Lenovo X1 Fold discounted $500

Still no joy (or) fan in Mudville (IFYKYK).

I did boot it up for a short time to test the pen and take some size comparison photos.

Pen
The pen is very nice. Close to Samsung GB 12 OG quality. No tails, IAF is enough, almost no offset, just enough drag and still smooth. Wish it had a built-in eraser. I need to figure out how to program the 2 side buttons. Definitely as good as SP8 with Slim Pen 2 and some better.

Size Comparison
Apologies for the parallax/perspective; these are only meant to be referential rather than engineering quality.

I used an iPad Mini 6 for frame size and screen size:

Scale of visible screen. (Those white dots on the Fold are stars in the stock wallpaper.)

This is compared to an iPad Air 5 M1 (basically the same frame as the iPad 11 Pro).

Keyboard

Other thoughts

• I am really impressed by the pen.
  • In “clamshell” mode with the keyboard on the lower half, I could see this as a very good form factor for simple to intermediate typing on a plane flight or in close quarters
  • It’s just enough wider than iPad Mini 6 keyboard to really improve the typing experience.
  • Typing experience is good, tactile; mouse pad is a bit small but responsive
  • Lenovo made some interesting keyboard layout choices
  • That “notch” in the Fold bezel just above the keyboard in the second photo is the camera. Perfect spot for full screen use; perhaps a bit low to use the camera when in clamshell mode.
    SUPPLEMENTAL:
  • I could really get used to this 4:3 screen in portrait (but I would have to find a stand solution as the fold out only works in landscape

Conclusion
I would have paid full price for this and skipped the SP8 LTE if Lenovo offered 16GB RAM and the modem (which was never offered in the US).

2 Likes

I never reported back here, but I was able to return in January (extended holiday return period) of this year for similar problems. The unit kept reporting hard disk issues that diagnostics never validated. Lenovo wouldn’t replace it, so I returned it.

I really loved the form factor and size (especially with Win11), but the system was too unreliable for me even after spending weeks doing updates and reboots of all types–I also needed to connect a USB keyboard during the reboot process MANY times. I suspect that there was some kind of a driver problem with WIn 11 that Lenovo never got around to fixing.

I hope that you have better luck!

3 Likes

Thank you for this. I haven’t even attempted Win 11.

Good news is my fleabay seller had this device enrolled with “premier” service.

Sketchy news is, for this device, the fan is on the SYSTEM BOARD(?!).

Good news is they’re drop shipping a replacement board today, with the possibility of repair happening on Friday or Monday. Could’ve been tomorrow or Wednesday except for the holiday.

Sketchy news is the technician will come to my house, and according to the very helpful phone support guy, it’ll take “a while” (hours?) to replace the system board.

On balance, if this works, it beats the c r a p out of ship it off and wait four weeks. Still hard to believe I got “premier” service on a fleabay purchase. :vb-agree:

3 Likes

FWIW windows 11 might actually be helpful here since as of I think the cumulative update last summer, plug and play discovery was completely overhauled and should thus provide among other things status of various devices within the system

1 Like

Interesting @Desertlap. I haven’t owned a ThinkPad device in a few years. The Lenovo Support pages run a component by component troubleshooter that was impressive.

Assuming I decide to keep this thing after the repair is successful, I may install W11.

Thanks

1 Like

Well, there’s GOOD NEWS, uncertain news, and BAD NEWS.

Good News
The technician arrived on time and replaced the system board - there’s a lot of stuff on that system board. The system board booted right up.

Uncertain News
He had to use a YouTube video from a third party (not Lenovo) to figure out how to get the thing open.

Bad News
He broke the screen. This is “Premier” support, BTW. New screen should arrive next week.

:vb-headbang:

2 Likes

BB Geeksquad by any chance…

Wow that sucks. Any chance that this bad experience might get them to send you a new replacement? Edit: nvm, new screen on the way. It does seem like replacing the whole thing would have been cheaper for Lenovo.

1 Like

All I’m missing is a new battery. I’m skeptical they kept the leather back cover on correctly.

2 Likes

not sure why the delay in release of 16"
wanted to get that last year, but meh… at this rate intel 14 gen processor will be out by then, and this gadget can be considered as DOA

Latest:

A second on site tech came. Took one look at the disassembled pieces left by the first tech, and called his supervisors. Then L offered me a “comparable” replacement because they have no gen 1 Folds left in inventory (ala MS & SDuos), and the gen 2s “haven’t come in.” I declined, and they said the next best option is a “depot repair.” I will receive a label and box to ship to them. We’ll see how that goes.

2 Likes

Tell them you’ll take one of these…

2 Likes

Mmm, pass.

Interesting. I would grab one in a heart beat if they were available in Japan. Why the pass?

1 Like

I have the sense that display orientation is not “lap-able” and not very mobile friendly, meaning for maximum use I’d need to be at a desk. If I’m going to be at a desk that much, I can think of better displays and keyboards I’d rather have. Just preference.

2 Likes

That is probably true and one of the aspects I don’t see included in reviews.

I absolutely agree! The size, orientation & overall capabilities of the Gen 1 made it into an almost Surface Neo for me. The weight was a bit heavy. I loved it, but I too had hardware problems and gave up on the unit because of reliabilty.

1 Like

THIS JUST IN:

I received the X1 Fold back from the depot repair today. They reinstalled the OS, according to the printed work list.

TLDR: It’s working but here’s what it took to get it there.

I don’t mind that, since I hadn’t had time to customize it. What I did mind is that when I turned it on, the wireless network adapter wasn’t found. :vb-headbang:

I get support on the phone. Guy looks at the total list of parts and says “I need to get a supervisor on the phone because of the amount of work we’ve already done on it.” I got him to slow down and walk through the device manager with me. No wireless adapter listed. I asked about reinstalling the driver and rebooting. He said, somewhat surprised, “Do you have another computer?” Seriously tempted to play the “Do you KNOW who I am?” card.

After reinstalling the driver, and being led to a much less than obvious reset pinhole button (which I could only depress using a cell phone SIM tray ejector key), the system rebooted with wifi and bluetooth working. I ran windows updates. It rebooted with the power cable plugged in. No network adapter found - again.

I powered down, removed the power cable, and it rebooted with the network adapter working.

5 Likes

Just when you think Microsoft has outgrown its DOS roots…

1 Like