Honor Magic V2

This is a beautiful looking device - but looks to be China only for now…

2 Likes

… the Ultimate edition I got also includes the HONOR Magic Pencil stylus, although due to the software limitations I mentioned it doesn’t currently work with my review unit. HONOR tells me the stylus is supported on both the internal and external displays and it utilizes a “self-developed stroke prediction algorithm” for better accuracy and speed, with 0.42ms input latency.

It doesn’t look like EMR. MPP? AES?

Have to say I REALLY like the form factor and the ALL screen front screen ( I think the other review says its a 90% + screen to frame ratio.

Shame it’s a China only exclusive…

The giant pens look stupid with such a sleek foldable. C’mon ODM designers. Make a finished product.

The pen looks a lot like the Mate 20X pen, which worked surprisingly well, other than near the screen edges.

It probably is that, or very similar.

also includes the HONOR Magic Pencil stylus

• Magnetic pairing
  • Qi Wireless charging support
  • Charging for 30 seconds, 10 minutes use
  • Smooth and accurate for drawing, writing, painting
  • 10-hour battery life
  • 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity
  • Compatible with MatePad Pro
  • Seamless matte metal appearance
  • Original Huawei Accessories
1 Like

Almost makes me wish MS would just pay to rebrand this device and deliver to the US as SDuo 3.

2 Likes

All you have to do is tell Satya it is called the Honor AI and he’ll buy the company… :rofl:

3 Likes

I believe they are releasing an international version. But won’t sell it to the US but in Asia and Europe. That route open up some possibilities.

1 Like

Ah - the one adventure I had with the Toshiba Libretto…

Dimensions via GSMArena:

Google Pixel Fold
Unfolded: 158.7 x 139.7 x 5.8 mm
Folded: 139.7 x 79.5 x 12.1 mm

Honor Magic V2
Unfolded: 156.7 x 145.4 x 4.7 mm or 4.8 mm
Folded: 156.7 x 74.1 x 9.9 mm or 10.1 mm

Hats off to the Honor engineers on this one:

Even though the Pixel Fold went with thicker top/bottom bezels to accommodate the hinge (similar to the Duo), the Magic V2 still manages to have a slimmer profile (and slimmer bezels overall).

2 Likes

Recent updates (supposed global launch at IFA on September 1):

No mention, but shown with pen…and our old friends at Unbox Therapy are smitten…

Stop trying to tempt me with foldable phones!

This is seriously a tempting option though. I don’t think I’ll be able to get over the crease, but if I could, something this thin and light, with a pen, and it’s not Samsung, which I increasingly lose respect for. …

IF SDuo 3 is a no show, and IF I were inclined to keep an Android device (in spite of my continued annoyance with the UI on OneNote et. al.), This would get the nod over the Pixel Fold for both pen and battery life.

(And if my grandmother had wheels, she’d be a wagon.)

And if IFS and BUTS were CANDY and NUTS, what a wonderful Christmas it would be…

2 Likes

OOPS - MY BAD - didn’t see they have no pans to bring it to the U.S.

OK all you Android fans, here’s your foldable phone of the future - TODAY

It does support a stylus, but no info yet, and expected to cost LESS than the Galaxy Z Fold5 and Pixel Fold…

Now, how is Timmy and team going to top that - no, wait they are too busy with…

I like big goggles and I cannot lie!

I think they will release it in European markets in conjunction wit that Berlin event.

They went to great lengths to show off their 3d printed titanium shaft. :grimacing:

1 Like

Ok. The global version is available with Google Services installed. Its available from Wonda Mobile and others. Several Redittors report successful use with US carriers. This guy has several decent review videos:

Is the HONOR Magic V2 the BEST Foldable Phone in 2024? (Full Review) (youtube.com)

One hitch is to get the Magic Pen you either have to:
A. Buy the Chinese version
B. Buy the Porsche special edition
C. Buy the Magic Pen separately for $110 plus shipping from China.

Also, the Magic OS/UI on it is currently 7.2xxx, with 8.0 beta now 6 weeks late for this model.

With MS having dumped SDuo, scrapping WSA, and having Android out of my daily workflow, why am I tempted to get one of these? I get 80% of the size advantage with the iPad Mini - albeit without a hinge. Even if I had it, I wouldn’t stop carrying the iPhone.

Please tell me this is a bad idea.

1 Like

To me, at $1500 this only makes sense if it completely replaces both iPad mini and iPhone (and you’d need to get a compatible watch in place of the Apple watch if you use one). Complete ecosystem change.

1 Like