Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio

Present :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Glad you made it! Side note: funny that you can @ a user before he/she joins. :joy:

1 Like

I wish they would have made a version with the Keyboard in the front and trackpad in the back like the original Acer R7-572.

Most of the time, and especially in the very compact easel mode, with a touch screen, I need the Keyboard more than the trackpad.

2 Likes

We all have our preferences. For me, with my beloved MS Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard and the SLS on an articulated arm for any position/tilt that I desire… Unicorn territory! Especially now that I’m not always wishing my pen was EMR—the Slim Pen 2 + new Surfaces is very good. :vibing_cat:

2 Likes

And what’s TCPR?

And why, yes, I am in a funny, snarky mood.

Glad you’ve got a setup that you’re liking though. I could never get arms to not move too much for drawing.

6 Likes

Catching typos all over the forum :joy:

2 Likes

i’m keeping an eye on this thread.

i have finally gotten a surface duo 1, (not using it as a phone though), but might someday, i am currently using windows phone 7.5

i’m planning on updating and getting a new pc, currently using hp with windows 7-i5, planning to get an hp i9 with GPU,

and although my tablets are fine, surface pro 1, surface pro 2 (currently used daily), but the screen is bulging out,
surface pro 3 (backup, but its dedicated to scanning machine), i am thinking of upgrading to surface laptop studio.

that way, all my systems should be newer, and last me at least another decade once i get them.

later

Fwiw, @Hifihedgehog seems to think that there’s a chance of an Alder Lake refresh this year. So if it’s not urgent, maybe keep an eye out for rumors, while waiting for a good deal on a current gen model.

1 Like

It’s not really urgent.
But i have a budget → 2k
So i would like to get something in a month or two.

I’ve seen prices on ebay for the i7 variant around that range, so will probably
get one from there. Either opened, or lightly used. It doesn’t need to be new,
as i’ve never bought electronics new in the box for current ones.

new old stock for older items. like my phone are fine.

later

1 Like

When MS has a sale, check if Best Buy also has a sale. Their “open box” prices go down along with the sale prices. Last time when the i5 model was on sale for $1300, the open box ‘good’ models went down to under $1100, not bad at all.

1 Like

@JoeS - congratulations! I read in a different topic that yours is in the mail. Crossing my fingers for you! :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

@JoeS
Had a chat with a lady from Microsoft support. She said that Slim Pen 2 ought to work just as good under Windows 10 on MS Surface Pro 8/Surface Laptop Studio, with the exception of haptic feedback. That is supported only in Windows 11.

3 Likes

Microsoft is currently having a sale on PCs, laptops, including the surface.

I think the studio can get up to $100 off, when I checked. Not much, but it’s something.

3-Day PC Sale ends 2/4 - Up to $500 on selected items

later

1 Like

Looks like Amazon has a similar sale with $100 off some models, though I got mine (i7/16/512/dGPU) for $200 off there. These sales have been off and on the past two or three months and I expect them to continue to happen.

Big discounts only occur for discontinued devices, though not yet for the Book 3. Good prices can be found for the SP7+ i3 models, like this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-7-2-In-1-12-3-Touch-Screen-Intel-Core-i3-8GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-Windows-11-Home-Platinum-with-Black-Type-Cover/351505806

That’s a much better choice than the i3 Surface Go 3 if you don’t mind going up in size.

We did see a pretty good discount for the i5 SLS early January. It was $1300 for the i5/256 both at MS and at BestBuy for a couple of weeks, a $300 discount. At the time we reasoned it was because that the i5 model is simply not selling well.

well, i pulled the trigger today.

from ebay, i7, 16G ram, 512G ssd, rtx 3050 graphics card.

should be here in 3 days.

this should be a step up (ha ha) from the surface pro 2 that i’ve been using for the last few years.

i know it’s not a tablet replacement, but i will try out the different modes, and see how it goes.

later

6 Likes

Nice, congrats. Ballpark, how much did you end up paying? Since my order is showing zero signs of movement I’ve been keeping an eye on i5 units, but prices are in the $1300 range, same as brand new during the sale a few weeks ago.

list figure was $1699 - free shipping $150 tax.
it was a lightly used (refurb?) one from microsoft

actual price - (semi free) - i paid using donations
for work that do for a site. So between contributions
and a donation, i just paid for the tax.

i have 60 days to try it out. if there aren’t any showstoppers,
i will probably end up using it for the next decade, when
every has moved onto i18-1T ram, 1Petabyte SSD - RTX 13090 graphics cards. haha

later

2 Likes

That was quick, put in an order 3 days ago on Ebay, and it showed up on the doorstep today.

=======================

The box is very elegant and simple, just the machine, with the instructions, and the power cord below.

About 20 minutes to setup and get running. I stayed with windows 10 for now, so I can get used to it.

=====================

If you notice, I also have a semi recent Surface Duo 1 on the side.

I also have my phone an LG Optimus windows 7.5 phone, that i am still using.

i already had the slim pen 1, which works great with it.

I also ended up buying a 12-1 USB C dock, because i don’t have anything with a

USB C cable that I could use.

======================

I will slowly be moving all my apps, and data over to this machine.

I’m not used to a trackpad, so i’ve disabled it. Also, I don’t like chiclet keyboards,

so I will be plugging in a USB trackball and USB keyboard to type on.

I haven’t tested anything out on it yet, except for the Chrome browser, and youtube.

Over the weekend, I’ll install some video rendering software, and maybe some lightweight

retro emulators to try out the gaming.

So far everything seems smooth, and now I have twice the screen area compared to

my Surface pro 2 that I’m replacing. (Although I’ll just put that to use somewhere else).

I look forward to experimenting with the machine, since its going to last me awhile.

Great job microsoft.

later

3 Likes

I have no rational reason, business or personal, but every time I read this thread or the older one on the old site, I start thinking of ways I could justify purchasing one :slight_smile: (the i7 Dedicated graphics model of course)

4 Likes