Microsoft Surface Pro X

I’ve got this Pro X set up now and I think Im going to give it a go as my primary device. The Go2’s battery is down nearly 10% as it approches its 3rd anniversary. I could probably stretch it a bit longer but the Pro X works quite well. The only compatability issue Ive had was with dropbox . I had to use the Windows S version.

I have to copy over my main files and set up outlook if I can figure out the Verizon email issues.

4 Likes

My first negative impression of the SQ2 processor is its graphics power, or lack of. My GO2’s M3 handles simultaneous playback of multiple video clips far better than the SQ2’s integrated graphics.

2 Likes

Ok. I am not going to lie, I’m having trouble finding a reason for multiple video clips playing back at the same time?

Cross examination clips from video depositions. I review them for completeness and designating stop/start footage for the clips’ use at trial. I can do multiple clips at once. I do the same with time-lapsed clips of aerial footage and site inspection footage. The Go2’s M3 eats this work up. The SQ2, not so much.

Dale. I so loved the Dobie Gillis show as a kid. It helped establish my world view.

3 Likes

Is that down to the wether the app playing the videos is native/in emulation or the GPU?

Good question. When displaying the video, I think Im using a WOA app. It was dissappointing. Ill have to check that out.

A lot of us were impacted by those old series - Maynard was such a free spirit. It was a live actor reflection of the characters from the Archie series in the comics…

1 Like

I’ve only got the SQ1, but video decode on mine is awful as well. I still get GPU crashes from hardware decode of video in Edge pretty much daily (at least it doesn’t blue/green screen after this like it did in the first year). It also can’t handle 4k60 in Youtube, nor can it handle 4k30 at double speed (which is how I watch most Youtube videos - I need to drop it down to 1440p).

1 Like

Thanks. It helps to knwo that it’s not just me. I hope Microsoft improves this in future iterations of its SQ CPU.

1 Like

You guys DO KNOW there is an ARM based processor out there that runs circles around a Core-i9?

Just sayin… :vb-devil2:

It ain’t the SQ1 or SQ2, I can tell you that.

That is one of the (reluctantly) acknowledged weaknesses of Qualcomms snapdragon lines. MS has done quite a lot on the OS side to try and compensate, but nothing they have done comes even remotely close to what Intel has done with Core I starting with the MMX extensions

1 Like

Interesting, I wasn’t aware of this at all. I was operating under the impression that “all graphics solutions will be sufficient for anything but gaming or hard-core 3D design”. Turns out, WOA solutions can struggle with simultaneous playback of a few videos! Good to know, here’s hoping the next SOC used for WOA knocks the pants off the graphics capabilities of the current SOCs.

1 Like

Wrong consonants - try “M”… :rofl:

3 Likes

But not the AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX :racing_car:, which has over double the performance. :wink: Apple has dropped a bit on the Passmark leaderboard since their M series Pro and Max hit the scene. Even Intel has gone to great lengths to length the gap between them and Apple in ultimate laptop performance.

Link: PassMark CPU Benchmarks - New Laptop CPUs Performance

1 Like

"But it’s enough for our customers. How much performance can they really need?
– Tim Cook (more or less)

3 Likes

Wattage?

To be fair that matters less on a desktop, which sounds like this CPU is aimed at.

I thought we were talking about the Surface Pro ARM models, so it is relevant - you can’t put a full desktop level processor in that Surface Pro shell…