Surface Neo redux

My aging 75 year old eyes finally started screaming at me while traveling and using my Surface Go 2. The screen was just not big enough. I used that excuse to purchase (early Black Friday sale @ lenovo.com) a ThinkPad X1 Fold (Gen 1) with keyboard & stylus for under $1000. My anticipated use case will be to use this device only when traveling. It folds up thicker, just a bit smaller and heavier than my Surface Go 2, but the unfolded screen is perfectly sized for me!

It arrived on Friday. After upograding to Win11 (to get the windowing “snap” functionality), I’m getting my personal preview of what the Neo “can” be for me! AND, I love what I see! The smaller NEO size when folded but the larger screen (albiet heavier and thicker with what I’m experiencing in the X1 fold) would be perfect for me. I’m sure the X1 Fold is not for everyone–especially those with high performance needs–but it’s going to work for me!

One more thing, being retired I try to stay away from high-priced bleeding-edge tech. My advice to others has always been, “For the best bang for the buck buy tech that is 6 months to a year old.” That’s what I just did with my X1 Fold and saved over 70% compared to when it was released.

10 Likes