Huion Kamvas Studio 16

Now that is some pretty tablet right there!

I’m still a subscriber to the design philosophy where you get a keyboard built into the unit, but this definitely appears to be from a unicorn pasture.

Of course, that naturally includes the accompanying price tag, in the neighborhood of $2400 CAD. (Before duties and shipping!) Sooo $3000?

But it’s good to know it’s out there. Pie in the sky, but attainable with a decent ladder.

Eagerly awaiting review.

I’ve tried and purchased tablet pro, to no avail with Samsung Wacom emr Spen laptops. Right click mouse as side switch spen remap fails as my animation apps hook the mouse too deeply at a system level for tablet pro to work.

And for my work I need the extras like display switch to get to a 2nd monitor using only the 2nd pen button. (Non existent on say the Galaxy Book3 pro 360 I had)

Huion incoming in about 2-3 more weeks for me.

1 Like

So I received the Kamvas Studio 16 yesterday, got windows up and running and my preferred animation software installed that needs that low level right click… (TVPaint) -everything worked amazingly well. The EMR feeling of drawing was exactly like Wacom, if not better.
Silky smooth and the driver options are all there exactly like the competition they are mimicking.

BUT: the backlight was defective on arrival down the middle of the screen. :sob:

A dark area turning on & off at random intervals. The build quality of the tablet seems ok…but not incredibly great. For example with the tablet on when I put the thing down on my lap normally, I saw a brief spot of interruption in the LCD, as if the pressure from the rear of the machine was pushing all the way through to the front in a thin spot. Almost like when you put your finger on a modern TV screen, and you see a little ripple in the LCD. This happened all the way from the rear of the unit coming through to the front of the screen just sitting there on my lap. Sort of alarming to see. It made me not trust the build quality enough that the LCD backlight would go out again that I opted to return the tablet for my money back. Huion sent me a label and I’m waiting for DHL to pick it up right now. They say they will issue the refund as soon as it’s in transit. We’ll see how that goes.

I ended up finding a 2019 16" Wacom Mobile Studio used on Amazon for around 50% off of the retail price. (Which honestly at this point is what the thing is worth anyway) so the price will be about the same and I will have a 4K screen, far better gpu and HDMI input if I need it.

I think the build quality will be much better as well, and I’m going to add 64 GB of RAM and a 2 TB SSD, to handle all of the bitmap heavy work that I do. Grr… Wacom, I’m stuck with you for a while longer. But do the right thing and if the rumor is true that you’re not going to make your own laptops any longer, please please do the right thing and enable your full Wacom driver and pen support on all of the vendors you sell your technology to like Samsung. It’s either that or you are dead in the water. I won’t choose Wacom over Huion tech any longer, now that I have much better priced and equally performing alternative is available. But I’m in a weird spot because I have to have a Windows Wacom enabled tablet for the very specific software that I use when I travel. And it’s getting to be the end of that era. Honestly an M2 iPad Pro does so much, for mobile work things are just going to change drastically in the next few years.

As for Huion, My overall experience was pretty good aside from the obvious hardware defect. I’m sure that was a one-off but I just don’t want to risk it. If my large cintiq ever dies though I would totally go in for a 27" Huion display. I think the differences between Wacom and Huion at this point are incredibly minimal and Wacom has an absolute equal and true competitor now. Sorely needed!

C

5 Likes

If I ever go in for a pen display, I am pretty sure it will be Huion. The only thing I really want that I’ve only found on Wacom is a multi-touch version, and Wacom’s is ridiculously overpriced.

But I agree with the IPP also. There really isn’t anything I can’t do with it for my art workflow. I just wish it had a good desktop workflow for things other than art.