Microsoft Surface Pro X

65W. However, at 35W, it also beats Apple handedly:

Can I run an M2 Max at 65W? No, only 35W. But I can run at any wattage with a 7945X, even above factory defaults and net even higher performance!

Plus, I can run whatever software I want, whatever VMs I want, and whatever OSes I want. Can Apple’s locked down hardware do that these days? I can install whatever SSDs I want (higher performing ones like Samsung 990 Pro), however much RAM I want (64GB currently), and even whatever network card I want. Can I upgrade my Apple computer these days? That’s the advantage of not being stuck in Apple purgatory.

3 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

But you still miss my point - you can’t do all of those things with the mighty AMD in the Surface Pro thermal envelope. And that Surface Pro casing stops expansion at 2230 ssd’s at 2tb, IF you can get the 2tb working without random crashes/BSOD.

So theoretically the AMD can mop the floor with all comers, but if you’re not in boxes, or only home brew, that’s a small mop.

1 Like

Not quite. Uh, yes, you can. The Steam Deck is living proof of this. I was speaking to M2 Max and Pro which are larger chips and fit into the 35W TDP of the MacBook Pro. The 7945HX fits more into the power user, desktop replacement bracket of the MacBook Pro line. Even though they have been forced to use 28W TDP chips, Microsoft’s Surface Pro’s power curve aims for the 15W TDP and lower when on battery. At the end of the day, Surface Pro is more an M series non-Pro competitor given the limitations of its form factor. AMD has solutions for both MacBook Pro and for Surface Pro tablet use cases. Whether or not Microsoft is game for to use them is another story entirely. Instead, Microsoft seems to have their heads up their rumps in the Wintel past which is insanity and foolhardy.

You could have just stopped after “rumps” because it’s not just the Wintel past that is ruining MS - but, now that the world is salivating at AI-ChapGPT everything, they are king of the mountain (for at least one news cycle) which will permanently implant that head…

1 Like

Well, I’m going to give the Pro X a real try. I’m just finishing up the last details and syncing the documents. The lack of graphic power is really troubling but I’m going to see just how troubling.

1 Like

You know how a builder puts the cheapest, crappiest cabinets in a new home?

The write doubling the read speed doesn’t make a lot of sense.

1 Like

MS has never been known to max out performance on their devices, DESPITE charging Apple-level prices…

Although I have to admit that I like the battery life. My go was down to 3 hours.

Here’s the size difference.

The keyboards are night and day. The improvements to the keyboard since the Go are profound.

The larger screen size does come in handy when in static mode.

And, I took the occasion to “upgrade” everything to Windows 11.

3 Likes

I feel they gave AMD a fair shot with the Laptop 3 & 4. Its not Microsoft Fault that those AMD Ryzen 7 chips overheat and BSOD like crazy. In the commercial field this is still very much an active issue with no real recourse other then swap to an Intel model

1 Like

Wow, what a totally different experience from what I have seen with AMD systems. I would say that it probably is Microsoft’s fault or an aberration from the norm. Outside of Surface too, the Lenovo and HP AMD systems I have seen out in the field have been among the most rock-solid of devices. In fact, I saw complaints in the Surface subreddit about them dropping the AMD models, not the former. I will just say that I strongly disagree with this sentiment.

Which one is Arnold and which one is Danny? Ha ha ha…

On a serious note, how is the 5g performance?

1 Like

The Pro X is 4G LTE. :unamused:

1 Like

For you big city folks that might make a difference - out here in the frontier not much upside (yet) to 5g vs 4g…

PS - love your rig and rolltop - I’ve had mine since I first made partner in 1984…

2 Likes

It does. We have 5G virtually everywhere. I live out in the woods where there are still some dead zones, but anything closer into the Philadelphia metro area is saturated with 5G signal. It’s the thing that has been drawing me to upgrade my Note 10 to the S23Ultra. I do find the Note 10 to be perfectly sized, however, making it hard to give up.

I got this a few years ago, when my aunt passed away. My cousin said her mom always felt that lawyers should have a roll top desk.

I remember when partners would get new furniture upon making partner. By the time I came along, (graduated in '88) that practice was dying.

Oh, and one more gripe about the Pro X - No SD Card Slot!! :flushed: I know that the replaceable drive makes the lack of SD card slot less important, but I like having an easily removable drive that I can have loaded with whatever files I’m working on and just plug it in. They’re less obstrusive than USB (thumb) drives and you can put your tablet away in the briefcase without having to pack the drive somewhere else.

1 Like

Same with the switch to Surface Pro 8 & 9 (in the SPX design theme). A VERY bad mistake if you ask me. If you are still a DSLR enthusiast you can use an mSDX card in a SDX adapter and offload pictures quickly. Even macro-stubborn Apple brought back the SD card slot on the Pro laptops.

PS - your aunt was spot on!

PPS - out here, we had to buy our own when we made partner -

1 Like

Noticed that SQ1, 8 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD is now going for around $400 on sites like Woot. If you only use it for Word, e-mail, web browsing you don’t really need more than that do you? Or is there some hidden gotcha that I’m missing?

1 Like

Not missing anything.

2 Likes

Agreed!

1 Like

Although, I picked up an SQ2 16GB 256GB LTE for $500. So, there is that. No idea about pricing in Japan.

1 Like

Almost half the price of Japan. Man I get envious now.

2 Likes