Chasing Unicorns

I decided to approach my “problem” from the other end of the telescope - what can I do to create my own “one device to rule all” solution. This thread will be about the quest to find our own solutions and compromises to come away with a single device to fit our computing and tablet needs. This may end up being the second coming of Otter’s “…this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody’s part!”

It’s apparent that Microsoft nor its OEM’s can/may/will deliver an iPad Pro 11 size “do it all” device, and I’ve been strongly reminded that Apple DOES NOT WANT TO, nor will it ever likely, deliver the solution with an iPad Pro 11 that can run both iPadOS and MacOS. So after ten days of exclusive Surface Pro 8 use, I think it’s time we tackle this as Windows 10/11 users and come up with the best solution we can. This will involve a LOT of compromises and a fair amount of engenuity. Here are the ground rules for this thread:

1. The device must be a detachable. I have spent too much time with the Folio and x360 to determine they have great potential, but fall flat on their faces when you do the “converting” and lose any semblance of a tablet.

2. The device must have a 13" or smaller screen. Similar to No. 1, going bigger is NOT going better in the tablet part of the equation.

3. The device must run Windows. Sorry Android fans, but that’s why I put this in the Windows forum - although Android MAY be part of the solution.

4. Smartphones are permitted as a part of the equation, but the solution must be stand alone as a tablet (in other words, not help from iPad Mini 6 or Sammy/Amazonian tablets).

My base for this exercise, obviously, is the Surface Pro 8. To me it involves two large compromise - its size and lack of tablet software. Don’t get me wrong, it is as svelte as can be, but to me 13" and 2.4lb (with type cover) is already stretching the limits for tablet use on a daily basis. The second big compromise is no crying about Apple-specific software (FaceTime, iMessage, News+, etc). That’s why exempted smartphones from the equation: (1) to feed my need for those services; and (2) to open up for Android fans (especially Samsung users) the rapidly improving integration between Windows and Android phones.

So folks, what devices would you recommend; what software loads for starters; what tweaks/apps to make it more “tablety” and above all what compromises are you willing, or not willing, to endure?

1 Like