Drawing screen discussion

I guess it’s time to open another thread to discuss drawing screens. The following are some of the screen with improvement in 2021 /2022 that I have been paying attention to:

Asus ProArt Display PA169CDV: 4k, 15.6", Wacom EMR, scroll wheel, touch enabled, thin bezel, two angle kickstand price expected to be 800$+

Wacom cintiq Pro 16 2021: 4k, 15.6" Wacom EMR Pro Pen 2 version, touch enabled, thick bezel, low kickstand, no button or wheel on device, single USB-C or HDMI and USB supported, 1499$

Huion kamvas 16 plus 4k: 4k, 15.6", Chinese EMR, no touch, no buttons or wheel, thick bezel, single USBC or 3 in 1 HDMI USB cable, foldable stand included, 829$

Huion kamvas 16 QHD: 2560x1440, 15.8", Chinese EMR, no touch, no buttons or wheel, thick bezel, single USBC or 3 in 1 HDMI USB cable, foldable stand included, 599$

Huion kamvas pro 13 QHD: 2560x1600 (16:10) 13.3", Chinese EMR, no touch, no buttons or wheel, thick bezel, single USBC or 3 in 1 HDMI USB cable, foldable stand included, 399$

Huion kamvas pro 24 UHD: 4k QLED (16:9) 23.8", no touch, Chinese EMR, no buttons or wheel, thick bezel, single USBC and HDMI, integrated stand, key dial included ,1299$

Huion kamvas 24 Plus QHD: 2.5k QLED (16:9) 23.8", no touch, Chinese EMR, no touch, no buttons or wheel, thick bezel, single USBC and HDMI, integrated stand, key dial included ,799$

XP-PEN Artist pro 16 TP 4k: 4k, 15.6", Chinese EMR, touch enabled, no buttons or wheel, thick bezel, single USBC or 3 in 1 HDMI USB cable, foldable stand included, 899$

Legacy

Lenovo ThinkVision LT1423p

• 13.3”-inch IPS LED Monitor
  • 1600 x 900 resolution
  • Built to last with Gorilla Glass
  • 10 point touch Windows 8 certified
  • ThinkPad Digitizer Pen (ThinkPad Tablet 2 Pen: 0A33899, 04Y1470)
  • Simple cover stand to support landscape & portrait usage
  • Build in typing stand
  • USB3.0 interface for both power and signal
  • Digital controls 3 keys

Bravo to Huion for making a big range of high res screens, but none of them have touch.

The Asus Art Pro and XP-PEN 16TP both have 4k, pen and touch, but the Asus has more portable design, scroll wheel an Wacom EMR as the advantage. If the Asus is priced in the 800-900$ price bracket, it would be a clear winner .

No comment about the Cintiq Pro 16, same old design for those who have the $$ and really need Pro Pen 2.

It’s interesting that Huion had added a lot of QHD options, as I find 4k overkill/ wasting resources for screen under 16". And the QHD 16 was actually 15.8" which is slightly bigger than the regular 15.6" size. If it had touch I would be really tempted. :laughing:

What would be your ideal screen? :grin:

4 Likes

Definitely the Asus ProArt. And that product line is almost always top notch. It does seem that it may need two USB-C cables to run, mind.

Asus have some Zen portable displays with MPP coming as well, for cheaper no doubt.

PS I just made your post a wiki (so anyone can edit it) as this list is going to grow.

Also, should tablets with display extension options be discussed here, or is that better suited to another thread?

1 Like

Thanks, making it a Wiki would make it much easier for others to update. Tablets with display extensions can be included here too, as it’s a niche segment.

What about the older Lenovo monitor? I can’t remember the name, but they were going cheap on Ebay last fall, and a number of members bought one and liked it. Older EMR tech. Anyone remember the name?

ThinkVision LT1423p. Added to the wiki.

Before the old forum shutdown, someone found a bunch on eBay and there was a bit of activity around them.

1 Like

Still use one regularly! Love that thing, it would be nice if it had better resolution though.

1 Like

I still remember these. 39-45$ USB 3.0 13" Wacom screen. I would be very tempted to import one of these as an impulse purchase if wasn’t for it being a Displaylink device that would surely conflict with Super Display.

Grumble, grumble, can’t stealth edit on this forum.

Was anyone able to get the wireless functionality working with the ThinkVision LT1423p? That sounds like a simple, functional, cheap answer to a lot of things.

As I understand, it has a battery, uses EMR, and can be wireless. Right? Sounds pretty nice.

Can you power it through a USB-C to USB A connection? I’ve done that for other peripherals from my laptop, but not for tech as old as it.

I think there are different models, mine didn’t have wireless capability. It does run on the power supplied through USB, although it occasionally complains about insufficient power and dims the screen a LOT. It is indeed EMR, I am using my old white generic wacom pens that I bought in the X61t days. :smiley:

I remember there was two different model, one over USB and one wireless only. I wouldn’t expect much from the wireless-only model though, considering the technology of the time.

Even on 2022 devices, wireless drawing screen is still barely usable on the fastest wifi. I remember someone on the old forum mentioned that they managed to get Samsung second screen to run at acceptable speed to use, but it is less hits and more miss for me.

2 Likes

Recently I impulsely purchased a Chinese screen again, a GM156HD. Why did I buy this despite being a fully Super Display convert who look down on 1080P? It was an improved version that had quite a bit of good features for the price.

The old GM156HD had non laminated screen, 1080p with 10 buttons, but this new improved version had laminated screen, and most importantly 10 touch point support. All for 180$ (chinese import price). I don’t know if it’s coming to the west yet but probably sooner or later.

• I had been so spoiled by SuperDisplay, using button for zoom and rotate no longer do it for me, so touch is a must-have. The touch on the screen work as expected, but zooming can be a bit laggy, and without driver installed, Windows occasionally mistake the pen input for touch. After installing the driver it seem to be working okay.

• I had always liked the pressure curve of Gaomon back in the day of my old GM156Pro before the LCD failed. One criticism was the pen tip is still the old pen model with springly nip assembly that can cause a little tail at the end of lines if we are not careful. Gaomon ( and XPPen, Huion as well) seemed to have fixed it with upgraded pen nip assembly with firmer, less springly tip. That new pen is only available in their Pro line of screen however, and the pen is not sold separately. I will look into buying the new pen when it’s available to check it out.

• Despite the laminated display, glass is pretty thick so i can see a visible like 2mm gap if i look closely. It won’t affect drawing or visible if i don’t try looking for it, and the pen track cursor pretty accurately.

• I was curious why their Pro line of screen is still non touch, still 1080p. It had a rolling wheel and new pen but i don’t think it’s worth the price increase, but i probably found the reason when the screen arrived. The GM156HD was heavy and 2cm thick, double the thickness of the Pro version. I don’t mind it, and thanks to the thickness, there is VESA screw holes behind the screen, that make using the screen on desk much more easily with a monitor arm.

My eye still can’t unsee the 1080p after being spoiled by samsung for so long, and the SPen is still better than the springly tip, but it’s still a close second and a good backup if SuperDisplay stop working someday.

1 Like

Should’ve probably gone xp pen pro gen 2, those look closer to the samsung tabs with the 16:10 screens and higher res, I was pretty set on them before finding a cheap dell canvas…

Idk if Gaomon is related to Huion (I think someone told me they are) but Huion’s pens went downhill after they got rid of the springy tip imo, the initial activation got much worse, xp pen’s is supposedly good since they started using the x3 chip but I haven’t tried those.

Interesting, one of the reason i liked Gaomon was because of the super light activation force, almost on par with apple pencil. I had XP pen before and didn’t like it that much because the pressure curve was stiffer and take more force than Gaomon.To be fair the XP pen can make sharper, prettier lines but it just doesn’t feel as natural and cause more hand fatigue for me. That was 2017 XP pen though, i don’t know how they work now.

My only complains on the Gaomon was the somewhat loose and springly tip that can make little tail on drawing. But i would take that over higher activation force on newer pen. Can’t say for sure unless i try it.

Btw to me at 16" and 1920 pixel wide, 16:10 or 16:9 are the same thing. Won’t be able to unsee the pixel unless i go for the expensive 2k. And one of the reason i bought Gaomon was touch, which is a very rare feature on a very affordable price tag.

Yeah when the Huion kamvas 22 plus released I bought it as an upgrade to my old pro 20, but it straight up was a downgrade cause of the bad IAF, so bad I ended up selling it back, the kamvas pro 20 was legit on pair with wacom, anyway ended up finding a guy with the same problem while complaining on reddit but he was coming from I think that specific gaomon and I don’t think either Gaomon or Huion have got it right since then (think I saw pentech 4.0 is coming tho).

But yeah Xp pen even has specs for their pens out, the new x3 pro chip ones are 3 grams while their other stuff is 12g, so I’m guessing those should be much better…

Still that New asus proart seems like a decent deal considering wacom tech, 4k and touch but I was looking for something bigger anyway so whatever lol

1 Like

Did you try using your old pen on the new Huion screen before selling it? Theoretically the digitizer is still the same thing and it’s just the pen that changed so the pen should be interchangeable. Or was it the whole screen pressure that is changed?

Don’t remember exactly but I don think it was compatible cause I did try them side by side, fairly sure it’s the new pens that aren’t as sensitive cause they did release the slim pen that’s supposedly better but also most people seem to think it feels the same.

But yeah xp pen’s seem to be better now and ugee is also using the 16k level pens so they might be the same since they’re all under hanvon with xencelabs.

Gaomon and huion seem to be the under other company and Gaomon announced some 16k levels pen with a touchscreen so I’m guessing huion is coming with a new gen of pentech soon

Just stick to wacom tech if possible imo lol, chinese brands are a bit too inconsistent