Windows on ARM

Mostly that it could delete some system files and mess up your OS.

Really, mostly people don’t need it. Programs can clear their own caches without going near system files.

But if it is more convenient for you to use CCleaner, have at it.

1 Like

I actually think Ccleaner has gotten a bit of a bad rap. Very early on it was a bit overly aggressive in things like deleting files or registry entries, but that was the Cclearner circa 2009. but not 2023.

You can potentially screw things up on your system if you go to deep into the advanced settings/options, but the default settings are actually beneficial in for instance clearing the various crap that accumulates in your web browser or when you install a program to try out and then delete it.

In other words use with appropriate caution eg. if you aren’t sure about a setting, don’t use it, but otherwise the automated stuff is a net benefit for a lot of novice users IMHO

3 Likes

In the old days it had a tendency to want to install other software during the initial setup (like Chrome, but also other things iirc), and the checkboxes weren’t super clear, like “do I need to click OK here, or can I say no and continue the installation?” They also suffered a very bad supply chain attack years ago which caused the ccleaner updater to download malware. Scary stuff.

But mostly: unless there is something very specific that it does for you, the OS is pretty good at cleaning itself these days. I’m also a bit wary of their privacy policy, not sure how much info they send to the mothership.

Personally I use it for one thing, and one thing only: browser cache and cookie clean with a cookie whitelist. It can keep certain cookies (TPCR login), so when you hit custom clean you don’t lose any of those. You can even export your whitelist, and import it on the ccleaner install on other machines. This is not something I have found elsewhere, and it’s enough to keep ccleaner installed, but with auto-update off.

3 Likes

Thank you very much everybody for your wise answers. As I already said, I seldom use CCleaner. Although I first installed it in order to uninstall apps, I ended up using iObit Pro; but CCleaner still remains in my desktop.

I have the feeling that iObit Pro is better, but I don’t have enough knowledge to prove that this feeling is right.

Well, I can confirm that WordPerfect and Adobe Acrobat 11 Pro legacy programs run perfectly on WOA. That is quite an accomplishment for Microsoft.

Good news for me if Microsoft does come out with a Go sized ARM device. As much as I like this Pro X, it is BIG!

6 Likes

Are there any cases where you appreciate the extra screen area?

I found the Go a bit too cramped for my use, but admittedly the Pro is kind of large. I think 11" 3:2 would be a pretty good compromise for my use. Here’s hoping!

I use the Go mostly docked at the office and at home. Otherwise, it is fine for the kind of work I do on the road. I am normally typing some revision, looking something up in Lexis, revieweing documents, signing something or emailing something. I don’t really see the advantage of the extra real estate of the Pro X but agree that a 3:2 profile would be nice in the Go’s size.

Now that I know that WOA runs the software I need, I am really hoping for the power boost and extended battery life, combined with a 5G modem that ARM can bring. C’mon Microsloth.

5 Likes

I hear you - much like my very limited experience between iPad Pro 11 and iPad Pro 12.9. Despite the vastly superior mLED screen of the 12.9, it just seems HUGE compare to the iPad Pro 11. Same would go for Go vs Pro - especially if you are like me and more often than not you are docked at the office and back at home if you have a big project to punch out. The Go is just so light and portable, it even makes me jealous despite my little power house SP8…

Also good to hear you can keep the faith with WordPerfect!

1 Like

I went from the Surface 3 to the Pro 5(& now 7+) & at first I found the size too big. But, after a month or so I got adjusted & I probably will not go back to a device under 11" or larger than my current Surface.

2 Likes

If you ever watched Maynard or Gilligan, every ounce saved matters…

1 Like

Think I missed the part where you bit the bullet and jumped out the window. How’s the experience with the ProX?

We were all as shocked as you are. :vb-grin:

1 Like

To be honest, I dont really know yet. Im still using the Go for work. Im still setting up the Pro X. I’ll have to buy a Win Pro license so I can upgrade to Win Pro. I need to encript the SD card so I need Pro. The seller said it would have Pro but …

My Go’s been pushed pretty hard for the past 3 years. Im seeing glitches in the graphics during Zoom calls. The unit heats up under stress. The Pro X was an inexpensive backup and I could test out WOA.

1 Like

10" is just right for me. I can fit such devices in my manbag.

I’ve even been to a night club with my Galaxy Book in tow after working during the day. The club would never have let me in with a bag big enough for a 12"er, and frankly, if they had it would still have had to go in the cloakroom.

1 Like

Remember this 76 year old’s aging eyes need! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT - the whole problem with Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, Dell, HP, and all the rest is that they need to LET OUR TRIBE design the computers, tablets, and phones for them and all will be right in this world…

5 Likes

Thinking back to 2018 when I had both the Go 1 and Galaxy Book 10.6, despite the Galaxy Book being slighty bigger, it was big enough I could type quite comfortably, more so then the Go 1 at the time. So I think it we could get an 11-inch device with little to no bezel, that will be the perfect size.

4 Likes

Sorry to jump the topic, but what’s the word down the grapevine if Qualcomm will “look the other way” regarding Parallels’ agreement with MS?

I can’t imagine they’re too happy that Hamoa now has to compete with the M-series…just as it’s about to release too.

Haven’t heard anything either way. Though given it’s Qualcomm I think something is forthcoming, though perhaps they are waiting for a stronger hand with Nuvia versus MS just saying sc3w it and killing it outright

3 Likes

Where do I look to see if a program is running in emulation?