If I hadn’t already paid basically that price, and didn’t have either device, maybe it would be tempting, but how many people are in the need a replacement for both now boat?

2 Likes

Pick me! Pick me! :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

Keyboards.

An essential component in my quest for a one iPad solution. As the benchmark I use my ESR magnetic folio (no keyboard). Total weight with iPad and Pencil is 1lb 10oz. In comparison:

SmartKeyboard 1lb 12oz
Magic Keyboard 2lb 6oz (and bulky)
Combo Touch 2lb 10oz (bulkier)

What really struck me is I don’t like the keyboard layout on the Magic Keyboard. There is a half-size key between left shift and Z, and I end up with a ` more than half the time when capitalizing a letter - maybe I can “learn” but it is already too cramped on the 11” iPad Pro - and no, not interested in upsizing to 12.9 (well, maybe will change my mind on June 6).

1 Like

Hmm? Maybe on the Smart Keyboard?

Magic Keyboard 11”

2 Likes

Steve Jobs said don’t be afraid to cannibalize yourself. They need to make a compelling reason for the Pro line to be the Pro line.

That said, I agree with you. Ain’t happening. But a feller can dream right?

3 Likes

Here’s the culprit

Definitely not the same. Is that the euro version?

Edit: seems to be the UK layout.

2 Likes

That is the UK layout. BTW: We’ve seen where when a non USA keyboard is connected to a USA iPad, when you do a major OS update such as the upcoming 15 to 16, the OS localization will switch to whatever the keyboard is.

You can avoid that if you do the upgrade without the keyboard attached, but it would be easy to forget about until after the fact.

1 Like

Thanks guys - it’s going back to seller. I can’t deal with it.