CNET Using AI to Write Its Articles

Since last November, apparently. Not all of course but the 72 unattributed pieces so far have been doing well in drawing reads. Expect more of this.

1 Like

Great, just great…artificial art now artificial journalism…how about artificial government while we’re at it - can’t be much worse than what the world is suffering now…

oops…what was I thinking…

3 Likes

Hopefully this will wake the general populace up in terms of AI comin for our jerbs.

From a disgruntled artist

1 Like

It won’t.

Boy this is starting to look really bad for CNET.

This Verge article is brutal.

CNET pushed reporters to be more favorable to advertisers, staffers say - The Verge

By all rights CNET should be toast, but I wonder how many other outlets and bloggers are out there looking over their own shoulders on this front? That is a brutal article:

" CNET, along with other Red Ventures-owned publications, is loading up on cheap SEO-driven articles to game Google’s search algorithm and fill search results with content designed to deliver affiliate links to readers. As a result, CNET ’s independent journalism and the people who produce it — the thing that once made CNET valuable and rank highly in search to begin with — feel that they are being pushed out in favor of whatever and whomever else makes Red Ventures the most money, according to multiple former employees."

1 Like

Look at what a simple prompt can write:

Sports Illustrated is apparently doing it as well.

Sports Illustrated’s publisher is using AI to generate fitness advice - The Verge

Buckle up, folks. Microsoft is now promising to write your own novel for you. I can’t wait for the bombshell gotchas people encounter when it doesn’t make their beds and cook their morning meals for them.

Or it shuts down their computers and turns off the lights saying they’ve had enough screen time for today…

1 Like

On a serious note, if you happen to know any younger person who’s going into a field likely to be usurped by AI automation it might be a good idea to point it out to them. I foresee an awful lot of paper-pushing white-collar workers in the unemployment lines. Corporations will love this stuff.

2 Likes

That is great, if unfortunate, advice. A lot of “cubicle workers” are going to be cut off at the knees by this monster. In fact, I wonder how many professionals (lawyers, accountants, brokers, psychiatrists, PA’s, etc.) will also bite the dust to “Chap” advisors?

“Chappy - write me a Will and cut out my youngest child…”

“Chappy - take Harry out of the line of succession…” Oops, they already did that…

3 Likes

Accurate or “based” AI prediction:

1 Like

AI Art on the frontier
Journalists: Here’s why AI art is good
Also Journalists: AI writebots are bad and we should avoid them at all costs.

2 Likes

Just a case of whose ox is being gored…

So if the training data for these generative AIs is coming from the internet, and the internet is soon to be inundated with AI content… won’t these articles wind up becoming all the same at some point?

2 Likes

For every will written by Chappy, you will nead a team of lawyers to litigate it. From what I can see, most of what is being generated by AI is garbage.

2 Likes

I’ve already had one probate judge refuse to probate an “off the internet form Will” as anything but a DEPENDENT administration (court supervised - here in Texas our independent administrations are a breeze for an executor). Can’t wait to see what he’d say about a Chappy special…

2 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking that one application would be the paralegal job of writing briefs but considering how these things make stuff up, etc., you’d have to have a paralegal go through and verify each citation and also all the logic & reasoning and by then they might as well have done it themselves.

Though Chappy might be an asset for the research.