Smartphone Photography

It already slipped to 2027?! You are right, 2028 at the earliest if it isn’t abandoned. :roll_eyes:

I’ve often wondered why someone doesn’t cut through all the bias and do a blind test of smartphone camera performance. I guess it takes a Marques Brownlee level of popularity to make it work?

Anyways, here’s his blind test of twenty 2023 smartphone cameras: daytime, night, and portrait. Just point and shoot, no fiddling with settings or even tapping the screen to choose the subject. Twenty million votes in the poll.

Call this the People’s Choice Awards. :smile_cat:

Awesome test. Some surprises.

Integral with smartphone cameras is the editing software. Google is expanding its Photos app to include the cloud-based “AI”-driven Magic Editor that previously was exclusive to the Pixel 8 (Pro?). Among other features.

Now you too can create fake photos that will fool everyone! :catjam:

I actually think it’s cool and will likely use it to improve shots from time to time. For personal use.

Magic Editor use will be limited unless you own a Pixel device or pay for a Google One sub of 2TB or more (the $10 plan and up). Samsung is going to use the same service and start charging for it next year.

1 Like

Looks like it will perform well, especially for quick edits. Personally though I prefer most of the time to edit photos on a laptop/tablet instead (it is easy to bounce or sync photos between devices).