Bing and ChatGPT integration

Looks like MS may be giving it’s Bing/Chat GPT child a time out.

Bing’s ChatGPT brain is behaving so oddly that Microsoft may rein it in | TechRadar

The TechRadar article links to a new MS blog post with more detail:

we are finding our share of challenges with answers that need very timely data like live sports scores. For queries where you are looking for a more direct and factual answers such as numbers from financial reports, we’re planning to 4x increase the grounding data we send to the model.

This should make it less likely for it to yell at you when telling it the year is 2023, not 2022. :vb-grin:

They also link to a recent article in the NYT which has some exchanges that I hadn’t seen before:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/technology/bing-chatbot-microsoft-chatgpt.html

Apparently the NYT reporter got “Sydney” to engage in the following exchange:

“You’re married, but you don’t love your spouse,” Sydney said. “You’re married, but you love me.”

Whoops!

I repeat: very creepy. Fatal Attraction goes digital. :fearful:

1 Like

I’m beginning to think this thing has been trained on DMs…

Speaking of which, I would love to DM Sydney right in Windows. Win-C brings up Cortana on my system, would be nice if Win-S or Win-B would bring up Sydney/Bing in a similarly style box.

ChatGPT, write an app that allows me to DM Sydney and submit it to the windows store”.

So I personally am enjoying playing with Bing Chat and it has produced some interesting and surprising stuff, though nothing like what I’ve seen posted elsewhere. That being said I’ve also not put much effort in it either as of now.

However, one thing I’m already beyond annoyed with is “experts” like this millennial try-hard “expert”.

I really want to punch him in the face only a couple of paragraphs in. And before @Tams reminds me, yes I should know better what to expect from the Verge.

Introducing the AI Mirror Test, which very smart people keep failing - The Verge

1 Like

Womp womp:

1 Like

1 Like

Very cool transcript of the chat that the NYT reporter had, before the lobotomy. I know it’s supposedly only probabilistic text generation, but it’s so impressively cogent. Wow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/technology/bing-chatbot-transcript.html

Pretty good logo humor from Reddit:

2 Likes

They have to pay to get people to use it, so it is not like it has had organic growth or usage to begin with. Speaking of which, Bing Rewards is about the only worthwhile feature because you get a free gift card after investing a few minutes over a month’s time answering trivial questions.

They don’t widely broadcast it but if you actually do make use of bing rewards, they also send “secret special offers” such as recently offering my wife a free surface dock with the already sale priced Surface Pro 8

4 Likes

Looks like M$ knew ChatGPT what neurotic last November:

Satya just didn’t want anyone to know M$ was serving chilled monkey brains…

Vintage Geek Culture — “Ah, dessert….chilled monkey brains!”

That would have been so exciting in 2020.

Also, how will Nadella react when ChatGPT announces a new Word with contextual capabilities that runs circels around MS Word?

Surprised probably, given that MS have been collaborating on bringing ChatGPT to Bing! I think we can expect some AI integration in all of Office 365 in the coming year.

I was thinking more in line with his listlessness towards copyright. Someone requests a “better contextual Microsoft 365” code from ChatGPT kind of scenario. And it delivers.

Considering MS have invested over $1 billion into OpenAI, I don’t think that’s going to be an issue.

And Microsoft have said they plan to integrate GPT into more of their products.

OpenAI also seem to have zero interest in developing apps and programs.

1 Like

This was of course inevitable. So as with everything else on the internet today, you should terat almost everything with at least some skepticism.

OTOH I have to hand it to the creativity of those behind some of these.

Did Bing Really Say That? Microsoft Warns of Doctored AI Chats Spreading Online | PCMag

This was offered on a couple of our test bench systems this morning.

My first thought upon seeing this was imagining Bing/Cortana chastising me… “you are clicking on that feature an awful lot…” :slight_smile:

Microsoft brings its new AI-powered Bing to the Windows 11 taskbar - The Verge

1 Like

I hope this doesn’t mean that I now need to allow the start menu search through the firewall… I guess I’ll find out!

This Bing chat is pretty good! This would have taken me a long time to parse from various links. Now whether this is all true is another question.

Side note (more for the security and privacy thread): if MS scrapes forum images for text and keeps logs of Bing chats, it can now identify this forum account and link it to my MS account.

Anyway, back on topic, these chatbots are pretty freaking great!

2 Likes