Forum.TabletPCReview.com - R.I.P

The forums have been closed and it appears that the forum content will not be available from TechTarget so it appears that our efforts to get the forums archived was time well spent. Kudos to @Hifihedgehog for his efforts…

8 Likes

Dang, now we’ll never know if @dstrauss would have lapped everyone in post count. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

It’s QUALITY, not quantity, that counts… :disguised_face:

5 Likes

Yeah, I was browsing here because I saw the notice.

Not so keen on the contents of the notice, but let’s leave it at that. And they did give us time to finish up and move (plus not actively stop the Internet Archive scraping process).

End of an era, but at least we have here! Thanks @Hifihedgehog and Co.!

6 Likes

“Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.”

3 Likes

The devs at Discourse are very adamant about emphasizing read time and count over post count and won’t budge on offering an out-of-the-box option though it is quite possible that a plug-in could bring this to the user cards. That said, you and @Dellaster are pretty much the leaders in read count as well. Congratulations or condolences? :crazy_face:

1 Like

DO NOT add a post count - as I proved at TPCR it is irrelevant (and a sign of mental illness)…

4 Likes

Wait, I’ve lost a passage or three: archived?? :thinking:

2 Likes

I did notice they DIDN’T point to HiFi’s et als hard work here preserving the community - one reddit, Linus Tech Tips, and Toms Hardware guide - WHICH got me thinking - we need a general topic just to post tech support Q&A so users don’t have to find the “right thread” to get a quick question - "Why did my screen go black? - well, was it an SP8, GB12, iPad - I just need a quick answer.

3 Likes

Stereotypical retirement. Plenty of time to kill.

1 Like

We could ask r/Computers to post about our forum move so people catch it if they go to that place on Reddit.

We specifically asked them about adding a link to the new forums on the placeholder page. Turns out, they took the time to write this “heartfelt thank you to the entire community”:

it is really you, our readers, that drove the spirit of TechnologyGuide, as savvy tech consumers helping other savvy tech consumers find the right solutions for their personal and professional endeavors. The community has been fostered amongst its readers, and anyone who ever posted a comment, question, or response to the board, along with our forum moderators…

Yet could not be bothered to add a few extra links to the actual replacement forums created by the TPCR and NBR communities.

@Hifihedgehog let me extend my heartfelt thank you for creating this haven for us. It’s good to be free from the cold, corporate yoke.

8 Likes

You’re welcome. I’m trying to do the exact opposite here and keep this as ad, data tracking, gatekeeping, and money free as possible so forum users feel like they can just have fun here talking tech without all those distractions. If anyone does want to lend monetary support, I ask you donate to your favorite charity the amount of money would have given here. :smiley:

7 Likes

@Azzart : Welcome back! Yes, the TPCR forms have been archived and we hope to have a link that users can follow when they feel the need to excavate that content. Take some time to look around our new forum; you’ll find some extensive posts about how the archiving was accomplished and also a brand new artists and content creator forum just waiting to be broken in with new content…

1 Like

Exactly. @jnjroach

1 Like

I second this✋.

I’m not sure that I agree. It’s not like we set up the forums with the Dewey Decimal System in some complex way. Looking through the forums might actually allow a member or guest to discover the answer to their problem on their own. Sometimes not a bad thing, I think.

Just my opinion, though…

2 Likes

man…trying to access the old site and seeing that “no longer active” message…even though we all knew it was coming, that hurt to see.

4 Likes

If users use the Troubleshooting tag under the applicable category and add the necessary device tags, that does the trick.

Yeah, it was weird deleting old TPCR bookmarks! And @dstrauss , man, I can’t believe they put up a link to r/computers, with not a peep about our new forum. Highly relevant indeed…

Summary

2 Likes