iPadOS 16: Now we know why iPad Air 5 has M1 chip

BTW: being serious for a moment, we haven’t done so previously because there hasn’t really been a need, but we do intend to test the thunderbolt docks we have with IOS16 on or about official release.

That being said, even the OWC dock, the best TB dock we have, doesn’t seem to support the external full displays options that are available when the iPad is connected directly to the display.

Possibly IOS or dock or both and perhaps the OWC may need a firmware update.

One bit of new information I never ever suspected I needed to know but actually, that was cool to know.

If the icon for stage manager is off… it means the function is off right?

Well, this totally sucks…maybe @Bishop is right - is this getting to be a never ending stress battle for minimal gain?

On the ipad it’s not something you turn on or off per se. As near as we can tell, at least with is version it’s always present and active, the “button” so to speak just allows for some control function.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/laptops/news/apple/161397-what-is-apple-stage-manager-and-how-does-it-work-on-your-mac

and the relevant quote from the article; " Apple hasn’t yet clarified how to activate or access Stange Manager on iPad. Stay tuned."

So don’t stress until October when it actually releases? Who knows what things will look like by then and you’ll have a better idea on iPad Pro ETAs with M2, etc.

2 Likes

You guys are really great here - for all the kidding and jostling, everyone has everyone else’s best interests at heart…and yes, we are in way to early times to start stressing out over what we didn’t/might not get.

Thanks Ted!

2 Likes

Besides, there has to be some way to power the iPad and connect to the Stage Manager external display - ? :woozy_face:

iPadOS 16 is in alpha/young beta; docks like the OWC can receive firmware updates; iPP can get firmware updates; things might change.

As @Desertlap suggested.

(Edited to make it clear who I was responding to)

Yes that one’s easy. There are multiple USBC monitors such as some of the LG ultra fines that can provide power. The one I have at home on my desk can provide up to 95 Watts

1 Like

Oh I see

Thanks. Was confused over that

Then in this case, would have to check on non M1 ipad to determine whether they can display full extended monitor view or still the same black bars duplicated view

Coz I have both M1 and non-M1 iPads @ home

The improved monitor support is m1 dependent as well. Even with IOS16 non M1 iPads will only have the same mirroring they have now.

1 Like

Oh boy, MORE gear…

I went to read up on the notes

Under memory management. IPad Air 4 and above can virtual swap for ram till 16gb

So I don’t get why the rest are locked out except to force people to upgrade

2 Likes

Bingo. Apple tax squared. NVIDIA does the same thing with their hardware with artificial software locks on certain features, such as hard limiting the number of video encode streams on consumer video cards.

@lisaMobileTechReview first look at iPadOS 16.

Thanks, Lisa! I’m a bit clearer on the concept now. :vibing_cat:

It does tingle a bit, doesn’t it?

1 Like

So as an update, this is definitely near alpha /early beta types of issues and there are significant bugs and incomplete features in IOS16

Perspective is important here, as to why for example there seems to be issues with TB/USBC docks right now.

It’s been around long enough, but plug and play which at its core relies on device enumeration, is by far one of the most complex hardware/software interactions of modern devices. After all. it wasn’t that long ago with Windows it was nicknamed “Plug and Pray”

And now with the M1 iPad Pros, it gets even more complex across the chain.

Just some examples;

Power: is the device a bus power provider, or a bus power consumer and under what circumstances?

Data: What speeds and connection protocols are supported/required?

Bus Arbitration: For example which devices produce or consume power and what other devices then consume or provide it when you have multiple devices that could do either (think a powered TB dock and the iPad Pro for example, or the LG display I talked about yesterday)

Video specific: Things like DRM, encoding and UI appearance get more complex too. For example an ongoing issue with Macs, Netflix and HDMI issues have been a whack a mole scenario for the last couple of years where 4k content with many 4k capable televisions at best showing content in HD or Full HD.

And with the UI, how do you scale the UI across two screens with significantly different DPIs. Just to provide a reasonably smooth experience of say dragging an app window from one screen to the other.

TLDR: this is very early days and I expect a lot of the issues will be resolved or at least improved by official release. After all there are real reasons why they call it BETA

3 Likes

@Hifihedgehog I’m not going argue your broader point about companies including/excluding specific functions as justification for various product tiers, but I’m reasonably certain that the extended display support and/or stage manager has a fundamental core cause which is that the M1 is the first of Apples chips to explicitly be designed for support of virtual memory.

It’s been around so long in both Windows and MacOS that we take it for granted now, but there was a time when even with Intel where virtual memory was essentially a kludge.

When Apple produced the M1, it had to include virtual memory because MacOS was of course highly dependent on it.

And you are actually right, indirectly about why up to now it hasn’t been in the A series chips, or for that matter, part of Qualcomms snapdragons as well which is increased power consumption. And again on a say a laptop with a far bigger battery the increased power consumption wasn’t as big of a downside , as the gains to be found in performance and flexibility.

OTOH phones are perpetually starved for battery power and every effort was/is made to be efficient where they can.

And BTW: IOS 15 on the M1 essentially just “turns off” the VM features of the M1 Chip

So TLDR; in this case its a valid functionality issue and not an arbitrary differentiation.

PS: This might breathe new life in to jail breaking as it’s certainly likely possible to enable a VM like option on older A series chips, but there will certainly be penalties to doing so.

3 Likes

Not to mention expanded and extended memory - boy, that dates me doesn’t it…

2 Likes