Microsoft Sells Surface Repair Parts

Microsoft is selling screens, batteries, SSDs, and more for DIY Surface repairs | Ars Technica

Courtesy of ArsTechnica…

Oh good, because I could really use some replacement rubber strips for my SLS… Let’s hope that’s available in the inventory.

2 Likes

First glance prices are pretty good - 1tb ssd is $231 - pretty good for an “official” M$ part.

BUT - this is going to be a sales nightmare - they still charge a $550 if they install that $231 part
:face_vomiting: :scream: :vb-disagree:

$1350 with 256
$1900 with 1tb

Uh… wow. They really trust the technical skills of their customers!

1 Like

Cynical me thinks they don’t care if their customers can handle it. This is all to tick the required checkboxes for the EU and US right to repair legislations.

2 Likes

In some respects I wonder if they hope they can’t handle it to “teach” the public a lesson with high cost broken repair screens, etc.

3 Likes

The sls isn’t actually really difficult to service.
I’ve had mine apart multiple times this past week trying to dampen a grinding left fan (seems to be part of that bad batch of delta fans).
Finally gave up and ordered a non delta set from ebay used. Unfortunately the official parts don’t list the fans either, which sucks a bit. One of the only moving parts in the device likely to go wrong.

The screen they’re selling appears to include the entire foldover hinge mechanism, so honestly $500 doesn’t seem awful, you’re paying for all the hardware of the hinge as well as a reasonable quality display.
Probably still cheaper to dumpster dive from ebay, but it’s good to see a backup source.