Surface Laptop Studio 2 Shipping Thread

To keep the SLS2 thread focused on the device I have moved most of the shipping discussions into their own thread.

1 Like

It looks like nine demo preorders were placed since I had first posted in the wee hours today. I will post occasionally updates. For background, TD Synnex is the distributor who supplies CDW, ITSavvy, Connection, Provantage, PCC-IT, Sparco Computer, and other commercial channel technology suppliers. So far only TD Synnex’s Northeastern US distribution center, located in New Jersey, is set to get four demo units with two currently scheduled to arrive on the 17th of October. I assume one of those backorders is one of you residing in the Northeastern US.

Just for insight, the non-demo SKU of this same model is set to receive 320 units with 160 units by October 16-17th at four distribution centers:

2 Likes

Thanks for the peek behind the scenes, hope they don’t mind! :grimacing: The good news: there’s movement. Did you order one?

Yep! It’s also good that they have more on order than backordered, so there should be enough stock to go around!

2 Likes

And the crown for “master enabler” now passes to Sonic…any @JoeS device thread I think needs an an automatic “danger” tag. :smiley:

2 Likes

Haha. Thanks! More of a big thank-you to Microsoft, even after putting AI, Bing and every other of their SaaSes under the sun before Surface, for keeping their demo program in place. I don’t know of really any other vendor in the industry who does it directly in the distribution network. Ordinarily, demo units are negotiated with the vendor on a case-by-case basis or the pricing just plain stinks. For example, I have looked at the Apple demo units in the system and their demo pricing is no better than retail:

https://savvyportal.itsavvy.com/Product/Search/Keyword?keyword=ipad%20demo&showPartsWithNoCost=False&isNewSearch=False&isLCM=False

2 Likes

Daily update:

Daily update:

ETAs remain unchanged from yesterday for the demo units. For the equivalent non-demo SKU, the Southhaven, MS distribution center’s stock has just shipped and its ETA also moved up to October 3rd.

1 Like

Daily update:

No change in demos. Now Chino CA is also getting its non-demo units by October 5th. The fulfillment dates moving up is reassuring!

1 Like

Thanks for the updates. So how do I actually read these? Back order for now means orders placed but not fulfilled, on order means the vendor’s request from Microsoft, and Qty means quantity (to be) shipped to the vendor by Microsoft? And then the ETA is when the vendor gets them, followed maybe next day by shipment to the end user?

Back orders means total units of product ordered by the vendors (like ITSavvy and Connection), on order means the total units of product on order from the manufacturer by the distributor (TD Synnex), and ETA info quantity refers to the current quantity of the back orders that the manufacturer has allocated and is working to send to the distributor. The reason order amount is larger than the backorders is distributors want to have product on hand or in stock (or available) as a buffer to prevent delays in fulfillment to vendors’ customers. Manufacturers typically send over the requested distributor orders in batches. That’s why while there are 4 and 16 on order respectively for the NJ and IL warehouses, they are sending 2 and 8 units to TD Synnex’s warehouses. Once received and if no other orders come in from the vendors to the distributor, there will be a quantity of 1 and 0 units left at those locations which will be reflected under the available column.

2 Likes

@Hifihedgehog, I remember a now infamous quote by Jensen, “We are masters of the supply chain”.

Well my friend, have you considered you might actually have a second calling? Perhaps one that involves using your chops to corner the entire distribution network of next-gen tablets. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

2 Likes

Daily stock update:

1 Like

Sooo… Best estimate for when say an Oct 17 shipment makes its way to the end user? Asking for that very same friend. In other news, time as we know it appears to have slowed to a crawl. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

So that ETA refers to when it arrives at TD Synnex’s warehouse. From there, it should take 1-2 business days to be dropshipped to the end user by the shipping method they had specified.

2 Likes

Daily stock update:

@Hifihedgehog Did you indeed go ahead and cancel yours? I’m still excited for mine, hoping to see a “shipped” notice on Tuesday. :crossed_fingers:t2:

@Hifihedgehog If you have a minute, I’d love to know if “my” SLS2 shipped. Don’t see it yet on my order page.