iPadOS 16: Now we know why iPad Air 5 has M1 chip

I listened to the MacBreak Weekly podcast on my walk this morning, and one simple comment from Andy Ihnatko about the net effect of WWDC this year, as opposed to last year’s power/efficiency/performance extravaganza of the M1 disclosure, put all of this in perspective:

“Look at the new features we are going to be able to give you…here is something you will be able to do with an iPad that you were never able to do before. Yes we are cutting off people who aren’t using M1 iPads but this is us telling you this is why, this is the future, this is why you should probably start replacing your old Macs with new Macs, and maybe this is why you should start replacing your old Windows machines with new Macs and new iPads because clearly we have such a detailed roadmap of where we are going and how everything is going to work together…”

If there is a central theme in the Windows world over the last five years it has been “What is Microsoft doing and where are they going?” They look so much like Google by just throwing things up against the wall but with very little sticking…the ONLY roadmap at MS is we WILL sell you SAAS (even the OS) and you WILL like it…

1 Like

That quote from Andy struck me too when I listened to it yesterday. Again, a year ago when they came out with 16 GB in an iPad Pro people were wondering where the heck Apple thought it was going. It’s pretty clear now that they knew exactly where they were going and that iPadOS 17 will continue on that path.

It’s the kind of road almost taken by MS back in the Win8 days but they took a hard turn to the clouds and SAAS instead by putting Nadella in charge.

Edit: I should add that I think Microsoft is probably making the wise decision for enterprise. Not a good one for us consumers though. Apple‘s direction is consumer focused. They always have been. Which is why I’m switching over completely. I’m not enterprise, I am an individual consumer.

2 Likes

BINGO!

Now that I am in my solo law practice phase, I don’t have the enterprise baggage, so my swipe at MS may be a bit unfair. However, in my new role, and as a consumer, the walled garden is starting to look like it surrounds Central Park, not just my back yard…

UPDATE:

I also believe by the time of release of iPadOS 17 I’ll be down to an 11" iPad Pro OLED 124gb/1tb/5g and the MBP14 will be gathering dust…

I am SO DUMB - they already do - it’s called Magic Keyboard…

1 Like

An alternate analogy: it’s like eating a multi-course meal at a fine restaurant, everything prepared and cooked by the chef to go well together from start to finish. As opposed to filling your plate at a smorgasbord with total freedom of a limited selection, but the courses don’t go together very well.

1 Like

You must have seen my Golden Corral post with enchiladas and hot dogs…

Nope, where was that? Great minds … :rofl:

1 Like

Our good friend Lisa (@lisaMobileTechReview) gives a quick review of iPadOS 16:

I think she was impressed…

2 Likes

Reading over various comments across the web that are understandably disappointed with the M1 requirement for Stage Manager, et al, the old mantra “buy for what it does for you now not for what it might do in the future” really proves its truth. I mean, it could easily have turned out that only M2 and/or 16GB RAM and above would get the new stuff and then almost everyone would be SOL until they bought new devices.

I’m actually fine with iPadOS 15 functionality for my needs and desires or else I wouldn’t have started the switch to Mac + iPP weeks before WWDC. That I will be able to take advantage of the new software shinies is a lucky bonus. I was no prophet; I would never have guessed that they would go this far, this year.

1 Like

Despite all my begging and huffing around here, I agree I never thought they’d go this far. One thing that screams out to me though is that to get developers to implement all of thus stuff in “Pro Apps” we are going to have to start paying PRO PRICES for them - it’s only fair…

1 Like

Some developers were already charging PRO PRICES on iPad but for non-Pro implementations not near as Pro as the Mac version. But I agree with the price parity if they amend that disparity.

Apparently some dongles work (3:55 mark)…

But Silva also reported he’s had crashes 50% of the time with his external monitor - maybe dongle failure…

1 Like

Yes. the “rules” with iPad/Stage Manager video output are quite different from what we’ve seen so far with a Mac… Part of it most definitely is due to it being beta.

But it’s also looking a lot like you gotta respect the specs. In other words, some of the failures are due to adapters/cables/displays not fully conforming to USBC/TB/HDMI spec.

2 Likes

You need to add a signature to your account like a Gibbs Rule:

“Rule #1 - top quality cables!”

1 Like

Ah, thanks for the detailed insight on the virtual memory. That would explain the segmentation where it is indeed a hardware limitation on virtual memory support that many of us in the x86 world take for granted. The iPad Air already was lightyears ahead of the Surface Go 3 in performance but virtual memory that enables desktop-class multitasking changes everything. At this point, Microsoft should be going red alert and applying warp factor 8 if they want to the keep the Go and Pro lines intact. If Apple adds a macOS application support next year, the Surface line is DOA in my view. Because I have only acquired it so recently, I have decided to keep my Surface Pro 8 for at least one more year. I will wait at least until (1) the M2 series is fully released across the iPad line and (2) also hope but not need that Apple’s one more thing for AWDC 2023 be either macOS app support and/or tetherless sideloading in iPadOS. Point #2 is not essential but more a nice-to-have because I can still effectively sideload with app signatures good for one full year between tethers with a $99 yearly membership of an Apple developer account.

My bet is this is at least iPadOS 18, or perhaps never as you envision it. Seems to me they are driving hard for cross platform development of all apps by all developers from iOS to iPadOS to MacOS, with the last having enhancements the other two can’t/shouldn’t deliver. So unless you need “full” PhotoShop, Final Cut, Logic Pro, etc., you’ll have the majority of their features in your iPad-centric version.

That’s pure spectaculating, and I kin hardly spell compewter programin’…

1 Like

Yep. As you say, it will be probably years from now… and that’s iffin’ they ever do it. But I was very pleasantly surprised, so never say never? If they do, I bet the iPad Air becomes the new Surface Air for a great many folks, including the @Bronskys who are the non-Pro Surface and Surface Go fans that they can always depend on for revenue. You just can’t beat an iPad’s battery life so once it is made to easily do all the PC stuff, it’s game over for Microsoft Surface.

1 Like

I’m not sure that troubles MS as it used to - with the heavy emphasis on SAAS, cloud solutions, and Windows 365 (Office in the cloud) I think as I said once before we are “One big happy fleet!” and revenue is the only concern, whether WIndows, Android, or whatever flavor from Apple. Of course they will go on to Windows 12 or whatever is next (have to keep the OEM’s and enterprise happy) but losing the tablet battle to Apple does not carry the DNA-based revulsion it did for Gates and Balmer…

3 Likes

Just watched it, looks promising. She mentioned that you can use an M1 iPad and non-mirrored external monitor without using Stage Manager. So it seems like having a full-screen app on the external monitor and say split-screen apps on the iPad would work. All sounds pretty nice, can’t wait. I’m almost ready to forego AMOLED as a must-have. :grin:

2 Likes

Interesting note from the Fernando Silva video posted earlier, you apparently cannot drag windows between the iPad and the external monitor right now :thinking: (see the video at 6:05).