Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio

The Samsung looks great, but I’ve had this one since Feb 2022 or so, and I prefer the screen position switching approach of the SLS. Main benefit: easy switching with the SLS hooked up to a dock (no need to lift off desk and flip inside out). Love it, just wish it was a little lighter. :slight_smile:

More musings in want I’d like to see improved here:

1 Like

yeah that’s my main concern!! If it is in tablet mode and it goes to sleep, is there a power button to wake it up? or will a tap on the screen wake it up? I had the HP x360 and their design is daft in that if it goes to sleep in tablet mode you have to unfold the whole thing to tap the power button!!

1 Like

I had that issue once, but usually it wakes when you tap the screen.

Using the power button is not bad. With the screen flat you can just lift the front edge as if you’re opening a traditional laptop, which will expose the power button (while you’re looking at the cloth back of the screen assembly). Possibly a small annoyance but not too bad imo.

Of course then there’s still the annoyance of Windows Hello looking at the ceiling when you lay the screen flat again (“close the lid”).

Congrats! I have the same one and I still love it fourteen months later. Having an actual laptop mode is awesome (no kickstand digging in your legs), and it’s also great that you can switch modes without lifting the device off your desk.

One tip, I used to try to replicate the mode switching that MS shows in the promo videos (slide the screen toward you until it lays flat, and similarly slide it backward) and it always felt clumsy/awkward. It got a lot better after I learned about The @Dellaster Flip™: flip the screen around first, then close the hinge (lower the screen) as if you’re closing a laptop. And the reverse, as described in the post above: lift the screen like it’s a laptop lid until it’s vertical, then flip it back to face you. I rarely do the Microsoft slide anymore.

2 Likes

Hey look at that, you can buy replacement feet at the Microsoft store. Perhaps they realize that these don’t stay on very long if they’ve been detached even just once. $13, not too bad. Ordered!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/replacement-feet-for-surface-laptop-studio/91k116j4m71v?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

2 Likes

Would be nice if Microsoft would be a bit more clear about what’s being updated when sending out new firmware versions. It looks a lot like I’m installing at least one ancient firmware package that’s ten major versions behind. :thinking:

thanks for posting this.

i went to this a few days ago, and they were out of stock.

checked again today, and its back. ordered 2 to be sure.

bank flagged the transaction as suspicious, but i had to chat with an agent
to get the order to go through. i guess i don’t order things from microsoft very often.

anyways, it worked out i guess. let’s see when they show up later this week.

later
|| | | || | | |
n egative 1

1 Like

Get ready for a huge box, filled with a tiny box. I can’t give you an early review yet, because I haven’t even put the new ones on yet! I guess it wasn’t that important to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

ok, got the big box, and the boxes in the boxes, etc.

they work out well. but i’m still going to get a clear shield cover for it:

later
||| | || | | |
ne gative1

4 Likes

ThisIsFine.jpg…

got a hardcover to protect the back and front,
unfortunately when i use it in the reversed mode, the front cover does not stay on.
still it was good price

later
| || | || |
ne gative 1

On a loosely related note, I dropped mine on the ground from 4ft up, and it survived. Not sure if I’d want a case on this already bulky device, but that moment did give me pause. :scream:

2 Likes

i got it, because although i haven’t dropped it.

just putting into my laptop bag, and the normal wear and tear wore down
the plastic ‘leg’ covers on the bottom,

this way they are protected like new.

later
| || | | || || | |
ne gative 1

1 Like

If anyone is still interested in trying out this form factor, there’s a sale on the first gen at Best Buy, and the i5/16GB/256GB can be had for under $750 open box in “good” condition. Not bad! The screen even has a better response time than the SLS2 screen. :upside_down_face:

1 Like