You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave’ "
… Glenn Frey

3 Likes

Yes but one of the lines in that great song is
“We are all just prisoners here of our own device”

Glen Frey must be an Apple user :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Damn Apple !

Just got the first Alpha up and running on our lab Air. Even now Stage manager is smooth as butter…

2 Likes

Sweet! It looked so smooth in the presentation that I wondered if it was, er, staged

2 Likes

Yup, that part was foremost in mind. The more sinister elements of the song kind of fit too… :vibing_cat:

3 Likes

OTOH, a lot of apps are going to need to be updated to play properly with the new zoom external display features. Most outright crash or display in odd sizes.

Notably though, both Word and Excel, work just fine.

4 Likes

Thank you sir. You’ve just cut the Gordian Knot.

Trading the iPP11OG just to try and salvage some value, while laying out more cash, on a device platform that gets 15% use if I push to pick it up, jumps right into the teeth of the problems incurred while apps catch up with the OS.

If @dstrauss and others are right that M2 could be on iPad this Fall, I am arbitrarily deciding that my sweet spot to consider moving will be M2 and iOS 17/18. Mischief managed.

This is quite literally the worst and best. Apple has given me all kinds of new decisions I need to make based on Stage Manager and the M1 requirement. Do I hold off for an M2, making my resell/trade-in value that much lower for my 2020? Do I try keep the 12.9 size when I do upgrade since the larger screen is a boon to multi tasking and I already have my MBP semi-permanently docked at my desk. I’m not likely to dock the IPP instead. I was almost completely set on the IPP 11 M1/M2 as my next upgrade for the portability factors. Now I’m wondering if maybe I just get an iPad Air 5 and keep the IPP 12.9 also? Doesn’t really solve multi tasking on the 12.9 though.

one more update, It looks possible that the app fix for external display support is going to be trivial in many cases. With our own app, it was simply a matter of unchecking a requires parameter and recompiling it.

It now works properly.

2 Likes

:+1: :+1:

:chicken:

My nagging issue is despite the ease of tethering, I want the simplicity of built in 5g even despite
the $20 monthly toll with AT&T…it just never ends for me, I swear…

1 Like

Perhaps, but I have freed up countless brain cycles to other more productive tasks. NOMO FOMO. Namaste.

1 Like

If only I could find your level of tranquility Master Yoda…

I should consult @Bronsky and find peace in a Surface Go 3 LTE…

2 Likes

Go4/5G is worth the wait probably.

1 Like

Thanks, but I’ve called whoa on WOA…

2 Likes

Can anyone help to try the following if installed dev mode

1. Without stage manager active. Can external monitor still works showing full screen?

2. When multi tasking. Can all the multi task windows still be active while under background. Eg. Games / videos

3. If you power off the primary iPad screen, will the external monitor goes to sleep?

I’m glad I’ve stuck with my decision to purchase a 12.9” 16gb ram model. The windows look too small floating around

1 Like

Answers in line above

1 Like

Looks like a good dock is going to be a necessity for power and peripherals - surely external monitor support in dock, right?

Seems like it’s up to the developer then, since Google chooses to have YouTube pause if it’s not in the foreground. Except if you pay up for whatever their premium service is called these days.

In my dreams my future M2 AMOLED ipad Pro 11 will work flawlessly with my Lenovo thunderbolt dock :crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes

dreams are the best way to hope for it I’m afraid :slight_smile:

1 Like