About Our Recent Downtime and a Sincere Request

@trust_level_0, my deepest apologies for the extended downtime yesterday evening. Discourse made a significant version change in Ember, their underlying framework, upgrading it from version 3 to 5. This caused one of our most popular plugins, Retort (the plugin that allows us to use multiple reactions and select different reactions to posts), to malfunction and take our entire site down.

You can find more details about Discourse’s move to Ember 5 in the following link: Preparing for Discourse’s upgrade to Ember 5 - announcements - Discourse Meta

Thankfully, Discourse has a forced compatibility mode via a flag that I was able to specify in the forum’s .yml configuration file, which ensures Ember 3 support. However, this temporary compatibility mode will be removed in the first quarter of 2024.

Since our early beginnings, I promised not to request donations, and I stand by that. So, this is not a donation request for my efforts here. However, if you would like to help fund a code bounty/conversion project (discussions with Discourse developers are currently in progress) that I will be commissioning to resurrect Retort’s features, I will provide details shortly after I determine arrangements with the developer(s) who accept the job.

3 Likes

Count on me for a donation!

Jeffrey D Bellin
703-967-9980

3 Likes

I’m in…

2 Likes

Me, too. I assume that you’re going to set up a FundMe or something?

1 Like

Thanks everyone @here. The quote I got is with Pavilion who is the team that has worked most closely with Discourse and the best equipped to handle it. The total amount is $2500 with an initial $1250 downpayment. I am working right now to get the funding page up. Thanks!

1 Like

@here, here is the contribution link:

1 Like

Many thanks to @trust_level_0 who contributed to bring the Retort plugin back to life! Details below at Discourse’s support forum:

2 Likes