Asus ROG Flow Z13 (2023) - a high-performance tablet

That metal body of the acronym edition looks pretty cool from a distance. I like the straps as well. You apparently also get 2 different type covers, though they should have made 1 of them normal looking imo.
Pretty amazing they can get decent performance with the 4070, though personally I think a cheaper & lighter version without dgpu and with more efficient cpu would be interesting as well (probably would get it over the surface pro with the better port selection).

2 Likes

Also a look at the 4070 version:

Also I did a pen test on TabletPro’s Channel:

7 Likes

Thanks for keeping us posted by posting here post YouTube post. :+1:t2:

@cbutters : Very interesting inking video, but it’s hard to judge line smoothness versus your hand steadiness / jittering.

Have you tried using a dielectric straightedge to remove hand jitters? In the past I’ve used thin cardstock, like the stiff backing on a paper pad, with some success. That might allow you to provide a bit better comparison of line quality with the various pens.

Note that plastic, or any material that can accumulate a static charge, will disrupt the digitizer…

2 Likes

Its great that you go into details about the kickstand and edges etc. I wonder how well the Acronym version can handle drops with all those extra rubber/plastic pieces on it.

Yeah, it wasn’t the best test in that video, I was literally sprawled over the desk to try to get a good angle on it and still keep the device positioned in the frame for Tabletpro… but I can say, that you definitely don’t want the slim pen 2 for the Z13, the original Surface pen and the Asus pen felt really good though.

1 Like

Found this while browsing on Amazon, of all places: In response to a question about the availability of the Z13 i9 / 4060 (GZ301VV), the response was “Supposedly it will be available in America sometime in Q3 which starts in June By Amazon Customer on April 25, 2023”

2 Likes

I’ve been obsessively checking for the availability of the Z13 4060 version. But with all the wait, my eyes have been wandering at the Asus Zenbook Pro 14 with a 4070, up to 48G ram, stylus support, all at a manageable 3.5 pounds.

2 Likes

That sounds amazing. Lighter than the SLS without discrete graphics. Not convertible though right? Hmm… I must be looking at the wrong one.

1 Like

@nyb72 : If you really want a GZ301VV right away, Newegg offers a Taiwan model (with Chinese characters added to the otherwise English keyboard) for about $2800, which is probably about $600 higher than the eventual US price.

ASUS ROG Flow Z13 GZ301VV (i9-13900H/8G*2/RTX4060/1TB PCIe/W11/QHD/165Hz/13.4) Touch Gaming Laptop - Newegg.com

Given that price premium, I’m going to wait until the US introduction.

3 Likes

Correct, not convertible, but has 360 hinge. But the 48G ram and 4070 dGPU punches well above it’s weight class.

The circular indent on the touchpad might be interesting for zoom scrolling or video editing work when you’re without a mouse.

It’s an intriguing option to those that liked Samsung Notebook 9 I think.

Could you link the model? I can only find the standard clamshell version.

They even have the 4070 ACRNM version for an eye-watering $4300.

https://www.newegg.com/p/2WC-000N-0C5C0?Item=9SIBDCAJR82826

2 Likes

I love the surface form factor, but the other thing I’ve realized too, is the Z13 with keyboard is 3.4 pounds, whereas the Zenbook is 3.6 pounds.

I do like the inherently upright cooling of the Z13 architecture, and the detachable tablet aspect for drawing. But the Zenbook is of course usable on a lap. And the Z13 only goes up to 16G and 4060, unless you opt for the outlandish design of the ACRNM.

Decisions… decisions…

My bad, I totally misspoke about the Zenbook Pro for 360 hinge and confused myself. I’ve been staring at a bunch of ASUS laptops like the ProArt which flips to 180 and the Zenbook Flip.

2 Likes

Interesting usecase with MPP on the trackpad as well as screen:

How do you see yourself using this in the real-world? Trackpad for quick touchups / signing docs, while turning the machine around (screen forward) for full tablet use?

2 Likes

I never liked Wacom non-screen tablets to begin with.
So for me, I can’t see myself being comfortable with this use mode.

@Marty @nyb72: However, if you can wait just a bit as the current lot just sold out, $2500 on the Asus website:

ROG Flow Z13-ACRNM RMT02 | Gaming Laptops | ROG – Republic of Gamers | ROG Global (asus.com)

1 Like

I was just browsing the Asus website and I stumbled over a page I had not seen before. On it was the following table…

[The complete list of 2023 GeForce GPU power specifications in ROG and TUF Gaming Laptops | ROG - Republic of Gamers USA (asus.com)]The complete list of 2023 GeForce GPU power specifications in ROG and TUF Gaming Laptops

Note that there appears to be a “vanilla” version of the i9 / 4070 Z13, although I have not seen it mentioned before.

That would certainly be of interest…

1 Like

I’ve seen mentions of the 2050 on discord as the order page had shown up internationally. I presume the 2050 is for those who dont want really portable GPU but still have the option for XG mobile.
With this chart, I also wonder if there would ever be a 4070 non ACRNM version.

@nyb72 : I think you misunderstand; I think that’s exactly what this chart seems to suggest. The ACRNM model number is GZ301VIC. The table entry is GZ301VI. Of course, it could be a typo and the “C” got left off. I guess time will tell…