Gaming

No idea. This is the first time I’ve ever used a game emulator of any kind. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an Android emulator out there for those. This particular one, Dolphin, is just for GameCube and Wii.

Yes. Use RetroArch which has an emulator for practically every system under the sun.

2 Likes

This looks interesting. I wonder if it will actually make it to market. And for that matter it would seem like it could run Windows 365 as well.

This is Microsoft’s Xbox game streaming device - The Verge

1 Like

For those engaged in Mobile gaming, the Pixel 7 Pro with the Google Tensor G2 chip is probably not one that you’d want to consider.

The Tensor G2 is quite evidently the worst-performing premium SoC of this generation in terms of gaming performance.

Looks like the iGPU and thermals need work.

Opps. My current Pixel 6 Pro is okay with Sim City Build it, which thankfully is the only game on the thing.

Story:
Pre-ordered the pixel from Amazon. £850.
They failed to deliver it on Monday, with the ‘one time password’ only being accepted on ‘that’ day. The next day, at a funeral.

Undeliverable. Returned to Amazon.

eBay. New, £650.

Saved £200. I cannot complain, other than its gaming performance. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cool as the Surface Duo is for retro emulation, I couldn’t get used to using “buttons” on the bottom touchscreen. Also, Wii games were meant to be played on a larger screen (YMMV) and I didn’t feel like I was getting the nostalgic experience with Rune Factory Frontier that I desired.

Enter Dolphin Emulator, macOS ARM/Intel Universal build. The game plays really well and looks great on my M1 Mac mini with 24” monitor. The only lack is a controller that doesn’t have compatibility issues—I never expected to need one for macOS. So I did my research and splurged on one that won’t suffer stick drift a couple months of use down the road, which annoys me no end. It uses Hall Effect sensors for the sticks and triggers.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLRM2X6M

ETA the 16th - 21st. For some reason the white one was $10 cheaper and since color doesn’t matter to me I got that one.

2 Likes

Almost going crazy lying in my hospital bed all day, I installed the older Call of duty: Modern warfare on my SP8 256/16. Surprised how well it ran albeit at a lower setting. Still can’t deal with smartphone gaming; not enough boredom in the world to get me interested.

4 Likes

There are a few good old releases on mobile. Older GTAs (Chinatown Wars is fun and was originally for the DS so plays well), Max Payne, Square Enix stuff.

As for mobile only games… card or board games I guess? Mini Metro is good. The only non-real world (-like) mobile game that I like is Grand Mountain.

1 Like

Can’t disagree there. But clearly there are plenty of people with different tastes who are buying that stuff. I wonder how much is driven by the in-app “gacha” style of enticement? Players apparently get addicted.

1 Like

For those into VR, Star Wars Squadrons is free right now, down from $40. Edit: until Dec 1st.

FYI, the free update to The Witcher 3 arrives December 14th. Lots of modernizations to the graphics plus gameplay improvements.

Now’s a good time to get the base game with DLCs included in the GotY Wild Hunt edition. BF sales for around 80% off just about everywhere.

I already have that one. The only Black Friday sale game I have nabbed, so far, is Persona 5 Royal for PC. It’s going for ~$40, about $20 off, which is good enough for me since I was barely able to hold back from buying on release at full price. :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Do not know if there are any Fallout fans here but I am now playing a Fallout clone now on Surface Go 2 called Atom Rpg (made by small team, https://www.gog.com/en/game/atom_rpg_postapocalyptic_indie_game ) that is lots of fun if you like the genre.

3 Likes

Hm, maybe gog.com is having issues, or the page is removed temporarily. I’m logged in but I get this message from clicking the link or searching from their main site and clicking the result they give me

Access to www.gog.com was denied
You don’t have authorization to view this page.
HTTP ERROR 403

1 Like

I copied the link from the search engine now instead of the adressbar, does it work now?

1 Like

It does work for me now. I think the page was just down for a brief time for some reason or other.

For those who are still holding out, Skyrim VR and Fallout 4 VR are available for $15 each, Elite dangerous is $7.50, Subnautica is $10, and Half-Life Alyx, is available for $24. For a longer list of discounted VR games see here:

2 Likes

Intimately related to gaming, the 40-series GeForce dGPUs are claimed to have 3x the power efficiency of the 30-series. Thus, a RTX 4050 will perform like a 120W RTX 3070 while still only requiring 40W like a RTX 3050. Too good to be true?

Screenie taken from:

2 Likes

That sounds WAY too good to be true, but man, if it is???

1 Like

Sounds good to me, but are there any real world benchmarks yet?

I’m excited about ASUS’ announcement of 40 series mobile GPU with their Flow X13 and Z13 pen enabled laptops.

1 Like

So I gave the “future” a try with Xbox Unlimited cloud gaming, currently $1 for the first month, $15/mo thereafter. And since I won’t be able to play Persona 5 Royal going forward since I’ve switched to Apple Silicon exclusively (the game has Denuvo DRM on top of Steam), I gave that my first try on my iPP w/game controller.

They require download speeds of at least 10Mb/s, but 20Mb/s minimum for iPad for whatever reason. I did a speedtest and mine was currently at 76Mb/s and I was on 5GHz Wifi as recommended.

Result: unplayable. Laggy controls, pixel blurring, stuttering FMV sections, sometimes the screen would freeze and/or turn to pixelated static. Sound was fine.

I gave them my impressions (it’s still beta) and cancelled. My $1 is still good till the end of February so I might try again. Maybe at 3AM when there’s less potential fluctuation in the cellular connection.

What a disappointment. :crying_cat_face:

3 Likes