The Book 8088

This is just odd. I’m not sure who/what this is for. Nostalgia maybe? Though I can’t see why anyone would be nostalgic for what looks like a Walmart knock off of an old Grid computer (which were actually quite good for their time, decades ago)

Going deep with the Book 8088, the brand-new laptop that runs like it’s 1981 | Ars Technica

1 Like

If it doesn’t have 5 1/4" floppies, I’m not interested.

4 Likes

Kind of like Civil War enthusiasts polishing brass buttons and oiling replica muskets, but then fielding their dress up troops to try out alternative history versions of the war. Where they had laptops.

Hm…

That analogy got away from me.

3 Likes

If it had the same keyboard and build quality and excellent screen as a GRiD (ideally a daylight viewable one), and the sort of battery life one would expect from running a CPU at 1/1000000000 of current speeds, and a suitable suite of lightweight office applications (say one standardizes on using .md and .csv files) and a web browser which made use of accessibility options like to Lynx, it would be kind of interesting.

I would like to see a latter-day Radio Shack Model 100, but every time I see someone typing on the on-screen keyboard of an iPad or Android tablet, I don’t think there’s room for that.

Makes me kind of wish that there was an e-ink device w/ these features though, or that my Kindle Scribe as as usable as my Newton MessagePad (I’d really like to see an outliner and a calendar/scheduling app for it)

1 Like

I suppose running Nebo on a boox device would be kinda like a Newton…

1 Like

Sans the wonderful integration synergy which made it so useful, but yes.

1 Like

But isn’t every e-ink device (beyond the simple reader) a slow-a55 exercise in frustration?

I certainly feel ‘nostalgic’ whenever I try to work with one of those things. Like, “Didn’t we evolve beyond this #@!% twenty years ago?”

Though…, I DO feel nostalgia in a good way for the Radio Shack computers. I was a Color Computer guy for years. It was great.

I bet somebody makes a modern clone to play with today. The games were dorky, but charming in their own way.

The very sparse feature sets of current e-ink devices has allowed for pretty decent performance (it’s only a couple of large scanned pdfs which make it bog down).

1 Like

I loved my color computer, I learned the fundamentals of PC video programming (or attempting too anyway :slight_smile: ) One of the first to make use of the concept of sprites I think.

2 Likes