How many and what devices do you use on a regular basis?

On the advice of counsel, I invoke my fifth amendment privilege against self-incrimination and respectfully decline to answer your question.

:rofl: :face_exhaling: Four, not counting buying and returning one unopened.

5 Likes

Ha ha. Me too.

5 Likes

Care to explain a little further? How does this clip on work?

Just an educated guess from all of the comments and rumors about having to do something with the S Pen, but I think it will be a case with an edge holster for the Pen, much like the Spigen case.

If, and this is a BIG if, the only reason they won’t do a silo is because of lack of internal room, then hopefully we’ll have a real S Pen (like the S23U) that uses a much smaller clip on that edge instead of the big bulky pen. Otherwise, they’ve been lying because they don’t even have a slim pen to begin with.

Surface Pro 9 - Daily. Work and home life
Intel Nuc, 12th gen - Daily. Main home desktop
Pixel 7 Pro - Main phone
Surface Duo - media playback and backup on holiday
Logitech Megaboom - Main home speaker
Sennheiser CX True Wireless Earbud - Work
Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 - Home

I, basically, removed 2x huge 5.1/5.2 speaker systems, then moved to one single bluetooth speaker. For anything else, there’s headphones. I don’t miss the large amount of speakers, but I do wish that Logitech would move the range to USB C ports/chargers.

Less, for me, is now more.

2 Likes

It’s been over four months. Time to refresh my list.

M2 Pro Mac mini—“Endgame Mac” — all my desktop things and also Windows gaming via CrossOver, emulation with Dolphin. Owned over five months now and I can say with absolute assurance that I would buy it again. It’s a delight every time I sit down at the keyboard in front of its monitor.

NEW iPad mini 6 — I have come full circle after the M1 iPad Pro 11 and M2 iPad Pro 12.9. Both are excellent for what they’re intended to be. Not so much for what folks a year ago—including me—dreamed they might soon become. As a tablet, the iPad mini 6 is without peer and it’s my most-used device by far.

GONE M2 iPad Pro 12.9 — easily gets the most % of daily use. Browsing, media, some ebooks two-page landscape, screwing around with the Pencil & art apps, photo editing. Shares some gameplaying with the Mac mini via Sidecar. Also is the wireless pen display for Rebelle 5 on the Mac. Used in portrait mode with external keyboard when writing (Ulysses app).

iPhone 13 Pro — does all the usual smartphone functions and supplies the hotspot for everything else when needed (the Netgear Nighthawk MiFi takes care of most of that). The only camera I use and it’s sufficient. A belt clip keeps it handy on hikes (occasionally) and outdoors volunteer duties. For most audio consumption (music, podcasts, audiobooks) except when on my daily walk or puttering around outdoors. The Watch has taken over that duty and does it well.

OG Apple Watch SE Nike version — health & fitness monitoring, easy notifications while on the go, simple text and email responding (dictation works surprisingly well), driving navigation (haptics reminders of next turn is great), … etc., etc. and a growing etc. Heck, it’s even my cooking timer. It now links to a temperature sensor in my RV so that I get an alarm if the AC goes out due to a power fluctuation in this 100+°F (~ 40°C) heatwave and I need to rush over to reset it lest my kitty overheat. I also check it often manually. This thing has become indispensable.

Honorable mentions which get used at least once every week:

Kindle Paperwhite (6.8”) (almost daily lately), Kobo Clara 2e (library books mostly), Steam Deck, and Microsoft Duo Uno. The first three for the obvious purposes, the Duo now only for backup, like if I leave my iPad mini at the park visitor center during lunch and want to browse this forum while I eat. [Duo Uno removed since it is no longer used at least once per week. Sometime its battery is dead when I happen to turn it on, it’s been so long.]

5 Likes

Nice. For me not much changed, except more devices are being ignored.

Still in regular use:

Surface Laptop Studio – i5 16GB 2TB, main machine for work and play. Still love it, just recently bought new feet for it.

iPad Pro 10.5 – Recently doing duty as ESPN+ Wimbledon streamer. I guess I do have downtime.

iPhone 12 mini – Would upgrade to iPhone 13 mini if I see a good deal, but the 12 is doing fine.

Apple Watch Ultra – Love the long battery life. Still haven’t taken it diving, for shame.

Surface Duo 1 - still use it every night to attempt to read five lines in a book.

New - mostly ignored:

X1 Yoga 3rd gen with eGPU – not much time for gaming lately

Galaxy Book 2 – Not much time for sitting around watching video on a tablet.

Still basically abandoned:

Kindle Paperwhite 2021 – Basically unused because I’ve been too busy during the day, and I use the Duo at night.

Sony DPT-RP1 – Great for outdoor PDF reading and markup, but I haven’t had too much time even for leisurely outdoor work sessions.

2 Likes

Has it been over a year yet? It has really worked out well for you. :+1:

3 Likes

I love the idea of an “update” as it’s interesting to me anyway how long term usage patterns might adapt or change based on changing circumstance.

For me, the 12.9 iPad Pro has become my most used " casual computing " device. I use it now for couch surfing, kindle duty (after I adapted to using it in landscape mode), casual gaming (via Apple arcade) and on the go movie watching.

As anyone that has paid attention to my posts here and on the old boards, my longtime background is with displays and I’ve yet to find anything in the market that IMHO comes close to the quality I see in it (and yes @JoeS I continue to pay attention to OLED but IMHO they still aren’t quite there yet) in overall totality with it’s display and including the iPad platform as a whole.

That being said, I’m also quite happy with my Surface Pro 9 5g and my Iphone 14 pro for work related tasks and it will take significant advancements in either device before I’d consider an upgrade… eg I’d pop for an 11 inch surface Pro 10 and/or a foldable iPhone.

PS: I’ll find out Saturday if a possible ROG Ally changes my kit…

PPS: Honorable mention goes to my Kobo Elipsa which basically has become my primary document markup/review device, though also relegated to the specific task. The Kindle Scribe is edging closer and could take back the e-reading duties as well with hardware (lighter weight) and software updates (still not to the level of the elipsa in ease of use for markup/editing)

1 Like

Absolutely 0 change for me in the past 4 months, and actually in the past 1.5 years. For someone who loves tech, makes me kind of sad that I haven’t changed anything, and that I actually use relatively little. But I also like being a minimalist, and wish I could get my 3 devices somehow down to 1 or 2.

4 Likes

me as well, but it seems that for me anyway a forever hopeful versus practical outcome.

Yeah, it would actually be ideal for me to have one more device as a software developer, so I could test on Windows, Mac, Android, and IOS, respectively. But I dream of merging my IPP and Macbook into one device that I can take everywhere and do everything on. Maybe an 11" Surface Pro will eventually happen.

A year and five months so far. It’s worked out great, I really do love this form factor. Hoping for a lighter refresh with higher contrast ratio screen, and more powerful CPU.

1 Like

UPDATE SINCE MARCH:

Surface Pro 8 (i5/16gb/1tb/LTE) This is my full time workhorse now - doing double duty for all business and personal computing. At work it’s paired with an OWC Thunderbolt 4 hub (a great device) with the two bargain32" 4k Samsung monitors; at home it teams up with a 27" LG Ultrafine.

iPhone 13 Pro (256gb) The do everything device - mostly camera, FaceTime, iMessage, email triage, light web surfer, and still occasional phone calls. I can’t overstate how much it is my primary camera, while accumulating coins for the iPhone 15 Pro Max (with periscope zoom - PLEASE BE 10x, not the lame 5-6x being predicted).

Apple Watch 7 I consider this as much a part of my tech gear as any of the others - critical in triaging calls/messages, as well as monitoring heart rate and being my workout companion.

M1 iPad Pro 11(512gb 1tb/5g) It is just gathering dust, with occasional use for editing photos from my iCloud photo vault. In all honesty, I still love the form factor, but the keyboard choices (whether Magic Keyboard or Logitech) is just bulky and hefty compared to the beautiful kickstand/signature keyboard of the SP8.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - Panos, don’t wait until October for the 11" Surface Pro

UNLESS - you do what you REALLY SHOULD DO and give us NEO 2 5g

5 Likes

@JoeS we heard through our supply chain sources that MS purchased early in the spring, sample quantities of a miniLED display in the size/form factor that matches up with a possible studio successor.

The bonus is that it’s a gen 2 panel, allegedly (haven’t tested one yet) with significant improvements to power consumption and linearity (a mild weakness of the panel in the iPad Pro 12.9)

Also allegedly set for a fall announcement.

3 Likes

Edited my comment above, but the core of it is pretty simple (and has been given in other threads), but here we go again:

• Samsung Galaxy Book 3 Pro 360 — I wish it was as easy to select text on this as it used to be, and I wish there was an interface for it as nice as Go Corp.'s PenPoint
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ — I wish Android was as nice to use as my Newton MessagePad
  • Kindle Scribe — the new features are nice, but it feels really clunky compared to the Newton
  • Kindle Paperwhite (really need to update this to a newer/faster model w/ USB-C) — wish it had a stylus, but it’s been relegated to bed-time reading
  • Apple MacBook w/ Touchbar attached to a Wacom One and 27" Samsung 4K display — use this for work (two different jobs, both tele-working)
  • Nintendo Switch (I spend too much time grinding on Diablo 3)
2 Likes

Ooooo, the Ally has taken over here:

ROG Ally - primary Windows computer plugged into nice mouse, keyboard, monitor, MIDI controller
Boox Tab UltraC - primary tablet, color eInk slows down the doom scrolling, even though it’s a little small for sheet music in performance, it was great for scores when conducting where color matters more than individual notes, it’s also the primary holder of teacher books for homeschool stuff
Z Fold 3 - warranty replacement has perfect screen protectors and better battery endurance than the cracked one, stands in as desktop when the kids earn game time on the Ally, primary phone and notepad with Spigen pen case
Boox Max Lumi - still the best for reading sheet music in performance where I have to actually play notes, so it’ll stick around
Duo 2 - fold up and put in my pocket reading device
Duo 1 - scratches the experimentation itch

GalaxyBook2, Surface Pro X, and Galaxy Tab S8 are in limbo to either be passed down to kids or sold. Oh, and also the GalaxyBook 10.6, but that one is still fun to pick up sometimes. Maybe I should put Linux on it…

7 Likes

Basically a miniPC (a la NUC) in handheld form so that you can use it mobile, too. Smart usage. :+1:

2 Likes

I forgot which thread I mentioned it in, but one of my engineers has been doing that with his Ally since release day.

He’s had to alter his workflow a bit, but he has found it more than workable including using a small logitech keyboard trackpad for productivity office type tasks. That might be a bridge too far for me due to screen size, and my old eyes.

1 Like

Yes, I brought the fold up keyboard and a BT mouse (not in the shot) to gymnastics. One kid got to play on the drive down which killed about half the battery, but it recharges so quickly. Another kid got to play on the drive home. I was still working on the set up so everyone gets their own account with their games, but between the various family sharing and child restriction set ups in windows, xbox, microsoft store, and steam, it’s a huge pain to say the least (there’s a fun topic for another thread). And I’m going to need to upgrade the SSD when whatever game my husband was interested in is released.

I forgot the little stand for it, so it’s propped up against my youngest’s tablet in it’s big foam kid case with feet.

7 Likes