The one (or two?) - device solution: Where are we now?

Back in the old forums the one-device solution thread was one of the longest, though not exactly under that name. So, I was wondering if we have all given up on this dream. Has the one-device solution become a myth?
I’ve settled for 2 devices for my computing needs, my Fold 3 and my SP8. Still have the SB2 but it’s use overlaps with that of the SP8.

4 Likes

Any given day, it’s 2 iPhone & iPad Mini 6. For longer heavy duty travel or needs, its 3 - add the SP8.

No single device in sight.

1 Like

2 devices here. The Pro X for everyday work (docked at the office) and the Note 10 (getting a bit long in the tooth) for short notes, etc. I have a Boox Note 3 but it is mainly for outside reading on my deck and note taking while reviewing documents. It is rarealy used and stays on the desk at home.

The fold phone concept is really the only shot I will ever have at a single device solution. But, I will need a phone that can run Windows for ARM and Word Perfect in emulation. That is never likely to happen. But 2 device is very doable.

1 Like

I was getting very close with the fold and Dex set ups, but then I started doing more things that just don’t work in android. Also, I sometimes need a bigger writing canvas that the fold screen.

But then, even if I * can * do everything on one device, I lack the attention span to use just one device for any length of time.

5 Likes

The day they can make a triple or quadruple fold that in folded shape is 8 mm thick is the day we might get a one device solution. And even that would probably require that you carry a foldable keyboard and probably AR glasses for gameing.

3 Likes

I believe I was the outlier — I used my Samsung Galaxy Book 12 as my main machine back then, and I’d still be using it thus, if it weren’t so darned hard to stay on Windows build 1703.

These days I’m using a Samsung Galaxy Book 3 Pro 360 as my main machine — I put up with the stylus scrolling, and have to keep Settings open so I can toggle the option to use a mouse as a stylus on or off depending on which app I’m using.

That said, I’ve been considering getting a Samsung tablet which would function as a second screen, and some days I wonder if just switching to my MacBook and getting an iPad wouldn’t work better.

That said, I wonder if I shouldn’t just pitch it all and get a Linux box and a Wacom Cintiq.

3 Likes

I use a full spread of sizes: iPhone 13 Pro, iPad mini 6, and Mac mini w/28” monitor (or the new 16” USB-C one or my Xreal display glasses… though the glasses are mostly used with the iPad and Steam Deck). Not to mention my Kindle or Watch, both of which I use a lot—the Apple Watch way more than the iPhone.

One device solution? Not gonna happen for me. I’m not even trying to cut down anymore.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Yeah same here! SLS for work, iPad Pro 10.5 with Magic keyboard for slacking off and music apps (totally lost that tablet feel btw, I rarely take it off the heavy magic keyboard), Duo uno for actual tablety stuff, old X1Y3 for light gaming. So I’m on a four-device rotation now, and that’s not even including the various e-ink devices.

3 Likes

I was afraid to join the conversation - I feel like I’ve been on a “dozen device rotation” this year already.

The SP8 has been here pretty much throughout but not happy with companion solutions. The iPhone is a poor companion, and the iPad is just excess baggage except as a second display for the SP8.

I really don’t like the three device solution (iPhone, iPad Pro, MacBook). iCloud works well to tie them together, but I really like having EVERYTHING on one device - the SP8, with LTE, should be the solution, but for a good companion device. Windows Phone Link is too limited for iPhones, and if only I could break out of the walled garden the Fold 5 would make this a one-two power punch.

BUT - I see no escape route from the walled garden, so it looks like I’m headed to an iPhone 15 Pro Max and see if I can at least drop the iPad Pro.

4 Likes

Man, I have like the 5 device solution anymore. LOL!

Desktop in one home office: Prebuilt PC Tower with Ryzen 5 5600X 16GB/1 TB SSD with a 3060Ti
Laptop in the shed work office: Asus Zephyrus G14 that I use for work as well (Ryzen 7 with 3060, 16GB/1TB
Tablet for all situations: Surface Pro 9 i5 8GB/512GB SSD
Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max

Now when I travel, I can at least leave my work laptop at home and just bring the Zephyrus and SP9. I COMPLETELY gave up on the MacPad. I have actually found that the SP9 does all the tablet-y things my iPad Pro did, but I need ZERO workarounds.

Edited to add: HA! I see I am not alone. No point in even trying for a single device anymore.

3 Likes

Hi Bronsky, This is off topic, but can you tell me how well or badly WordPerfect works in emulation and what version of WP you are using? In particular, are there any problems with PerfectScript?

Thanks,
Lenny

1 Like

Me as well. if anything I’m trending toward devices that are optimized for specific solutions or workflows. EG. I use my Kobo Ellipsa, iPad Pro 11 and desktop mac (studio with LG 4k display) and Surface Pro 9 5g for work tasks the large majority of the time.

3 Likes

On the business side, this is absolutely right with my SP8 - BUT - I really like getting my iMessages, FaceTime, and Apple News+ on the same device…so i still end up with at least three devices (counting the phone)…

3 Likes

If only there were an iPhone Pro Fold…

3 Likes

… with Apple Pencil support

3 Likes

Hate to break the news to you @Bishop - mine is a pipe dream, yours is pure fantasy… :rofl:

2 Likes

Ah, I can see where that would be a problem. I am the weird guy that hated continuity when I had all Apple. First thing I did when getting a new mac was disable all that stuff LOL. iPhone = phone stuff and Mac = computer stuff. You really do have a problem @dstrauss! Because Mac kind of blows at work type stuff–like Office and MS kind of blows at the phone type stuff (Continuity). If we had windows phone or windows mobile back then maybe…

1 Like

A mini version that would fit in a silo inside the iPhone Pro fold!

3 Likes

Yes, I do… :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

2 Likes