Brainstorming and Suggestions for Forum

Preferences➡️Profile➡️Enable Signatures➡️Uncheck “See user signatures below posts”

I once clicked on a section of the old forum and there was a whole new layer of fora which I had never realised existed - a whole different set of posters - it’s underneath the off-topic and I found myself with other versions of the characters from the main Tablet Pc forum.

Are you keeping them? I’m just curious - where will the regulars from “Smartphones” “Digital Cameras” and “Notebook Computers” go?

How about a mashup guys? Trying to preserve the simplified layout that everybody likes, with the engagement factor of the old megathreads, while keeping everything organized. :slight_smile:

COMMUNITY

• Announcements
  • Artworks (share digital creations)
  • Tablet Setups (share custom setups and mods)
  • What Tablet Should I Buy?
  • Buy & Sell
  • Off-Topic

WINDOWS TABLETS

• Windows OS
  • Mini-Tablets (11" and under)
  • Slates/Detachables
  • Convertibles
  • All-in-ones

APPLE TABLETS

• MacOS / iOS
  • iPads
  • Other (Modbook)

ANDROID TABLETS

• Android OS
  • Galaxy Devices
  • Pixel and Chromebooks
  • Smartphones
  • E-ink Devices

TECHNOLOGY

• Tablet Software (art and notetaking)
  • Drawing Tablets, Pens & Accessories
  • Platform Advancements (x86, M1, ARM, security, eg. Spectre, EMR/MPP/Wacom AES)
  • General (emerging tech: batteries, digitizers, industry trends & topics: cloud services, privacy, etc.)

Each topic gets a pinned news thread and users are free to create sub-topics within. Simple, yet organized? What do you guys think?

4 Likes

I like this a lot. I like the heading “Community” which sounds way more appealing than “General”. I guess it’s OK to have Art lumped in with community. We can probably start a “Share your artwork” thread in there. All of these should get decent traffic, which is what we want. Nice work.

1 Like

I really, really like this set up. It is clean up top and the subcategories are a perfect fit for the specific device categories. Thanks @Marty, @JoeS and everyone else (@trust_level_0) for providing the input, moral support, and contributions that got us to this point. By the way, I am interacting with someone on DeviantArt about a new logo which should be here in a couple months after he gets through his backlog of logo requests.

1 Like

I like @Marty 's structure…

I share @SteveS concern about the name change…

@dstrauss Maybe we should call it TabletPCReboot. TabletPCRefuge? But we already have the domain name, no hiding from that. What do you suggest?

1 Like

@JoeS - “Reboot” and “refugee” will always have meaning to us, but not to the person joining tomorrow or two years from now. Again, that is “looking back” as @SteveS would say. Something new like TabletPCLife.com is available - the number of “taken” tabletxxxxx.com domains are gone (and so many available for purchase from $2500-$18000 - insane).

1 Like

@Marty had suggested to me doing a wiki about tablet PCs as well. TabletPCLife.com sounds good for the community end. I also see TabletPCDb.com as available. Maybe the forum be TabletPCLife.com and the wiki be TabletPCDb.com? Anyone (@trust_level_0) have anything to add to this?

@everyone (@trust_level_0): I just implemented Marty’s suggestions above in the forum structure. Yeas and nays to any of this?

Yeah I forgot to add the winky face, those were not serious suggestions. So are we really considering changing the name and/or domain? I’m OK with that, but for name recognition on Google, we should at least keep the words TabletPCReview somewhere on our landing page. E.g. “TabletPCLife - home of the former TabletPCReview” in the site description etc.

Sorry. I kind of ran with it given that several lawyers here have expressed some concern about us taking the Tablet PC Review name with us. We have none of their old content but this could be taken as a shallow infringement even if TabletPCReview and Tablet PC Review are not registered trademarks or copyrights. We may need a disclaimer stating we are not affiliated with, sponsored by, endorsed by, or otherwise connected to TechTarget and its properties. I mean, just to play it safe. If not, I may just buy up those domain properties just to play it safe.

Hey @Hifihedgehog, a few questions I had for the pinned thread starters

1. When you say:

(Replace this first paragraph with a brief description of your new category. This guidance will appear in the category selection area, so try to keep it below 200 characters.)

How will the guidance appear to a new user? Can you give a screenshot? Just want some context to determine visual layout and I’ll gradually work through each category filling out your questionnaire. :vb-wink:

2. Are the pinned starter threads intended to evolve into news threads for general topic discussion?

I’m planning to answer the 4 long form questions as replies to your first post. Once we have full guidelines established, we could condense everything back into your OP, if that fits with your vision.

3. We might need an ‘Other Brands’ category under Android to capture Chinese tablets (eg. XaioXin Pad Pro) and re-branded variants (eg. Lenovo Tab P11 Pro).

Overall the “Android” category is a loose category intended to include Android, Chrome OS, and Linux tablets, so the JingPad A1 would fall under Other Brands. How does that sound?

1 Like

This all looks really terrific @Hifihedgehog

Talk about going above and beyond! :+1:

1 Like

The red sections would correspond to each category description.

We could do that. Discourse also has the option to add cookie cutter topic template. You can enable them for each category or subcategory. I did that with the Buy/Sell/Trade subcategory by going to this option:

Alternatively, mods/admins could manually move posts into their own threads seeing that there is the option for that too.

Ideally, though, I think users should be mostly self managed so a topic template for certain categories might be the better approach. Maybe there is a middle option too I am not seeing here or we could do a hybrid of these things?

I was thinking we might need this bucket as well since Android is a huge category which encompasses numerous smartphones, tablets, and so on outside of Samsung and Google. I’ll go ahead and add it!

2 Likes

Suggestion: make a new normal thread for suggestions rather than a Q&A thread. I keep getting lost in this one! Like “where are the new posts” and “why can’t I respond to this comment”. Maybe I’m just getting too old for this ****. :smiley:

1 Like

Normalcy restored. Q&A turned off.

1 Like

Ok, lets just leave those pinned threads you have there for now. Once discussion starts going, we’ll determine which sub-categories work well with a general discussion thread and re-title each thread as neccessary.

Some sub-categories like Platform Advancements, might work better with multiple pinned threads by architecture (ie. x86, M1, ARM).

Another suggestion: I think having both a “Lounge” and “Off-Topic” sub-category is redundant. Maybe we can convert the Lounge into the general user hangout for all trust levels?

If we need private discussion for higher trust levels, we can use the Staff main category to do that.

1 Like

I had to laugh when I read this. I feel the same way. For whatever reason, the Q&A protocol doesn’t work for me at all…

1 Like

Oh please yes. I gave up on trying to read the Q&A thread days and days ago. I’d be in the middle if reading a post, a refresh and reshuffling would occur, and I’d have to skim the whole topic to find it again. :crying_cat_face: