I Want a MacPad!

I did this, but it really is kludgy. Hackintoshes are miserable beasts that have an issue just when you need them most.

Iā€™m not advocating a Hackintosh - just dispelling the notion that MacOS wonā€™t work in a touch environment - aka on an iPad Pro - because it CLEARLY DOES on a third party hacking project right out of the box.

To me this is proof that Apple is screwing itā€™s iPad Pro usersā€¦

3 Likes

YES! 100% Yes! I watched the video and he is right. That is much more stable than when I did it on my SP2 years ago. And it absolutely does prove that touch and pen would work just fine!

They simply donā€™t care and my macpad dreams are definitely dead at this point. :frowning:

1 Like

AMEN - for heavenā€™s sake it is running on MICROSOFT SPECIFIC HARDWARE - especially the pen input!

2 Likes

I feel like the only question left is whether I want a Surface Pro device to go with my Windows laptopā€”which would mean I wouldnā€™t have to cater to the weirdness of iOS/iPadOS.

As an example, for Scrivener, I have to use Dropbox to sync with iPadOS Scrivener. For Obsidian, I have to use iCloud Drive to sync with iPadOS Obsidian. Instead I could use my personal cloud server for both.

But the App experience would probably be worse (unless MS comes through with a great Android experienceā€”Bluestacks was terrible). Can I live with worse and get a full device?

Kinda ironic.

Maybe a small ray of hope - one of the toughest critics thinks thereā€™s promise in the iPadOS 17 Stage Manager

@Desertlap gave us a glimmer of hope that more robust (full feature) versions of major software titles may be coming to iPad.

Now, if they would just give us a REAL hierarchical file manager and unrestricted support for external storage, we are thereā€¦

3 Likes

You also need the ability to run arbitrary applications, including developer tools.

2 Likes

Donā€™t see that weā€™ll ever get that given there was no XCode announcementā€¦

1 Like

Yes, it kills me that doing any sort of even scripting/automation on the iPad is so difficult.

2 Likes

Every time I see a ray of hope on the MacPad front I come back to the reality that I would vote 100% for an 11" Intel Surface Pro with 5g, but for my reliance (addiction) on iMessage, FaceTime, and News+. It also makes it perfectly clear to me there will NEVER be an iMessage or FaceTime for Android or Windows.

So despite my posts and interests here in the forums, I am resigning myself to a life of Surface Pro plus an iPhone 15 Pro Max going forward this fall. Whether it is my trusty SP8 or a dreamed of 11" SP10 5g is still in question. Seems that 5g is being strictly reserved for ARM, so LTE is looking like the present and future for now.

2 Likes

Youā€™ll be back tilting at that windmill again. Itā€™s inevitable.

2 Likes

That actually looks quite nice and definitely solves one of my greatest pain points! Like you said, just need a real file manager and it could maybe workā€¦

Installed the beta and I donā€™t know. I played with the new Stage Manager for a few minutes, and it still sucks. Too much wasted spaceā€”not enough freedom on where to place apps. Canā€™t even have total freedom on what size to make apps. And then the settings app has different sizes available than the firefox app. Just a mess. Trips my OCD. Ugg.

Why am I not surprised? :vb-disagree:

Why am I continuing to follow Appleā€™s technology Batan death march for the iPad? :cry:

Why do I pursue the 2.7 oz lighter iPad Pro? :vb-crazy:

Time to withdraw to the new Plan A - Surface Pro + iPhone 15 Pro Max and go off into the sunsetā€¦ :vb-surrender:

AND NO skeptical snark old pals (especially you Ted @Dellaster) :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It is still a long way from being a MacPad, but iPadOS 17 appears to be bringing the iPad Pro closer to a laptop alternative (taking @Dellaster 's admonition about lowering expectations and have dropped the ā€œreplacementā€ term) - Fernando is a serious iPad supporter, but still a good feature reviewer:

NOW:

For Apple:

Letā€™s add ā€œsnapā€ to that window management
Please, please, please beef up Files
Lighter and more screen adjustable magic keyboard (unicorny?)

M$ youā€™re up to bat next:
Really need more robust Office 365 (and easier multi-windows of the same app - 2 or more Word docs)
More parity of OneNote with Windows features
Better support for OneDrive

2 Likes

A quick follow up to Fernandoā€™s review - it still looks like 2024 will be the year to consider upgrade/switch for users, only because the rumor mill has focused on a few of critical improvements: M3 (3nm); OLED displays; and a landscape oriented camera. These three changes, and the obvious big price increase they will bring, are changes that will make a big difference long term for iPadOS development.

Yeah, I am surprised, but I find myself missing the camera on my Samsung Galaxy Book 3 Pro 360 (as opposed to previous usage of my Book 12) more than I was expecting.

I still wonder if MS isnā€™t missing a trick by making a small Android unit which runs only Outlook, OneNote, Teams, Word, and Excel, w/ an option to access Access databases.

Iā€™m sure they would say - you just described Surface Go 3, but WITHOUT the Android constraints. Maybe the rumored Surface Pro 11" will get us close(r)ā€¦

2 Likes

I see Iā€™m not the only one who has given up on a MacPad - even the Apple faithful (think Jason Snell = Daniel Rubino):

4 Likes