M2 iPad Pro 11

I was pretty indifferent with the M2 iPad announcement since I assumed it was as boring and incremental as everyone said. And it is—for normal users which include most of the high profile YouTube personalities.

Dave2D caught a glimpse of what Pencil hover improves, in general, and here’s a first impression of the announcement from a professional digital artist.

And more thoughts on the reactions of non-artist YouTubers.

Thoughtful and interesting stuff. It seems that the art pro segment should be excited at what the Apple focus on digital art might mean for the future. They kind of ignored normal users this round in order to do better for art.

I do agree, I held off on the M1, even though it was a much bigger upgrade comparatively to this one, but I am much more tempted now just because of hover. Procreate looks to be implementing it well. I’ll probably wait to see how CSP handles it before deciding for sure.

Well drat, Apple just gave me shipping info and it’s UPS. FedEx would have delivered tomorrow morning before the mail service closed at Noon, UPS rarely does. The service is closed on Wednesday (hey, it’s a free thing run by volunteers) so I won’t get to pick it up till Thursday morning after 9 a.m.

Yeah, I know, a First World Problem. :jack_o_lantern: Happy Halloween.

3 Likes

Ooh, I see that Apple opened a new store only 124 mi away. A 250 mi round trip is certainly more doable than the previous nearest at about 375 mi round trip… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Too bad it already shipped.

2 Likes

Try 308 miles ONE WAY!

1 Like

West Texas is a long way from anywhere. I’ve done an endless drive through there a handful of times. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

I remember the old traveler’s poem about driving across Texas, “the sun has ris, the sun has set, and here we are in Texas yet.”

Anyway, I’m 11 minutes from an Apple Store. Door to door.

5 Likes

And yet you CLING to Microsoft and Android?

After my son’s sophomore year at Emory two of his roommates decided to drive from Atlanta to LA for a summer trek, and when he got back to campus that fall they told him he was an idiot and lived in an idiotic state because it took LONGER to cross Texas (from Texarkana to El Paso) than all of the rest of the trip COMBINED. Clearly a college kids’ exaggeration, but the LA leg is the same (800 miles) as crossing Texas…

1 Like

It’s because most of Texas is flat and featureless. It’s like you’re trapped in a two-dimensional space with sagebrush and armadillo roadkill for entertainment. :yawning_face:

2 Likes

“Nothing like this way out in West Texas,
Galveston Bay is a whole other world”
Who’s the Blonde Stranger, Jimmy Buffet

Jimmy Buffett - Who’s The Blonde Stranger? - YouTube

3 Likes

Galveston bay is definitely nothing special. I prefer West Texas.

4 Likes

Question.
It is not an Apple store per se, it is called Worldcom, basically an Apple store where Apple don’t want to open a store. By car it is around 5 minutes away, inside a giant mall (Apple doesn’t do that, do they?)

Everything Apple available, big hands on area, Genius like counter. But also some third party accessories, Anker battery packs, iPhone cases, that sort of things. Is an Apple store strictly limited to Apple peoducts?

Yes, that’s very common. I don’t recall them selling non-Apple products, however. But I haven’t visited one for over a decade. Some Belkin items are sold on Apple’s online site so maybe?

1 Like

Sound more like a lame excuse for him to shill for Apple. The advantage would make sense if he mentioned where it would benefit most, namely as school and kid beaters. He danced the around the price uptick in the argument which is why I am not for it.

I thought he did, so I watched it again and it’s at 6:35+ that he pointed out repair costs for deployments of thousands of units in education and enterprise…

He also said no way was the price increase worth it, maybe $50 instead, so I’m not sure how much more he’d have to stress it to not be a shill? He was on vacation in Korea and this was a quicky.

1 Like

Hope you guys don’t mind that I swept up a bunch of iPad 10 comments into its new dedicated thread. I tried to maintain the integrity of the discussion which wasn’t always cleanly possible. Most ‘mixed comments’ (involving both Pro and non-Pro models) have been left here.

4 Likes

Thanks! I definitely appreciate all the excellent moderator things that you do around here. :+1:

4 Likes

+1; and @Hifihedgehog too

4 Likes

15 minutes round trip to two different apple store(if we don’t include time it takes to find parking at these malls). 20 if include the apple store 5 minutes away from the other apple store. One of them really sucks the other two are solid.

1 Like

BTW: If you really want to see what your miniLED iPad display is capable of, check out Cabinet Of Curiosities on Netflix.

Unlike the Sandman, this has HDR done properly. One advisory though is that it’s a horror themed anthology. But if you are ok with that, check out the Story “Graveyard Rats” which is a gruesome as it sounds, but it has a lot of extreme light and dark visuals in the same frame.

Comparing it to my rather pricey Samsung TV it looks obviously much better with far more detail in both light and dark content.

1 Like