Apple's "Far Out" iPhone event September 7th

That’s one thing I respectfully disagree on with the Discourse developers. Their philosophy is, first, a quality forum member means they read the most posts, and therefore they listen well. Secondly, if they post a lot more than others in a conversation, they think that member is not a good listener and therefore not a quality member and needs to cool down to give others a chance. The problem with this is it is a “one size fits all” approach to human communication and assimilation of information. As we learn in education, there are many kinds of learners. Some people need to vocalize or verbally convey to internalize the subject matter and that is why posting may be more beneficial than quiet and introspective reading. Some people need the exhilaration and sensation of physical action which is where physically typing may be more beneficial to internalize the subject matter as well. So some are physical and others listeners.

Outside of these two examples, the forum software does not take into account the amount of time of listening and reading that a forum member engages in in real-life or outside of the forum’s digital fencing either. So you could potentially have a person who spends their whole life living on their forum island and virtually nowhere else. So since they spend virtually no time exploring and discovering life outside of their forum realm, they are naive and oblivious to anything in the outside world even though they read every single blessed post in the forum–and I have seen that happen sometimes in forum culture too.

This is a long way of saying, the forum software is wrong and you’re right. :slight_smile: There may be a way to turn this off, but I am not sure and I will look into it.

EDIT: Found it! I am turning this little “feature” off.

2 Likes

Haha, thanks! Alternatively we could customize the message. “You have typed more than 20% of the replies here, thank you for being such an active forum member!” Or “You have typed more than 20% of the replies here, shouldn’t you be out buying new tech instead?” :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

When I show up at the 20% level you are guaranteed that the BS meters should be blaring…

2 Likes

Good one! Adding it. By the way, me leaving the setting blank put a 0% cap so now even I am getting harped on by the testy forum software. So I think I will go with your idea instead… :rofl:

1 Like

Funny, I thought the same before I got my first Apple Watch two years ago. Since then I have had a 180° turn in my opinion.

• I no longer need to stop and dig my phone out of my pocket when I get a text or email or phone call while on a long walk. Heck, with cellular activated now I can leave the phone behind. Responding to them is more viable that I ever guessed—why does dictation work so much better on the watch than on my iPhone?! I notice it doesn’t second guess the first dictation and change it for the (much) worse after “phoning home” and reassessing it.
  • Today for the first time I paid with my watch at the convenience store checkout.
  • The health monitoring & reminders have changed my behavior for the good, which came as a great surprise (I thought it would be just annoying).
  • Knowing that if I slip and hit my head, rendering me helpless, or have a stroke, there’s a chance the watch will call for help… it’s actually reassuring at my age. Seriously.
  • I could go on. Let’s end it by saying I will no longer go without one. It’s almost equal in importance to my iPhone now and would replace it if it had a good camera and could serve as a hotspot. (The size limits it in both areas.)

And sheesh, so sorry. The board say, “You’ve posted more than 16% of the replies here, is there anyone else you would like to hear from?” :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

That should be fixed. The cap was temporarily changed to 0% when I thought clearing out the setting would disable it. I instead rolled the setting back to 20% and added @JoeS’s message idea to it.

2 Likes

It should say “you’ve posted more than 25% of the posts on this site. Now, STFU!”

Oh wait! That would be a Jersey message.

3 Likes

I want to get that 20% achievement, so…

One thing I couldn’t do on my Apple Watch was view a PDF. When people ask on the Apple forums how to do so inevitably some joker will reply that it’s a stupid idea, why would anyone want that?!

Well, for the daily reservations PDF I receive in the morning it would be very nice just to have some way to look things up on my watch instead of reaching into my pocket for the iPhone and maybe fumbling and watching as it falls to the asphalt pavement and crack goes the screen, as happened last year with my Boox. And I found an app that does just that:

It’s not perfect. At all. But it works for what I had in mind.

Sorry about the poor photo quality. It’s unexpectedly difficult to photograph my watch screen, especially as it times out and goes dark after five seconds, just as the iPhone camera starts getting focus. :smile_cat:

Anyway, a force press will give the option to zoom or change page. You can pan around the page with a finger. That’s all you get, and that’s all I needed. :+1:

4 Likes

Did you try to use the “digital crown” ( :nauseated_face:) for zooming in and out? Seems like an obvious way that the developer could have implemented. Otherwise, looks pretty handy!

Zooming with the digital crown was suggested in the comments on the app, but this hasn’t been updated in three years so I think it’s abandoned. Don’t expect it to change. On the plus side it apparently originally cost money to get the full features and now it’s free. :person_shrugging:

Edit: not free after all. $2 if you want to load more than one PDF at a time. It’s reasonable; I paid it.

1 Like

I am humbled by the level of rationalization displayed by folks on the MacRumors forums. e.g.:

I go to the gym a couple of times a week so I need the Ultra in my life.

We need to step up our game here!

3 Likes

And I thought we were enablers…we’re not even in the race…

2 Likes

Did someone say racing? Time to get an Apple Watch Ultra!

3 Likes

A small stumble for Apple?

Coincidentally i was in Best Buy Sunday and listened to one of the blue shirts try and utterly fail to explain why a customer would want one of the new 14 or 14 plus versus the great deals on the Pro 13 and Max.

In the end the only thing he could come up with was that the 14 was the only way to get the new purple color.

Kuo: iPhone 14 Plus Pre-Orders Worse Than iPhone 13 Mini, Product Strategy ‘Fails’ - MacRumors

3 Likes

And that will drive 80% of IPhone owners into the store for an upgrade. :vb-agree:

1 Like

Not my favorite reviewer as I’ve certainly mentioned before, but he does arrive at a lot of the same conclusions that I did about what is the most immediately noticeable difference with the Pro 14 versus the Pro 13 which is the cutout aka dynamic island.

I agree that’s it’s an interesting first step and certainly far beyond what Samsung for example or any other Android OEM has tried with their camera cut out, but OTOH it definitely feels first gen if I’m being kind, or half-baked if I’m being cynical.

Apple iPhone 14 Pro review: early adopter island - The Verge

Two other observations. It feels barely faster than my Pro 13, with the biggest difference being it starts up a bit faster. I haven’t been able to perceive any meaningful differences in the apps I regularly use.

OTOH, anyone that uses their phone cameras regularly will notice a lot of immediate differences, though I haven’t decided yet if they are improvements, a step back or just different.

One thing I see right off is that Apple seems to have doubled down on what’s been charitably called the HDR effect.

Taking a shot in our outdoor courtyard, which is exceptionally difficult to photograph due to the incredibly bright sections right next to some inky black areas. I see both more shadow and highlight detail than with my Pro 13 under the same circumstances. But here’s the thing, the new pictures don’t align with how I perceived it when I shot it especially as the darker areas now seem too light.

PS: Apple does seems to made some improvements in 5G this version especially with marginal signal strength, albeit at the cost of a couple of points in maximum throughput (a good trade off IMHO)

PPS: This is also hands down the best implementation of an always on display I’ve seen both in how it displays technically, but also what is displayed.

2 Likes

I just had to share, in usual E/N fashion, that I’ve been thinking the way it will play out for me is I’ll get the 13 Mini with the 12.9” M2 iPP this Fall as my “major life decision” for the next 2-3 years — my 2 devices for continuing to navigate life and chip away at an art career.

They slashed the base 13 Mini down to $600 so I’m just like whatever, that’s the maximum amount I can spend on a phone. Maybe the other retailers will get it a tad lower in the next few months. I don’t have any hope of spending $2000 or less, I think. I always go for 256gb on the tablet, but at least this time I’m not getting cellular. I’m basically begging Apple to take my money with a Pencil 3, and I’d have to buy a MagSafe.

You know, after a quiet spell, Samsung has some great deals going again on the Galaxy Tabs. They jacked up the trade in value again for my 4th gen iPad Pro, it looks like, and they’re offering $200 store credit. It could get even better after the Oct Apple event. I think there’s a part of me that’s secretly hoping the new iPad Pro is as lazy and disappointing as possible, kind of like the iPhone 14 LOL. Like, I’m serious with the smack I’ve been talking in the other threads (can you hear the engineers cowering in the corner, begging me not to go?): If there’s no Pencil 3, that alone is sending me out. If It’s just the M1 iPad with the camera in a better spot and MagSafe, then I’m out, and will probably just be a late adopter of the Tab S8 Ultra and Galaxy A53.

Does anyone know if there’s a buyer’s guide chart for Samsung that’s as good as the one for Apple on Macrumors? (Referring to this of course https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/)

1 Like

By the way you can just hear the engineers cowering in the corner, saying “oh no neon, please don’t go!” :wink:

I fully admit I’m not the most reasonable person. Like I seriously would want the next pencil to look something like this: Speedball Signature Series Calligraphy Set, Black and Pen Cleaner https://a.co/d/dRBo6rj

But with an “electron feather” sticking out the top that you could use to, I don’t know, manipulate the ink a bit. Also it would be a tad curved, and you’d sort of just stow it away in a pocket dimension or something.

So it’ looks like the consensus on the iPhone 14 is that it doesn’t even hit the bar of being an S update over the previous model.

We did get a demo of that satellite messaging stuff that’s coming later in the fall and it’s a niche case use, but I can see it swaying a certain group of users.

And of course she. like every other reviewer it seems, continues to bash Apple for sticking with the lightning port over USBC. I’m not going to weigh in one way or another, but they ought to at least include Apple’s response on the matter (which any Apple employee will repeat) is that the lightning port is more rugged than USBC and also easier to waterproof.

iPhone 14 review: Not an upgrade year for most | Engadget

And FWIW the consensus in our office and with my wide and daughter is that this is the best purple yet in a phone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Purple will definitely motivate more upgrades than the device itself. I have to agree with the reviewer - despite the 48 Mpxl camera upgrade, this is the most lackluster update since I bought my first iPhone in 2007. Perhaps iPhone 15 Pro will be more enticing. Taking this with a grain of salt, I realize that it is always best to include your latest processors, etc. in any computing device to keep it fresh, but this definitely didn’t merit much more than a press release for most purposes.

Perhaps the upcoming Fall (October?) event will sparkle…

1 Like