Windows 11

Ted - I am still amazed that I have yet to find an Android app that is better (more responsive, or better looking, or better designed) tahn its iOS counterpart.

1 Like

I can think of one specific one. Samsung’s own notes app absolute clobbers Apple’s notes app. Definitely a case of the exception proves the rule though.

2 Likes

Ahhhh - but those are “competing apps” - I should have been more specific in referring to the same app on both platforms…

3 Likes

Nor I. Though I say that with the caveat that I’m not a high consumer of mobile apps. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some exceptions and surely there are some Android apps not available on i(Pad)OS.

That’s probably true - who knows what games may be better on Android, but from productivity to banking/investment to retailers to reading to you name it the same app in both universes are usually very far apart in quality and performance…

Soooooooooo…Panos…give us WOA 11 on the iPad Pro, why don’t you…

WOA 11 on the rumored Surface Pro X 11”, hopefully delayed until they can get a decent chip in it like the Snapdragon 8cx gen 3 … if it’s more substance than hype this time, that is.

1 Like

Hadn’t heard about an SPX 11…hmmmmmm

Ah, you missed the recent mention by @Desertlap

1 Like

That’s me - a day late and a dollar short…maybe a WInPad in the wind…but will WOA suffice…

2 Likes

I think the best scenario would be original windows store apps. Right now I’ve settled for PWAs and pinning websites in Edge and I don’t feel I’m missing much, TBH.
That said, the Win store Amazon appstore is not yet available outside the U.S

1 Like

So there is another admittedly niche use for the Android subsystem, though at least for now you have to jump though a lot of unnecessary hoops to do it.

I use a lot of different blue tooth devices with my various devices. Unfortunately it’s more and more of a trend that these devices have customization, configuration or firmware update functionality, but only in their Android or IOS apps and none for Windows.

Today i was trying out some new Sony Earbuds. The bad news is that even though Windows see’s them in bluetooth, you can’t actually use them until you go through a setup and configuration wizard. The problem is it’s ONLY AVAILABLE through their Android or IOS app.

Because I already have a zillion other devices connected to my phone (along with it’s App) I was interested /determined to see if I could use my Pro 8 with android app capability to do it.

So first off, the required app is not available through the Amazon App store.

Fortunately it is available on APK mirror. But of course, that means sideloading.

So after that hassle, I got the app going. but… the first thing it needs to do is push a firmware update. Which took nearly 70 minutes.

But finally it was installed and after a restart etc,

It’s a bit slow and has some minor display glitches but is functional.

So the gripe from me is what is Sony thinking here? Just make a darn Windows app and allow firmware updates via the freaking USBC port !

Geesh, does MS not get that this is more than a bit ridiculous ??? :hot_face:

EDIT: To add insult to injury, the release notes for the firmware update prominently note “improves stability and reliability with Windows PCs”…

4 Likes

Niche, but Kanji Study’s Android app is miles ahead of the iOS app.

Now the developer did abandon his iOS app for a long time… but he said it wasn’t worth the effort.

Other than some banking stuff (that can also be done in a browser), it’s the only app that I’d really like on Windows. Stuff like fitness apps I don’t really need on Windows (I can access the data online well enough, and I don’t really care enough about not being able to access it without Internet).

1 Like

Oh my goodness yes! Nearly all the Bluetooth audiophile dongles out there now have only Android and iOS apps. Some of the high end ones have advanced processing features like crossfeed, virtual surround sound, equalizers, and processing filters. Android app support bridges this gap once and for all for Windows users, of course, but the irony of top of it all is the developer who made the Android app likely did so from their PC. So literally the only reason keeping them from making a Windows app is perceived and (likely) actual demand.

The one that really kills me is emeals, my meal planning app. It’s only available as an app. My husband uses it on his iPhone if I ask him to make something I’ve planned, but I don’t know the iOS app is any better or worse. It just completely doesn’t exist on Windows. The most you can do from windows on their website is look at a full plan and download the entire shopping list for the full week plan as a PDF list. In the app, I choose meals from various plans or my saved favorites, it consolidates ingredients, then sends those to the Kroger (or others) shopping app so I can build a list for pick up. I also have to use the app to view the receipies when it’s time to cook, there’s not even a way to view receipies from their website. I would loooooooove to have a bigger screen while building the shopping list. I hate dealing with Kroger’s mobile interface. It’d also be nice to have a bigger screen sitting on the counter when cooking so I can glance at the list rather than having to pick up my phone, wake it up again, and scroll around the steps.

This might actually be enough to push me to figure out sideloading on my Pro X.

2 Likes

@violajack
From what we hear, Google is working on making the Play Store available on the actual release (not the current preview) version of the Android subsystem

As with most things these days, the sticking point is revenue. One other caveat is that the android genuine google apps such as gmail are not likely to be brought though as a compromise with Microsoft which is obviously incentivized to push its own apps.

3 Likes

Interesting, I never thought that that would happen. I guess ChromeOS is taking too long to make significant inroads in the PC market, and Google wants tracking data / ad money for user time spent on their PC? Or maybe the long game is to get more large-screen compatible Android apps, which would help Android as a tablet OS?

3 Likes

:point_up_2: THIS

2 Likes

@JoeS I think the tracking aspects are likely also a sticking point. But OTOH the paid apps are enticing to both and at least for the moment the apps on the Amazon store for Windows are all “free” except arguably the Kindle App, though it’s revenue. books is sort of a sideline thing.

We are also hearing that some EU countries as going to weigh in on this eg. why just the Amazon app store?

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

PS: In case anyone is wondering, for whatever reason sideloading MS own android apps doesn’t seem to work on their own and requires the hack of installing the play store and associated libraries/frameworks

2 Likes

The EU taking Google’s side? WHA??? :scream:

@Bishop Yeah it’s a strange world. OTOH the antipathy towards Amazon in some countries is even higher than it is to Google. So they want “open competition”

1 Like