Adventures in Linux

Continuing from the archived “Going Linux?” topic on the old, defunct TPCR.

Surprisingly, once again we don’t have a topic for general Linux discussion.So here it is.

Nope, no current adventures in Linux for me. I don’t have a device that’s a decent candidate (I tried on my Samsung Galaxy Book 12 long ago and it wasn’t fun—it was never popular enough to get a complete, fully functional Linux build).

But I have been looking forward to trying Asahi Linux, a native Apple Silicon project, once it gets out of the alpha stage. Alas, I discovered yesterday that my M2 Pro Mac mini has very little progress—there’s nothing to install even if I was in a super adventurous mood. Everything’s been focused on plain M1/M2 and a little M1 Pro/Max.

From Feature Support · AsahiLinux/docs Wiki · GitHub

Oh well, I’ll continue throwing a donation their way from time to time and hope for the future. Maybe it’ll go fast once their devs actually get an M2 Pro Mac mini to work with? We’ll see.

1 Like

Been happy with my Fedora setup for my htpc nuc for years now. I can barely notice it’s an older cpu & streaming video at 1080p works great.

2 Likes

Speaking of Fedora, I had a good experience with it during my most recent adventure in Linux.

And now…

In a surprise announcement we learn that Asahi Linux and the folks at Fedora have been working on a joint project. The first official Fedora Asahi Remix release is expected the end of August. I imagine it’ll still be in rough shape so I won’t be holding my breath. I’ll wait till they finish reverse engineering the Apple Silicon graphics (etc.) well enough to run Steam Proton acceptably. That’s going to be fun!

2 Likes

And here we go again.

In the finishing stages of installing Bazzite Linux on half the 1TB drive of my Lenovo Legion Go. Win11 boot remains on the other half. If this doesn’t work out I can just go back into Windows, delete the Linux partition and I’ll be back where I was.

It’s essentially SteamOS but based on Fedora not Arch. I chose to use the Gnome desktop instead of the Steam desktop. I never liked that one. Once I get everything installed, I can boot right into the handheld mode which is exactly like the Steam Deck. We’ll see how it goes.

2 Likes

Neat! I’ll be following with interest. I’ve gotten bored of tinkering with windows on the surface duos and I’m kind of itching to install linux on something or other around here.

How up to date is it vs a regular Fedora install? I switched to Fedora from Ubuntu a few years ago for my HTPC & been liking it more than Ubuntu in some ways.

Latest version, Fedora 39. I think I saw 39.2-something after install.

Dual booting isn’t supported but everyone does it anyway. It’s kind of a pain because you have to partition manually. And this is a lot slower than your standard Fedora install from my experience.

Anyway, I have it booting right into the handheld mode by default and have installed Persona 5 and it runs just fine so I think it’s a go.

Definitely a bit of a rocky ride getting here though. Sometimes the keyboard wouldn’t work nor touch or Legion Go controls and there’s no way to select something so it was a good thing I downloaded the specific ISO version I wanted–Bazzite with Gnome–or there wouldn’t have been any way to select it on a list like shown in the video. Letting it sit for a few minutes allowed it to go ahead with the default. Ditto with a different part later on. And the YouTube video for installation is already out of date after only a month. In other words, YMMV.

1 Like

Unfortunately the Steam Deck emulation meant that it has the same frustration when trying to play Skyrim SE with keyboard and mouse. Because of the built-in controller it never will give priority to M&KB, thus is no good for me. (Yes, I searched for solutions and tried everything suggested, though such “solutions” were always by well-meaning know-it-alls who never tried it with Skyrim SE.)

Consensus seems to be that Bethesda messed things up when they added controller support, never imagining that someone would use a keyboard and mouse with a controller attached too. Or something. :person_shrugging:

Regardless, it won’t work for me until the day I stop playing Skyrim… Or pass on, whichever comes first (my bet is on the latter).

Partitioning deleted and full space on the 1TB drive taken by Windows 11 again. Alas, this adventure in Linux was another failure.

It came to me that I was hasty and I didn’t give it enough of a try last time, so Bazzite is installed once more. I realized that I didn’t try a game using keyboard and mouse with the Legion Go controllers disconnected and turned off. How stupid could I be to miss that? Surely if they didn’t register to the device it would go on to the next detected controllers, which would be the keyboard and mouse. Right?

But no, that didn’t help at all. Same problem. The console controls take priority over the keyboard and mouse every single time. So I tried another search with different keywords.

Bingo! I found a post that was about how to get Skyrim to come up with the settings options, which is another thing that was bothering me–I couldn’t set the resolution or full screen/windowed or anything like that. Apparently a Steam software update 5 months ago killed off that ability in favor of just play and go I guess.

Anyway, I tried that and it not only brought up the settings options but it completely cured the console controls priority issue. It now plays with mouse and keyboard just like in Windows desktop! And it’s really simple, all you have to do is add one line in the startup commands:

SteamDeck=0 %command%

So the adventure in Linux continues! :catjam:

1 Like

BTW, the latest BazziteOS uses Fedora 40. But I’ve seen some warnings on Reddit about it being unstable and breaking a few things, so I decided to wait on that and use my existing Fedora 39 ISO version from last time. Hopefully I won’t accidentally upgrade and run into problems.

Edit: oops, I did. Mine’s on Fedora 40 now. No sign of issues so far. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Such a shame. I really like BazziteOS and it would be a go if I didn’t mod my games. As it is, it’s a crapshoot as to whether or not a Windows mod manager or other modding tool will install via WINE. I tried all day on just mod managers (Vortex and Mod Manager 2), carefully following both written and YT instructions, and threw snake eyes every time.

Partitions deleted again so that I’m not tempted to try one more thing and waste another day. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Lol, that just means the next time you do it you’ll have to partition again. Ask me how I know :wink:

1 Like

True enough. I know I’ll be tempted back to another Linux attempt eventually. But in the meantime I need the space. I had reduced the Windows partition to 300GB in anticipation of Linux working out this time (oh the optimism!) and from past experience I know I’ll definitely need more. :cat_smile_fluent:

1 Like