Windows 11

Gotta sell chips!

2 Likes

From the briefing we got it’s the one of the first MS apps besides the OS itself to make specific use of the “little” cores specifically some chip specific instructions in Intel’s 12th gen BIGlittle architecture.

The upside is that they run as background processes so no performance impact to your main apps.

Of course that’s in theory…

2 Likes

Hope it doesn’t become Intel’s Little Big Horn…

Decent pun, but no it actually works quite well with software that’s updated to properly use the new Windows 11 Scheduler

1 Like

Interesting sentence. It causes me to focus on the new “shackles”: you can write all the software you want, but it’ll run better if you customize it to our [insert criteria: chip architecture, OS specific library, etc.]

The never-ending quest to control, lockin, anything but open source?

1 Like

That’s the pessimist view IMHO. The optimist says that they are always making strides in both software and chip architectures and if you want the benefits, you have to upgrade.

But no one is really forcing anyone to do that, as long as they are fine with staying precisely where they are. And in fact MS has Windows 11 LTS and Windows 10 LTS builds if you want to double down on that.

OTOH, security vulnerabilities present a bit of a conundrum IMHO. And the fact that for instance Intel STILL hasn’t fixed on a chip level many of the Spectre vulnerabilities (just software-based mitigations which impact performance) is also a sore point with many of our customers.

1 Like

Fair. Some of us get paid to anticipate nefarious motives. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

+1 :+1: and some of us routinely see ghosts and goblins…

Haley Joel Osment I See Dead People GIF - Haley Joel Osment I See Dead People Sixth Sense GIFs

1 Like

Surface Pro 9… because iPad macOS mode doesn’t exist (yet) and thanks to a proprietary, unnecessary hardware lock, our Pro 9 exclusively supports connecting to your iPhone.

1 Like

So let it be written, so let it be done…

1 Like

Yesterday got the update for 22H2 on my Go 2, much better as a tablet now. Finally a gesture to quickly show the action panel is nice and being able to group icons on the start menu. One thing I still miss from W10 is being able to make agenda meetings from the taskbar calender.

3 Likes

I haven’t really needed to make screen recordings all that often, but it’s nice that MS is finally adding this capability natively to Windows.

4 Likes

hard to believe it took them this long

3 Likes

That is nice (and logical to put it there). It would be nice if they also added screen snip back to the action panel / quick actions like W10 had it.

3 Likes

Windows 11’s 2207 release of Windows Subsystem for Android finally supports Widevine L3, opening the door to many popular Android streaming apps including Disney+ (which has a native Windows app but doesn’t allow downloads), Paramount+, Peacock and Hoopla. See this Reddit conversation between a user and Microsoft employee for details. As the user notes, “I’m one step closer to not needing my iPad”:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WSA/comments/xbtwct/psa_wsa_now_works_with_many_video_apps/

2 Likes

Any chance they’ll snag FaceTime, iMessage, and News+??? :thinking: :crazy_face: :rofl:

2 Likes

thankfully here in Europe crossplatform apps like Whatsapp/Signal are more popular (I especially like Signal in that regard).

3 Likes

So our Surfaces finally are eligible for the H22 and I updated my Pro 8 last night.

I can already see improvements in HDR support especially on external displays and disk clean up is also much more useful getting much better explanations of what each option does (or doesn’t).

OTOH ClipChamp is now the App that refuses to die. Even though I uninstalled it at least twice before, H22 brings it back :frowning:

4 Likes

Ah, the new Candy Crush.

4 Likes

Is it not interesting that MS’ own hardware almost always lags behind in update development?