Blackview MP80 - A Full Featured Mini PC for $260

Looks like a small Mac Mini but look at the specs:

• 12th Gen Intel Alder Lake N95 processor (4 cores/4 threads, 6MB cache, up to 3.4GHz, 15W TDP)
  • 16GB LPDDR5 RAM
  • 512GB M.2 SSD
  • Supports 4K UHD high-definition output, 4K UHD display resolution of 4096 x 2160@60Hz, and 1200MHz dynamic frequency
  • 3x USB 3.0, 3x HDMI, 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports, 1x 3.5mm HP/MIC TRRS, 1x 5.5mm DC connector, 1x power port
  • 4-in-1 cooling and noise-cancelling system
  • 2.4GHz/5.0GHz dual band Wi-Fi
  • 3.25 x 3.25 x 1.5 inches
  • Windows 11 Pro
  • 2-year warranty

Interesting, no USB C ports…

2 Likes

Somebody told me, “Intel has stopped making the NUC”.

And I thought, “Why?? That was such a great little form factor. (Oh well…, I guess it’s old now and we have better, smaller tech…?)”

Turns out they were just tired of doing it themselves, not that the design is vanishing. There’s more NUC style computers available now than ever!

My guess as to why Intel stopped producing them is that they were only ever trying to establish a market trend, and now that they’ve solidly kick-started things so that other manufacturers have picked up the ball, they can get back to what they do best; making chips to feed the need. -And, I gather they need to really focus on their core business; That they’re a couple generations behind their competitors on the whole ‘transistors-per-human-hair’ thing. Didn’t Apple buy up the entire future run of some whiz-bang new 1nm chip design coming out of TSMC?

(btw…, it seems to me like there being only one chip foundry on the planet handling most of the best processor production is a pretty bad idea.)

2 Likes

Particularly if one company (that only holds ~28% of the global mobile market share) has the need/capability to buy up all of its capacity.

1 Like

Cool that this actually came to market. We saw the prototype early this year when it was being shopped originally as a higher end Apple TV or Nvidia Sheild alternative (and running a customized Linux Distro)

They must not have had takers in that config, so they are trying Windows perhaps. I’d have real concerns about thermal management though as the aforementioned prototype we saw got quite warm almost immediately.

2 Likes

It would be karmically appropriate, (though it would cause a global, “Ooooooh Nooooo!”), if for some reason the 1nm design had a critical flaw and Apple wound up with a whole generation of iPhones which glitched when Jupiter was in retrograde or the Sun decided to spit extra big flares or something. (At teeny tiny scales, quantum mechanics starts to matter more and more).

1 Like