iPadOS 16: Now we know why iPad Air 5 has M1 chip

Yeah this is where it could get ugly, as it’s not strictly true. With USBC monitors, or USBC to HDMI adapters it’s true you can’t. But genuine Thunderbolt capable monitors such as Apple’s own displays, a couple of LG Ultrafines and one (so far) HP Dream Color you can. Bear in mind though that the HP Dream color 34 is $3500 by itself (though it is a fantastic display)

Unclear if they will be able to work seamlessly with the first groups above, though a software “refresh” where all displays go blank for a moment to redraw, is being looked at. It works, but looks weird as the dragged window, momentarily looks huge and distorted until the redraw occurs.

As I mentioned awhile back, full spec compliance which unfortunately is a significant issue with most of the PC OEM displays is an issue.

4 Likes

So not only Apple certified thunderbolt cables but also Apple certified monitors are required… Maybe. :vb-lol:

Was this in response to the “drag to the other screen” comment? If so: interesting. The iPad in the video clearly knows where to draw the “mouse pointer” in that scenario, since the pointer appears on the top monitor as the user drags up starting from the iPad screen. Maybe just a bug? Or is it some DPI scaling issue, in which case it would be affected by DPI, not type of connection, right?

@JoeS it’s not at all clear yet. There are multiple bug reports on this and different people are getting different results dependent on hardware involved. And we do think scaling differences is at the root of at least some of it.

Same as with some of the more general stage manager issues. Unified memory architecture presents some new challenges.

3 Likes

Sounds pretty buggy for something that’s supposed to be RTM in about three months for the new iPhone/iPad releases! Anyway, looks cool, I’m pretty excited. Although not quite as excited realizing that devs will indeed very likely use it as an excuse to proclaim new major version updates requiring new app purchases. Not sure if I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of the $50 Cubasis 3 just yet, but something tells me Cubasis 4 with Stage Manager support is right around the corner.

3 Likes

If it’s anything like our experience with our own apps, it likely more of needs testing, a small fix and a recompile.

One of our custom apps crashed hard whenever we sent it to a non iPad display. But turning off a required resolution setting and recompiling seems to have fixed it.

I do think Apple undersold to a degree how big of a potential change in the OS this is. OTOH, up to now the number of people using external displays on regular basis with an iPad is mid single digit percentages allegedly, though everyone expects that to increase significantly with IOS 16 and beyond.

4 Likes

I wonder if it will boost the market for external displays with touch support. Suddenly there will be millions of people with a device that can put a touch-optimized UI on a large external screen.

Do we know if iOS 16 plays nice with touch-enabled external monitors? I would love to put Cubasis on something like the Surface Studio display and just touch drag all those mixer sliders, even several at the same time. Drool. Wait, there’s an emoji for that. :drooling_face:

That is likely a whole new bucket of worms. Touch does not work with the two touch enabled displays we have in our labs, and we haven’t gotten a definitive response from Apple if that’s even going to be an option. Given how picky (or insert your own adjective here) I highly doubt it will be supported at least initially.

If they do, I expect they will do it with a certification process similar to the existing "made for iPhone/iPad " program.

2 Likes

So this is a variance for me, but I’m going to make a recommendation that I otherwise wouldn’t. But if you are really serious about your iPad Pro becoming a primary work tool versus a secondary device (like me). you might want consider participating in the public beta.

My sense is that Apple realizes that this is a big change and seems to be (at least at the moment) actively listening to and soliciting feedback on IOS 16, especially stage manager.

Of course the normal caveats apply such as not using it on a genuinely production system unless you are ok with the inherent risks and bugs that go with it.

3 Likes

Count me in (big surprise). I have a refurb Magic Keyboard on order from Woot ($155 with estimated delivery 6/24) so should be ready in time for the public beta release. My real goal is to test out the File enhancements - at this point it looks like full external screen support and windowing are nailed down, even if buggy in this initial release, but the real challenge will be whether file management is up to snuff for this old guy…

PLUS one other critical matter - can I use Word in two separate windows on the external display…if that works, I can make this my primary device.

3 Likes

Sweet deal! Good luck in beta.

Edit: I see that the 12.9” Magic Keyboard is only $160, an even better deal for someone.

1 Like

@dstrauss On Word, not yet, but there are major revisions of all the IOS office apps in the works to align with the new Mac version of office due this fall.

2 Likes

It looks more and more like Apple-traz is working out far better than anyone of us had ever expected. Heck, many of us may be your fellow inmates if they keep this up!

3 Likes

Yeah - just listen to me - all I’m really asking Apple to do is give me a Surface Go 3 with iOS software… :woozy_face: :crazy_face: :flushed:

1 Like

Dear Apple, Microsoft, and Qualcomm:

Apple - sell all your now obsolete old M1 parts to Microsoft.

Microsoft - tune WOA for M1.

Qualcomm - get the H out of the way…

Love, Dale

2 Likes

Apple-traz here we come - it’s no Finder, but it has a lot of improvements…

3 Likes

Here’s a display that’s properly compatible with the iPad Pro IOS16/Stage Manager.

It’s also a very good display, comparable to Apple’s studio display, but a much lower price though it doesn’t have a webcam. It also has enough ports that for many it could serve as a dock as well.

We’d recommend it.

2 Likes

WOW - even has Ethernet built in. That would be an interesting docking solution as well.

Hard to tell if this is genuine or just clickbait, but interesting regardless.

Apple Stage Manager pushed me to purchase an iPad over a Windows 11 PC | Windows Central

1 Like

A Windows Central writer picking an iPad Pro instead of a Surface or other Windows device… yeah, that won’t draw clicks. :roll_eyes:

But it sounds like he means it.