Tech deal alert

Yes, he’s up to his old tricks, AGAIN, because I found best deal out there on a new base model M1 Pro MacBook 14 with a 1TB SSD - $1599. This beats even the Apple refurb price on this model (when they have them) of $1689. This sale also includes optional three year Apple care for $209 ($70 off).

BUYER BEWARE - if you don’t open the package you can return for refund within FIVE DAYS of delivery; otherwise it is YOURS.

3 Likes

At the risk of paraphrasing Don Henley:

"What are these voices outside [tech’s] open door

Make us throw off our contentment

And beg for something more?

The more I know, the less I understand

All the things I thought I knew, I have to learn again

I’ve been tryin’ to get down to the heart of the matter

But my will gets weak

And my thoughts seem to scatter

And the trust and self-assurance that lead to happiness

They’re the very things we kill, I guess …"

Via con dios, mi amigo

2 Likes

See you on the other side soon enough old buddy…you know you’ll fall victim too…

Even my Apple-hating son admits an iPad and Mac are good for at least five years, BUT that I have no ability to avoid change…just wait until they release an 11" Surface Pro next year…my reply - THAT’S A WHOLE YEAR AWAY…

3 Likes

In fairness to Adorama (above) their confirming email and onsite return policy appears to be 30 days from date of invoice if a “pristine” return but have not independently confirmed:

Afraid not to the MBPro.

Was on a road trip this past week with just iPhone and iPad and had an unexpected and urgent need to do some heavy computing. iOS just couldn’t cut it.

An 11 inch Go is an option - IF M$ actually puts some horse power in it. (Ironic that Apple is putting M1/M2 in machines with an underpowered OS, and MS is under powering its mobile devices running its workhorse OS. :man_shrugging:)

4 Likes

Can thyey spell S-T-U-P-I-D? It’s a given that M$ and Apple can…

Or it is S-H-R-E-W-D when you have to buy MULTIPLE devices to accomplish one objective?

1 Like

I was reminded by a friend of my numerous (no, it was NOT double digit) forays to MacBook land and it reminds me of Einstein’s second most famous quote (and also not made by him):

3 Likes

I was quietly thinking about that other famous Einstein quote as I read about the latest deal! :sweat_smile: I do get that they’re really appealing machines though. Thankfully I’m fully entrenched in windows land, so I don’t have the same vexing questions as you. :grin:

I admire you, @Bronsky, @bishop and others solidly committed to Windows. It would be so much easier on me not looking over the fence all the time. The appeal, more than anything else, is the single ecosystem. Even though it looks like the number and quality of Android folding phones are going to increase this summer/fall (that Pixel Fold, even though no pen, is a great form factor), but there is no way I can leave the iPhone in my family situation. So here I go again…

“Second verse, same as the first…”

4 Likes

Apple software is alien to me. I have never learned to use it comfortably. That is a lot of the reason I am a windows user.

It’s only Klingon earthling - surely you can handle that… :crazy_face:

It is very “left-handed” in a right-handed Windows world, but I’ve found the Office applications are very much the same (with a few frustrating limitations). I’ve also learned if you add Magnet (for Windows-like snapping), Alt-Tab (for Windows Alt Tab switching between every open window, not just between apps), and leave Spotlight (File Manager) in list view you’re 80-85% to Windows comparability.

I could probably move to it full time if I’d just get rid of my crutches (Surface Pro 8) so I quit running back to my blankie.

2 Likes

The other thing that drives me nuts on my wife’s Mac Pro (13") is the inability to touch the screen. I can’t tell you how many times I find myself trying to move something with my fingertip only to have to look down to find the trackpad.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t call it “committed to” as much as dependent on “productivity inertia.”

I know how to do what I need to do as efficiently as I can in Windows. The mental and emotional exertion required to achieve that level of confidence in a new environment is a toll I’m not willing to pay - as I sit here today.

2 Likes

Is there a possibility that the dstraussing “gene” is hereditary? (Maybe the young’uns aren’t as tied to the Apple-verse as you might think. :wink: )

Who knows, it may even become family tradition: Christmas platform switch, Spring Apple Break, it warms my heart to think of all the possibilities for the “dstraussing family”.

1 Like

NOPE - they are more committed to iPhone than @Bronsky and @Bishop are to Windows. I’ve offered to give them a device upgrade to any Android of their choice - no way. Like so many young adults their age their entire universe is iPhone users - they abhor a green bubble (like their oldest brother’s Note 20). Sharing grandkid photos and videos is a snap in iOS, and FaceTime is reliable and seamless compared to other alternatives BECAUSE everyone in their orbit is on iPhone. A self-perpetuating Gordian Knot…

5 Likes

Memory going down in price. Something on the horizon?
https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07MFZXR1B

RE: the NVMe prices:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/memory-chip-makers-say-recovery-is-in-sight-after-long-slump-f35a576

Perhaps the result of supply vs. demand (i.e., too low demand vs. excess inventories)?

2 Likes

Likely. Samsung is trying to curtail the market slump by artificially reducing supply, but Western Digital and others were continue to eat into their market share if they remain unfazed in this attempt.

1 Like

Another update on the Adorama deal - it is brand new (factory sealed) and the shipping label on the reverse (from my delivery sticker in front) shows it was originally shipped to Ingram Micro on 11/22/22 (crate 42 of 54) which I guess makes sense as a corporate version of a base MBP (8c/14c) upgraded to 1tb ssd. $1599 is a pretty good deal even though it was originally released 10/21.

My son in law says they still haven’t stretched the M1 MBA’s they bought for residents yet.

2 Likes

If you haven’t plugged it in yet, I’m curious with what kind of battery level a half-year old mac comes out of the box!