Gaming

If the VR version (which I think includes a license for the standard SE) had a similar discount, I’d recommend getting that instead. You’ll thank me if you ever get a VR headset. It’s beautiful to see that whole world in 3D.

4 Likes

Didn’t realise it was still the 2010s!

I jest. Great game. Scary to think it’s probably going to be fifteen years from Skyrim’s release until we get the next Elder Scrolls!

2 Likes

Closer to 20 years the way things are going. They haven’t even really started, busy with Starfield for the past many years, which is delayed till next year. :vb-unhappy:

I’m unsure if Microsoft’s purchase of Bethesda means good things or bad things for Elder Scrolls VI.

Unfortunately Steam no longer lists Skyrim VR, or LE for that matter, though they’re in the store for re-download by previous buyers. A quick search found the boxed PC version for $19.80 and that’s on a Steam key.

Interesting, I still see the VR version even when not logged in, although it’s at the full $60 list price that I think it was on release as well.

1 Like

My mistake, I see it now. For some reason it was on my ignored list. :vb-headscratch:

1 Like

And some people wonder why Skyrim is still popular…

Hogwarts in Skyrim mod demonstration

Modders are doing ever more amazing things with the old game.

I chose to use the Astral Magic 2 Add On to Hogwarts. Installation and configuration of the mods and their dependencies was daunting. But worth it!

(Edited because the videos weren’t showing under the “hide details” option for some reason.)

2 Likes

I found this comparison interesting and it also might be useful for someone deciding between the two varieties of RAM. A lot of gamers want an upgradable laptop, thus get one with socketed DDR5-4800 RAM. But LPDDR5-6400 RAM, which has to be soldered, in this particular test has up to a ~10 fps advantage. Hmm.

Of course, this doesn’t matter to people with a discreet GPU. It’s the iGPU that is so dependent on system memory speed.

Edit: the two chips were:
Ryzen 7 6800H 16GB DDR5-4800
Ryzen 7 6800HS CE 16GB LPDDR5-6400

So if anything the one with DDR-4800 should have had an edge as its an “H” with a 45W TDP vs 35W TDP for the “HS”. Though perhaps he tweaked the wattage to be even. It doesn’t say.

2 Likes

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

That’s seriously awkward. A FPS game is not suited to a smartwatch. :vb-rofl:

2 Likes

But sometimes you should. Case in point: Half-Life 2 VR. For $10 you buy the base game on steam (no need to install it), and then you can download and install the VR mod for free, which weirdly is a standalone package.

Not sure how this works with licensing, but as a VR experience it’s surprisingly good, and so far I’m loving the half-life world. I think I’ll do this one first before getting back into Half-life Alyx. Pretty good voice acting so far, jokes are pretty funny, sound is excellent, and it comes across as a huge world, even if you are guided in a certain path by guards blocking doors etc. Not bad for $10!

Edit: OMG this game is from 2004! Postively ancient, and yet totally fun and pretty decent looking all around. Upside: since the graphics are low end, it runs very smoothly on a GTX1070 with max detail on.

4 Likes

This is a bit of a surprise IMHO, though OTOH I wasn’t all that impressed the couple of times I tried Stadia

Google is shutting down Stadia in January 2023 - The Verge

4 Likes

Google, shutting down a project, who would have guessed? :astonished:

In other news, I have bought Skyrim yet again. GOG.com finally got the DRM-free Skyrim, SE and AE. On sale today for 67% off for SE ($13.19), 50% off for AE ($24.99).

4 Likes

Nice. I finally stopped playing the VR version. By now none of the remaining side quests interest me very much. Maybe at some point in the near future I’ll do a playthrough and join the Imperial Legion, haven’t done that yet.

Meanwhile I’m enjoying the heck out of the Half Life 2 VR mod. It’s not as epic as Skyrim in scope, but very fun in VR. A bit dangerous, I’ve already hit a couple of things as I’m trying to fend off headcrabs and related monsters. Haven’t broken anything just yet, but it feels like it’s been close a couple of times. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

NexusMods already have a version of their mod manager, Vortex, that works with GOG Skyrim. A SKSE version (SKyrim Script Extender, mandatory for the more complex mods) is also ready. So quite a few mods should be okay to use as-is. Some others will need updates to accommodate the specific GOG/SKSE version.

Translation: the GOG release should be viable for heavy mod-users like me. I’ll give it a try.

Update: Nope, some critical (for me) mods will need updates from their authors before it’s a viable option (for me).

1 Like

Thats cool, reminds me of Doom on an oscilloscope Oscilloscope running Doom - YouTube

1 Like

Intel ARC Cards
We have just gotten a 770 ourselves, and hopefully we will get a chance to test it this week.

Just playing around with it, so far results are all over the place. Notably the MS Store Games seem to be compatible and anecdotally work well.

EA titles, at least the three I have here in the office, not so much.

Regardless, I think they have a huge uphill climb for acceptance in the general public. My Best Buy contacts tell me that most of their customers won’t even consider an established brand like AMD’s Radeon RX, let alone something like this.

PS: Intel needs to work on the installer too as there are several issues with it including one we hit where it would blue screen the system if the MS teams client was running in the background.

2 Likes

This is so true. The hardware enthusiast echo chamber on Reddit and Twitter thinks too highly of themselves. They seem to think that AMD is well known and NVIDIA’s RTX 4000 series announcement is being derided universally. Though I do not share in their sentiment, many people I know are genuinely excited for RTX 4000 series having totally fallen for NVIDIA’s excuse of increasing prices–notwithstanding that only three generations ago, a flagship GPU cost $700 and a high-end card $500.

1 Like

I’m getting ever closer to this dreaded moment. Today I gave my eGPU enclosure a serious right hook. Damned roller mines… Amazingly both controller and GPU are still OK, and neither disconnected. It’s a Sonnet enclosure and Samsung controllers, for those wondering. :slight_smile: Meanwhile I think I should probably reconsider the game room/guest room layout. Having just a couple sq ft wedged between a bed, a computer setup, and fitness equipment appears to be insufficient for fighting an alien threat. :vb-grin:

2 Likes

Probably not news to most, but the Surface Duo is a pretty cool emulator platform.

Dolphin Emulator

For the record, I bought this game for the Wii way back when but never finished, always wanted to though. Not condoning piracy here.

2 Likes

Does it do Commodore 64 and Amiga games? :nerd_face: