Feedback Request on Site Logo

And one final (?) iteration, all corners slightly rounded, but line colors matching the respective panels.

6 Likes

Ok. I REALLY like this one :+1: :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks! Yeah me too, seems a bit more refined than the “all white lines” versions somehow. Next up: setting all the right regions to transparent, so that it also works in dark mode.

@Hifihedgehog if we’re OK with that last one, which format(s) do you need it in? Resolution, file type? I don’t recall which file types support transparency, seems like that would be a must though for dark mode compatibility.

1 Like

I liked the speech bubble feel to the one squared corner, but this last one is good too. One final thought, what about a mostly transparent overlay in light grey T P C R in each square? Too busy/distracting?

1 Like

So I have been meaning to jump into this, and I really appreciate this, but I am kind of already committed monetarily to the person I reached out to on DeviantArt. I have done more business with him in the past and I gave him a solid commitment with this request. If I hadn’t, I could back out at this point, but I am kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. At the very least, if you don’t mind, I can forward this to him and see if he can take it to the next level? Is that okay everyone?

We could use the JoeLogo for where there’s little room, and the DeviantLogo for the main page … once we have one! Maybe? I’m obviously biased, but I really like the simplicity and heritage of my creation.

1 Like

Right, and I do appreciate this, but I had stated at the onset that I was already purchasing a logo. I appreciate this effort outside of that but I am already committed to that purchase fully, having given them my word. What I am trying to do to please everyone is see if the designer on DeviantArt will (at any additional cost, if required), take your logo and enhance it accordingly.

Another vote for @JoeS ’ final design - and @Hifihedgehog, if you have already made the commitment, let’s see what he thinks - but I have to agree I really like Joe’s design at this point.

4 Likes

Well shucks! Well, let’s see his creation, and if we still prefer some incarnation of the JoeS design, we can chip in and pay him anyway. :slight_smile: I guess I had fun doing this, so there’s that!

3 Likes

Thanks for being understanding about this. Given the fact that this thread had gone silent 17 days ago (until today/late yesterday, that is), I went back to him long ago and he has been already iterating through various designs with me that I was going to share eventually here for feedback. He might be able to enhance the design with some spit and polish since he is a graphic designer by trade.

1 Like

Is it possible to ask him to provide 2-3 roughs for us to choose from before committing to a final design?

If he and you were already iterating through a design, I think it’s worth showing that to everyone too, so his work/time doesn’t get wasted.

Then maybe we can do a poll to see which design everyone likes the most?

I think it’s your site and you should go with what you think is best. I do really like the first design he did for you with Tech and Tiny. I’m sure he’ll kill this one as well. Don’t let us having fun coming up with ideas derail your plans.

2 Likes

Thanks! I actually do like where this is going. What I can say is we will have some news (minor spoiler: the designer is very open and flexible after speaking to him about the new idea shared here) to share. Once I get back from the admins after some deliberation on some very minor points, we will be diving head first into the design. :vibing_cat:

3 Likes

However we can help. Thanks for taking the lead @Hifihedgehog.

1 Like

OK. So after speaking with the @admins group, JoeS is fine with his design getting the professional treatment. The good news I can now share is the designer is open to almost everything including up to cancellation. So we have a range of options which I am going to share with you all now.

1. We stay with the design as JoeS has completed and make no modifications or changes. Personally, while I totally agree this design direction is the perfect one, I feel this is a direction and we need to go down this road further. I prefer it to the other roads I have ventured down with the designer I have been communicating with thus far, but I also feel JoeS’s design needs some polish.

2. We scrap JoeS’s design and pursue a totally different design. This actually I highly discourage as the thoughts and feelings evoked in JoeS’s design is the deepest of any I have seen. I am putting this out there though just in case someone may feel this way.

3. We take JoeS’s design and have the current designer improve upon it, taking special care to not diminish the special considerations he put into it that highlight our community history and the breadth of industry we enjoy in the world of tablets.

4. We take JoeS’s design to a different designer for enhancement. If we go this route, I would first suggest looking to talent in-forum to make this a truly community-derived work. And if you need incentive, I am willing to pay you to take on this job as I am with the current designer, so take this as a paid offer for work if this is the direction we decide on. And if no one in our forum does design work of this kind or is otherwise uninterested, we can certainly look into outside options as well.

Here’s the poll. Vote away!

• Stay with the design as JoeS has completed and make no modifications or changes
  • Scrap JoeS’s design and pursue a totally different design
  • Take JoeS’s design and have the current designer improve upon it
  • Take JoeS’s design to a different designer for enhancement
0 voters
1 Like

My logo idea would be Proximo riding a unicorn …

I don’t want to speak for everyone but I suspect there are plenty of artists here who would contribute to a logo. Perhaps we could have a rotating site logo.

2 Likes

One more consideration is "how would this thing actually look as a logo. I think as favicon we’d only keep the four little squares. Where else would it show up? Would it take the place of the little house icon in the top left? If so, the colors - however well reasoned :slight_smile: - may need adjustment. And at that size the finer design details might not come out well, so some things might need to be omitted or bolded.

If we know the places and sizes the logo would get, maybe we can mock up some examples of how that would look. Might be an eye opener, e.g. “omg this all looks terrible” or “pretty nice, but green on green is not great”.

1 Like

It looks like a speech bubble too, I like it.

And the subtle touches for those in the know are nice.

It does feel a little cool though. Needs a touch of red or orange in there.

1 Like

But cool is Cool!

1 Like

Like way past cool like a blue hedgehog! :hedgehog:

2 Likes