A truly innovative and clever piece of engineering

So much so that I remember studying them in depth when I was in school as a professor was particularly enamored of it as a work of smart engineering.

Brought back some memories seeing this on the Verge today.

The buttons on Zenith’s original ‘clicker’ TV remote were a mechanical marvel - The Verge

4 Likes

Zenith TV’s were the s****. I had a friend who got all of the latest and greatest things. His family had a Zenith with remote control and we peons had an old RCA with an onboard channel selector. The envy was palpable.

2 Likes

There was one of these TVs (and the ultrasonic remote) at my fraternity house when I was in college. At that point, it was kind of old, but the remote worked fine. I had not seen one before, and I remember looking into the open end at the metal bars. That’s when I figured out how it must work. After that, I didn’t pay any attention to it…! A year or two later, we talked our alumni association into buying us a newer TV and the Zenith ended up on the curb where it was carried away by gypsies (I assumed - in a college town, junked items were always finding a new life).

1 Like