Bing and ChatGPT integration

It’ll probably be okay since it has access to the Internet.

I’ve been finding ChatGPT very useful, especially for finding things I only vaguely remember some details about. It did completely make up an author just yesterday though and when challenged just kept on apologising (after a few further made up authors), but at least it gave me the book series name.

Old Bing, sorry, Sydney, no, Bing probably would have gaslighted me over it.

1 Like

Yeah same, I like it enough that I have linked Winkey-B to opening Bing chat in Edge. Very powerful, looking forward to exploring it some more in the coming weeks.

Agree with you on the chatbots’ usefulness. TBH, I don’t understand the whole fuss surrounding the Bing/ChatGPT Ai. It’s helped me find answers to things that I’d have taken hours to search for.
It’s quite childish when people start asking the Ai silly questions just to toy with them

2 Likes

In a way yes, but I think it’s good (if annoying) to be careful. I’m already reading about people using these systems for self-help and psychological support. So even if most people are not purposely trying to mess with “Sydney” it’s smart to put some guard rails up early! Without some of the insane model behavior teased out by people testing the limits, we might not have realized the danger.

1 Like

Sometimes the Bing AI can seem downright playful. So impressive. From Reddit.

1 Like

If you guys don’t mind the occasional “funny stuff a LLM wrote”, here’s a decent sarcastic review of the Duo 2 written by Bing, taken from Reddit:

2 Likes

I just LOVE the conclusion!!!

“If you’re looking for a phone that does everything well, look elsewhere. But if you’re looking for a phone that does nothing well but looks cool doing it, the the Surface Duo 2 is for you.”

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Personally I really enjoyed the section on battery life. Zing!!

I was a bit curious so I went to Bing for the first time in forever and clicked on the chat tab to try it out… and it tried to make me download an app. You can’t use it over the web.

Never mind.

1 Like

:thinking: I only use it over the web.

Let me guess, you’re using Edge? In Safari you get a full page pop-up that prevents you from going any further unless you download an app. Dismiss the pop-up and you go back to the normal search page.

1 Like

You sure it’s about Safari? The screenshot would appear to show that you aren’t on the new Bing yet. I had to get on the waitlist for it.

I see. I tried downloading the app, which is required, and it then asked me to sign into a personal account and join the waitlist.

As I said before, never mind. I’m not curious enough to sign in and go on the wait list and then use an app for it. I thought it was just another search engine type thing that you could do anonymously in a browser. My mistake.

That’s strange. I definitely don’t need an app for it. I just had to join the waitlist.

To proceed from that initial full page pop up it takes me to the App Store to download the app wherein I can sign up to get on the waitlist. There’s no apparent other way of doing it. Maybe if I signed into Bing on the webpage? :person_shrugging:

Regardless, any tiny interest I had is gone now. I’ll wait for a version that respects my privacy. If ever.

Talk about waiting for unicorns…

1 Like

Correct! And I use it only for Bing chat. :vb-grin: fwiw I am using it on a PC, so that also might make a difference.

Maybe, although once trained these things can in principle run entirely offline, albeit without info on current events (would quickly get outdated). A company could sell a fully standalone “chatbox” that never connects to the internet. Kind of an appealing concept actually.

But what data is it feeding from for its answers?

Its training set. Whatever data they used to set up all the billions of model parameters is present in the model “as an echo”. Not everything is in there literally, but relations and phrases etc are in there implicitly.