Pen Enabled Kindle Scribe

That and the pen not requiring a battery or supercapacitor.

Far fewer confused customers wasting your customer support’s time. And if the pen stops working, then the pen is probably broken. You can just sell the customer a new one or perhaps just send one as a warranty replacement.

1 Like

Interview w/ Kevin Keith, VP of Amazon Devices:

Will get review copy next week
Review embargo will lift on 30 November
Wall memorializing all Kindle designs by year — this will be the first year w/ 4
Early designs were more experimental, later designs unifying on successful features
Screens gradually getting larger
“Blade and grip” design w/ two batteries

Scribe first mentioned at 18:00 or so — discussion of To-do list

Begin talking about the Scribe at 41:00 — can’t let you use it, leather case, portfolio design, stylus, screen rotates for left/right-handed usage.

Same OS as other e-ink Kindles.

Create a notebook, select from templates, incl. grid paper.

Folders and sub-folders for organization.

Handwriting recognition possibly next year.

1 Like

When the Surface Duo arrived on the scene I was convinced we’d see a Kindle Duo within less than a year. It seems such an obvious development tangent. Alas, I was wrong. Again.

3 Likes

I really would like to see a revisiting of the dual-screen thing — for an ereader, mimicking the facing pages of books seems an obvious thing — really wish the Lenovo Yoga Book C930 had made it in the market.

First review (in Japanese) is up:

This seems to be a second article from the same press conference?

1 Like

The second article mentions a bunch of covers, quite pricey. Interesting thatbthey will be available in a bunch of electronic chain stores. Aiming for customers beyond their normal reach in Japan?

2 Likes

A bunch of 3rd party cover designs have begun showing up on Amazon and eBay in addition to the Etsy offerings:

(already out of stock)

https://www.amazon.com/Miimall-Compatible-Ultra-Thin-Lightweight-Anti-Scratch/dp/B0BM9FD74J

https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Trifold-Kindle-Scribe-Released/dp/B0BLSJMXLM

Obviously some folks think this is going to be quite popular.

I got to see the Finitie TriFold case, when Amazon showed us the Scribe, both of the engineers had it on their demo Scribes, intriguingly instead of Amazon’s own case.

That’s also the case I ordered for mine. It seems reasonably well made as well and was nicely grippy.

1 Like

Hmm, I can’t get it delivered before 12–15 December, the stock case will be showing up before then, guess I’ll wait for reviews and to see how the basic fabric works out for me before trying this.

The stock case was nice as well, if the Finitie didn’t exist, that’s what I would have purchased.

These should be arriving soon right? Nov 30 release date meaning TPCR first impressions by the weekend? :crossed_fingers:t2:

There’s one in the wild:

https://old.reddit.com/r/kindle/comments/z83sjl/my_kindle_scribe_arrived_one_day_early/

3 Likes

According to:

https://old.reddit.com/r/kindlescribe/comments/z7vivp/kindle_scribe_arriving_tonight/iya7qre/

RM2 pen works on it.

so I guess I’m getting myself a Wacom One.

This video seems to show a Remarkable Stylus being used on a Kindle Scribe:

https://www.reddit.com/link/z86qu6/video/z3r9ur02bz2a1/player

I don’t know why it wouldn’t in the first place. They’re both EMR.

My concern was that in the past, Wacom has done digitizers which were not pressure sensitive (my NCR-3125), and which had matching styluses which were on/off w/ no pressure information — a “normal” pressure sensitive stylus would not work on my NCR-3125 — very glad that is not the case here.

1 Like

Mine is still not showing as out for delivery yet, but “pending”. Not sure if it’s a case of the system lagging reality (something I’ve experienced with the Apple Store where I actually got something on the expected delivery date though their systems said otherwise) .

I did purchase the 64GB version with the deluxe pen, both of which are apparently already constrained.

One of our customers also told me that Amazon told her that "if you haven’t already ordered, don’t expect to get one by Christmas. "

Unclear if that is due to low production due to supply chain issues, high demand, or most likely a combination of both.

A couple of customers that ordered the 32 GB version with the standard pen are still showing as delivery today…

2 Likes

Yeah, but they haven’t done anything like that in over a decade.

AES is clearly different, and that their high-end graphics tablets aren’t compatible is to be expected from a company.

I don’t think it’s worth it for them to have yet another type of digitiser on top of those.

Really? That’s messed up because when I look on the page right now it says it will arrive December 7 if I order today (32GB) or December 10 at the latest for any other version. Are they really that far off with their estimates? :confused:

Yes, but I’m still raging that the Wacom AES implementation on my Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10 is incompatible w/ everything else — I don’t trust compatibility until I have hard evidence, so I won’t be ordering a Wacom One until I have my KS (hopefully Monday) and have tested it w/ a Wacom One stylus.

You are right. I wonder if the wrinkle is certain models/configurations?

And status on mine still shows as “pending” as I type this. :frowning: